• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Nored makes quick on career path-named Brownsburg's head coach

Started by bbtds, March 29, 2012, 04:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120329/SPORTS0605/203290337/Butler-s-Ronald-Nored-takes-over-Brownsburg-basketball-coach

Ron Nored, Butler senior guard and team leader, has started his post college career rather quickly by being named the head coach at Gordon Hayward's secondary education institution, Brownsburg High School.

Though Nored has no high school coaching experience, he has coached two years of summer travel basketball. Hill said Nored's reputation in basketball and the classroom outweighed his inexperience as a coach.    Hill=Greg Hill, Brownsburg athletic director

Hill said. "He's going to be learning as he goes on some of this, but we just think he has some attributes that would be almost impossible to find as a candidate."

"This is a team that is building from a group of young guys, and that's exciting for me," said Nored, who added that a phone call to Hayward convinced him to pursue the job. "The opportunity to coach 4A basketball is something I felt like I couldn't pass up."

MattCarter

The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

LaPorteAveApostle

carry on, my hayward son.  don't listen to anyone who said you're noredy for the job.

congrats and best of luck on the Loew's Senior CLASS award too.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2012, 04:48:40 PM
carry on, my hayward son.  don't listen to anyone who said you're noredy for the job.

congrats and best of luck on the Loew's Senior CLASS award too.

Howard you expecting me to respond to this? I know so many of you needed a little humor. Did you HAHN-dle this well?

StlVUFan

Somewhere on my home computer, I have a classic email from a Cardinal fan mid-october 2005, bidding sad farewell to his team, in the exact style you guys are using.  Maybe I'll post it here when I get home.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 29, 2012, 07:06:49 PM
Somewhere on my home computer, I have a classic email from a Cardinal fan mid-october 2005, bidding sad farewell to his team, in the exact style you guys are using.  Maybe I'll post it here when I get home.

that bit him in the ass about a year later

LaPorteAveApostle

I may only have been here a week but you guys are awesome.

I'm on my mobile so I'll have to be shelvin the puns for a bit.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 29, 2012, 07:17:44 PM

Huh?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"2005, A Yadier in review:  After last nite's loss, I was so mad I
wanted to mulder someone.  I acted like a luna tick.  Suddenly I got
izzy and nearly threw up my suppan.  I've spent much of the diaz think
about what went wrong, rolen the loss over in my head.  The morris I
thought about it, the morris I realized next yadier is a nunez season.
Spring is when flores bloom and our marquis players return.  This
season may have fallen through a pujols, .....  so what!?   I do not
have the gall to carp about the NLCS;  the Cards gave us 6 months of
great baseball.  I mabry sad now, but next spring I'll be reggie to
root for the great St. Louis Cardinals again.  P.S. Farewell Larry
Walker,  alas we barely knew thee."

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 29, 2012, 10:21:52 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 29, 2012, 07:17:44 PM

Huh?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"2005, A Yadier in review:  After last nite's loss, I was so mad I
wanted to mulder someone.  I acted like a luna tick.  Suddenly I got
izzy and nearly threw up my suppan.  I've spent much of the diaz think
about what went wrong, rolen the loss over in my head.  The morris I
thought about it, the morris I realized next yadier is a nunez season.
Spring is when flores bloom and our marquis players return.  This
season may have fallen through a pujols, .....  so what!?   I do not
have the gall to carp about the NLCS;  the Cards gave us 6 months of
great baseball.  I mabry sad now, but next spring I'll be reggie to
root for the great St. Louis Cardinals again.  P.S. Farewell Larry
Walker,  alas we barely knew thee."

oh. your previous post sounded to me like the person was leaving their fandom and going to a new team. which would have sucked, seeing as the very next year, they won their first world series in over 20 years.

but this letter was awesome. extra appreciation since i'm a cards fan.

StlVUFan

Ah, now I get it ;)  I wondered...

When someone asked him where he got that great capsule summary from, he responded:

"Tavaras I know, its an original.  Albert you cannot be as clever as me.  I am the king of puns and will not stop until you cry ankiel."

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 29, 2012, 11:19:49 PM
Ah, now I get it ;)  I wondered...

When someone asked him where he got that great capsule summary from, he responded:

"Tavaras I know, its an original.  Albert you cannot be as clever as me.  I am the king of puns and will not stop until you cry ankiel."

:clap:

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2012, 10:14:31 PM

This kind of Macks of sarcasm. Of keeping up with the Joneses. If you go Kampen in the Woods be sure to take your BlackSmith and Butcher so as not to be out of food or shoes for your horses. If you run into the Marshall Fromm Clarkesville just Hopkins on your horses and ride away. The most important thing is to not forget your Smeathers pillow. Be as dedicated as possible so you don't set the Barlow. Don't miss your shots and stand Stigall and be ahead or at least even Stevens.

MattCarter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2012, 10:14:31 PMI may only have been here a week but you guys are awesome. I'm on my mobile so I'll have to be shelvin the puns for a bit.
Its a fun board.  I personally would have loved the user name "TheGhostOfJimFord".  I have fond memories of a game where he hit so many 3's, the PA guy went from "JIM FORD FOR THREEE.....to JIIIIIIIIM FOOOOOOORRRRRD FOR THREE....to yeah that was Jim again for 3".  Funniest thing ever.  I was maybe 7 or 8.

valporun

Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2012, 01:51:12 AM

This kind of Macks of sarcasm. Of keeping up with the Joneses. If you go Kampen in the Woods be sure to take your BlackSmith and Butcher so as not to be out of food or shoes for your horses. If you run into the Marshall Fromm Clarkesville just Hopkins on your horses and ride away. The most important thing is to not forget your Smeathers pillow. Be as dedicated as possible so you don't set the Barlow. Don't miss your shots and stand Stigall and be ahead or at least even Stevens.

Don't forget your Campbell soup, should you get hungry. The trails can be mighty Veasley....

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on March 30, 2012, 10:03:46 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2012, 01:51:12 AM

Don't forget your Campbell soup, should you get hungry. The trails can be mighty Veasley....

The wrong way on a trail could lead you to your Graves......maybe send you falling off an Aldridge.....possibly slip on some Lewis rocks....keep an eye out for falling rocks off cliffs and Archeys.....watch out for Green patches so you don't slip and fall on your (guess the remaining coach, graduated from IPFW in '98.....I think you'll Crone when you read the answer)

LaPorteAveApostle

wow...i thought i was good...but now i feel like butler in the a-10.

valporun

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 30, 2012, 11:21:38 AM

I guess we have "ring around the Collier"...

bbtds

You spend 6 years watching a school the same size as Valpo get mentioned on the sports news every night. You learn their names and cringe at the publicity which Valpo could have had at least had some of in previous years.

I thought you might enjoy this. I still can't find a picture of Jim Ford though.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-12-18/sports/sp-1072_1_notre-dame

College Basketball Roundup : Notre Dame's Luck Runs Out, Valparaiso Wins in Overtime

December 18, 1988|From Associated Press

Valparaiso University stunned No. 19 Notre Dame, 71-68, in overtime as Scott Anselm scored 21 points and made 2 foul shots with 16 seconds left to seal the upset Saturday night at Valparaiso, Ind.

Mike Jones' layup at the buzzer lifted Valparaiso into a 64-64 tie at the end of regulation play.

Notre Dame (4-1) led, 55-46, with 8:46 remaining and was ahead, 64-59, with 31 seconds left before twice missing the front end of one-and-one foul shots, allowing the Crusaders to rally.

Valparaiso (3-6) fell behind, 68-64, with 3:17 remaining in overtime before holding the Irish scoreless the rest of the way. Scott Blum hit a 3-pointer to make it 68-67 with 2:44 left, and Jim Ford's dunk with 44 seconds to go put Valparaiso ahead.

Anselm's 2 foul shots gave the Crusaders a 3-point lead, and Notre Dame missed 3 3-point attempts at the end. Mike Jones finished with 19 points and Ford 13. Valparaiso made 10 3-point shots, including 4 by Ford and 3 by Anselm.

"I am very proud of this team," Valparaiso Coach Hower Drew said. "Miracles do happen."

Joe Fredrick scored 20 points for Notre Dame.

historyman

Quote from: valporun on March 30, 2012, 11:54:26 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 30, 2012, 11:21:38 AM

I guess we have "ring around the Collier"...

What's a Matta with you? Cat got your Lickliter?

LaPorteAveApostle

I hinkle be ok.  Just when you think I'm plump outta material...

MattCarter

Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2012, 12:07:57 PM"I am very proud of this team," Valparaiso Coach Hower Drew said. "Miracles do happen." Joe Fredrick scored 20 points for Notre Dame.
Ah yes the "Lutheran Miracle".  My mom purchased it on VHS and was asking the other day for me to transfer it to DVD.  Amazing how much hair Homer had then lol.  Someone around here like ValpoFred should be able to find us a Jim Ford picture or two...if they can find video of the 61-62 team surely there is enough for a Jim Ford tribute video

bbtds

In his first year of being the head coach at Brownsburg High School Ron Nored is 3-8 so far.

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/boyslogs31.htm

Brownsburg doesn't play an easy schedule. One of their losses this year was a 4 point loss to Bowman Academy.

bbtds

There was a story on Brownsburg's boys basketball coach in today's Indy Star:

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20130128/SPORTS02/130128024/Ronald-Nored-trying-bring-Butler-Way-Brownsburg-hoops

Ronald Nored trying to bring The Butler Way to Brownsburg hoops

BROWNSBURG, Ind. — Ronald Nored — that name might ring a Final Four bell — is only 22. Guys that age are still at fraternity parties, not head varsity coaches in the high-octane world of Indiana high school basketball.

In other words, how do you lower the boom and bench starters on academic issues when you look almost young enough to play in the pep band?

Well, he can.

Ronald Nored? A guard on Butler's two teams that Cinderella-ed their way into the national championship game. Now coach of the Brownsburg Bulldogs, a 40-minute drive from Butler's campus.

"This is all I've wanted to do for a very long time, since I was a junior in high school,'" he said, sitting in his office, with a picture of Butler's Final Four banners on the wall. "In college, people would say, 'You want to play basketball after this (professionally)? No, I don't want to play basketball. When my senior year is over, I want to coach.'"

We're not talking the Hickory Huskers. Brownsburg is a school of nearly 2,300 students, which won a state championship in 2008 with Gordon Hayward, now of the Utah Jazz and also the 2010 Butler star who was on the back end of a good many Nored assists. Hayward's father is one of Nored's assistants.

The great circle of basketball life.

"There are guys that come here wanting to be coaches,'' Butler coach Brad Stevens said over the phone. "And Ronald was one of them."

How are things going? Challenging.

The Bulldogs are 4-9, trying to break a slump of three consecutive losing seasons. Ask Nored what has been hardest and the answer is immediate: "Teaching these kids how to win."

Nored also has been insisting on the Butler Way, which drew such acclaim as the upstarts barnstormed through a couple of Marches. Accountability, academics, the right attitude. All which has made Stevens such a hot commodity. That, and the winning.

"In college, I got to see the best guy in the country do it every day,'' Nored said. "All we did at Butler was talk about culture and building character. That's what we talk about here.''

So what happened when Brownsburg players didn't meet Nored's academic standards? Four missed a game, including two starters.

What happened when a player had his third strike for behavior? Nored walked the young man to his parents and told them to take him home, he was no longer part of the program.

"Basketball has to end for everybody at some point,'' Nored said. "Setting that precedent early is something I found very important, and something that is life-lasting. If we lose games because guys have to sit, that's how it is.''

At least two men like what they've seen so far.

One is Stevens.

"I want my kids around him. I want him to be a part of their lives because of the kind of person he is,'' Stevens said. "My advice to him was he can't get caught up in results, or the number of wins and losses. He's just got to get caught up in the growth of his team. When we've talked, he's done a wonderful job of recognizing and being aware of that.''

Another wears a purple Brownsburg sweater to nearly every game; school superintendent Jim Snapp. His decision last spring to hire Nored at 22 surprised a lot of people, including Ronald Nored.

Snapp had read about Nored's leadership abilities and attended a Butler practice watching every Nored move. He talked to the Hayward family, and Stevens.

"Some people said it's kind of a risky hire. I never believed that. We did our due diligence,'' Snapp said. "This guy's done more at 22 than a lot of people. We had the perfect job for the perfect person, not only in coaching.''

Nored is also an academic coach/counselor for the freshman class. He's yet to get his first technical foul and looks at the picture of those Butler banners every day, as a reminder of what is possible. But he has never watched the tape of the 2011 championship game loss to Connecticut — when Butler's shooting infamously fell apart — and never will.

His only playing now is done with his staff and friends in a recreational league. Their team name: The Real Gordon Haywards.

Thirteen games on the job have been enough to understand how good the high school players and coaches are in this state. "I didn't expect anything easy,'' Nored said.

But then, beating Syracuse and Michigan State in March wasn't easy, either.

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/boyslogs31.htm

Pike Township will be the power in the Decatur Central sectional that Brownsburg will need to beat.  Of course for Matt Kenney's sake we should be cheering for Mooresville against Terre Haute North and the Martinsville Artesians, John Wooden's town, in the Pioneers own Mooresville sectional.  Last year after going 17-3 during the regular season Mooresville beat Martinsville and lost to Terre Haute North 80-63.