• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Huegli/Miller

Started by 78crusader, April 30, 2012, 03:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

The VU Construction web site says Miller and Huegli are coming down this summer.  I had thought these two buildings were slated for the wrecking ball next summer, not this summer.  Work on the Chapel will also begin this summer, according to the website.  So, I'm thinking the next construction projects will be the new dorm and a re-do of Meier Hall in order to accommodate the Education Department.

I won't miss the back side of Huegli -- the ancient window air conditioners are an eyesore -- but I will miss the cross that is part of the SE corner facade.  It is a nice touch and I hope VU will replicate that look in one of the newer buildings.  While I'm at it, the front part of the new academic building -- with the word art -- is not a good look, in my opinion.  Modern is ok, but that is TOO modern. 

Paul

valpopal

I wouldn't rely too much on the information contained on that page, much of which appears to be a year old despite the update about the Welcome Center. For instance, it also notes "construction to begin on new academic building": "anticipation of construction starting on the new yet-to-be-named building in late October or early November." It also speaks about the upcoming construction of the Fites Center.  ???

vuweathernerd

i know firsthand that the bit about the chapel is true. when pastor jim was up here over spring break with students working on flood relief, we talked about it some, and he mentioned it. they're also not holding any weddings there this summer.

okinawatyphoon

If Miller is torn down the summer, are we to assume that Meier will also be renovated this summer to accommodate the education program?
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on April 30, 2012, 06:55:57 PM
If Miller is torn down the summer, are we to assume that Meier will also be renovated this summer to accommodate the education program?

that'd be a logical assumption

78crusader

I'm assuming this stuff is accurate since the construction page was updated 4-23-12.  Paul

agibson

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on April 30, 2012, 06:55:57 PM

That's the plan, last I heard.  Maybe it's already started.  It's why Meier faculty moved into the new building first, at Spring Break.

valporun

agibson, I'm thinking some of the moving faculty to the new building is in preparation for it's use during summer classes on those hotter days?

agibson

Interesting; could be, I'm not sure.  I think all of the faculty who will move will be invited to move this summer - not sure of dates.

But, I know that they got a couple groups out early (foreign language, economics) because of planned renovations elsewhere.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on May 03, 2012, 11:58:01 AM
Interesting; could be, I'm not sure.  I think all of the faculty who will move will be invited to move this summer - not sure of dates.

But, I know that they got a couple groups out early (foreign language, economics) because of planned renovations elsewhere.

The stated goal is to move all faculty into the new building by May 25.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on May 03, 2012, 01:18:28 PMThe stated goal is to move all faculty into the new building by May 25.

No reason to dilly-dally, I suppose.  Get them all in the first week after commencement.

valpopal

Quote from: 78crusader on April 30, 2012, 03:12:14 PM
The VU Construction web site says Miller and Huegli are coming down this summer.  I had thought these two buildings were slated for the wrecking ball next summer, not this summer.  Work on the Chapel will also begin this summer, according to the website.  So, I'm thinking the next construction projects will be the new dorm and a re-do of Meier Hall in order to accommodate the Education Department.

I won't miss the back side of Huegli -- the ancient window air conditioners are an eyesore -- but I will miss the cross that is part of the SE corner facade.  It is a nice touch and I hope VU will replicate that look in one of the newer buildings.  While I'm at it, the front part of the new academic building -- with the word art -- is not a good look, in my opinion.  Modern is ok, but that is TOO modern. 

Paul

The cross has been moved into the new A&S building. Here is a picture I took of the main staircase:

okinawatyphoon

wow, I like the placement of the cross.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

Quote from: 78crusader on April 30, 2012, 03:12:14 PM
The VU Construction web site says Miller and Huegli are coming down this summer.  I had thought these two buildings were slated for the wrecking ball next summer, not this summer. 

I forgot to mention I have confirmed that the scheduled demolition of Huegli has been moved up to this summer, which is why the faculty will all be moved swiftly to the new building by May 25. I'm assuming a similar schedule is planned for demolition of Miller.