• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

For Indy guys: Why can't the Pacers draw fans yet?

Started by bbtds, March 30, 2012, 10:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

They have certainly improved. David West, George Hill, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Paul George etc. have all made great strides. Currently 5th in the east and will make the playoffs again. Yet Larry Bird is begging for fans in his new ad campaign.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/2011-12PacersAdvertisingCampaign.html

bbtds

I guess this answers my question.

The Pacers stole one away from the Knicks tonight at Bankers Mutual. I guess the Lin-sanity has caused all Knicks' fans to actually go Lin-sane.

valporun

"Lin-sanity" is no more for the 2011-2012 season. He suffered a season-ending knee injury last week.

milanmiracle

There was a huge backlash from the brawl and arrests over the last few years that many Pacers fans still haven't gotten over. There was a general perception that management wasn't acting quickly enough to remedy the situation and the fans turned their backs on the team. There are still casual basketball fans here who associate them with the thug life of the past. As of a few days ago you Gould still get tickets for $5.00. I went to the game the other night and the attendance was about 5 thousand or less. Announced attendance and real attendance are not the same. It was sad really.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

After the Pacers thrashing of the Heat in game 3 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse do you at least think the fans will be coming back during the season next fall? Once you get this deep in the playoffs and takeover a lead in the series from the proverbial best remaining team in your conference the fans will come for sellouts or near sellouts.

Would the Pacers have won game 2 if the Heat weren't missing Chris Bosh?

Do Lebron James & Dwayne Wade have the leadership skills to bring the Heat back in this series?

How about Ron Hunter's protege' George Hill and his 20 point performance against the Heat? That guy could always score a ton of points and playing for the ever-present-in-the-playoffs Spurs has already made George Hill a seasoned playoff player.

Even if these young Pacers don't win this series they have come strides away from the "brawl" years.

I even liked the fact that Danny Granger was tugging on "Superman's cape," Lebron James' uniform and not backing down when James threw out his elbow at Granger after the tugging. Getting in Lebron's face may not have been necessary but showing your resolve certainly was pleasing to Pacer fans.

valporun

The Pacers would really have to do a lot to invest in winning consistently, not just being content with winning enough games to get the 8th seed yearly.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on May 21, 2012, 11:35:06 AM
The Pacers would really have to do a lot to invest in winning consistently, not just being content with winning enough games to get the 8th seed yearly.

Third seed in the eastern conference is a long way from 8th seed. I believe this current team of Pacers will only improve as many are on the younger side of the median age in the NBA.

valporun

A 66-game schedule did a lot to mess up some of the better teams, so don't get too carried away with them being the 3 seed this year, when the best team was outed in the first round.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on May 21, 2012, 10:15:36 PM
A 66-game schedule did a lot to mess up some of the better teams, so don't get too carried away with them being the 3 seed this year, when the best team was outed in the first round.

It messed up the Bulls & Lakers and had no effect on the Pacers, Spurs, Heat, Thunder....etc. hmmmmmmm

Well, we'll see if the Pacers have any intestinal fortitude left tonight in game 6 against the very talented Heat.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on May 24, 2012, 10:16:17 AM

It messed up the Bulls & Lakers and had no effect on the Pacers, Spurs, Heat, Thunder....etc. hmmmmmmm

Well, we'll see if the Pacers have any intestinal fortitude left tonight in game 6 against the very talented Heat.

given the suspensions that the league just hit miami with, i see no reason for it not to go to 7 games. especially in indy. the pacers beat up on the heat even with haslem and pittman, so hopefully they can do it again without them.

bbtds

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 24, 2012, 11:45:30 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 24, 2012, 10:16:17 AM

given the suspensions that the league just hit miami with, i see no reason for it not to go to 7 games. especially in indy. the pacers beat up on the heat even with haslem and pittman, so hopefully they can do it again without them.

With the way James & Wade are playing I really don't think it matters a great deal if Haslem & Pittman play or not. It's up to Granger to tough it out if at all possible (play a Jordan-type play-thru-the-misery game) and some Pacers like Hill, George, West, Barbosa & Collison to get red hot. Maybe Granger will be guarded by Miller for a few possessions and Danny can hide his shoe for just enough points to make the difference.  ;)

vuweathernerd

my hopes were dashed. and the celtics don't stand much of a chance either, imo. the best bet to stop the heat from getting their rings is whoever comes out of the western conference.

bbtds

It was very disappointing. I really don't believe the Pacers played that much better than they did Tuesday in Miami. The passing "like champions" that Coach Vogel was asking for was not even close. The team with the better talent won.