• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UDM trying to reload

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, May 01, 2012, 05:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

I've disparaged their chances in other posts before--because they are losing a ton of minutes, especially frontcourt--but looks like they're trying to reload on the fly:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120501/SPORTS0203/205010411/1004/SPORTS/Detroit-Mercy-basketball-signs-front-court-player-Ugochukwu-Njoku

Njoku is 6'11" but just 220 (man, wish I had that problem) and winner of the Most Specific Award Maybe Ever:  the "Michigan Community College Athletic Association Eastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year".

Shot-blocker and rebounder.  Paging Moussa Mbaye...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 01, 2012, 05:40:32 PM
Njoku is 6'11" but just 220 (man, wish I had that problem) and winner of the Most Specific Award Maybe Ever:  the "Michigan Community College Athletic Association Eastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year".

6-11/220? kevin and capo will eat this kid alive.

motowntitan

It should be fun next year.

Yes, we lose Holman and Lowe, but we get back:

Ray, Calliste, Dunkin Doug, and Minnerath back from injury.

We add Juwan Howard Jr in, and that is a solid starting 5.

We just need our new bigs to rebound and block.

dylanrocks

I look for Detroit to be solidly in the mix for the conference championship along with Valpo and Butler.

With Sykes and Brown, GB figures to be a factor, but just doesn't have any recent history of conference success.

As Brad Stevens said, Butler's farewell tour may just be the best season in league annals ... at least since 1998, that is.

motowntitan

Dylan,

Agreed.  I would still throw in YSU (with no bench) in the Top 5.  I think you guys (UM) have lost too much, but enough to compete in the middle with CSU.  UIC and Loyola will both improve (they can't get much worse). 

Wright State will be the next school looking for a new coach.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 01, 2012, 05:40:32 PM
I've disparaged their chances in other posts before--because they are losing a ton of minutes, especially frontcourt--but looks like they're trying to reload on the fly:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120501/SPORTS0203/205010411/1004/SPORTS/Detroit-Mercy-basketball-signs-front-court-player-Ugochukwu-Njoku

Shot-blocker and rebounder.  Paging Moussa Mbaye...

LOL

dylanrocks

Good stuff, Motown.

Can someone explain why there's any buzz at all about Cleveland State, Anton Grady notwithstanding?

After all, the Vikings lose four-fifths of their starting lineup from a year ago.

If I were doing preseason projections today (there's still some recruiting to do), I'd have us solidly in the sixth spot.

1, Valparaiso
2, Butler
3, Detroit
4, Green Bay
5, Youngstown State
6, Milwaukee
7, Cleveland State
8, Loyola
9, UIC
10, Wright State

LaPorteAveApostle

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/michigan/post?id=4904&_slug_=brundidge-transfers-to-detroit&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fcolleges%2fmichigan%2fpost%3fid%3d4904%26_slug_%3dbrundidge-transfers-to-detroit

I guess it makes sense that we were trying to get in on this kid, but I don't see that there was a chance given his home and the competition.  This will not be a problem until 13-14, but even though Carlton Brundidge was useless to us at UM last year, he will get one year to team up with McCallum.  Then they should have a pretty good team, but we'll burn that bridge when we get there.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

LaPorteAveApostle

"possibly" = "definitely".

wow.  that reeks to high heaven.  but somewhere, Saban & Miles are smiling and tenting their fingers.

you stay classy, UDM...but don't bother recruiting Indianapolis any more.

covufan

The Calhoun situation is a little fishy.  Why wait until June to tell a recruit they were not accepted.  Why not return his calls?  It really smells like they had a chance for a transfer, but needed to free up a scholarship - and Calhoun was the odd man out.  Using acceptance to Detroit as the problem, especially of an already marginal student.  Just seems fishy. 

I hope that IndyStar is able to get more information and report later. 

covufan

Quote from: covufan on June 15, 2012, 05:30:48 PM
The Calhoun situation is a little fishy.  Why wait until June to tell a recruit they were not accepted.  Why not return his calls?  It really smells like they had a chance for a transfer, but needed to free up a scholarship - and Calhoun was the odd man out.  Using acceptance to Detroit as the problem, especially of an already marginal student.  Just seems fishy. 

Has Calhoun landed anywhere?  I hope that he channels his energy into both his schooling and the basketball court, and does well in college.

zvillehaze

Quote from: covufan on September 05, 2012, 09:00:38 AM

Has Calhoun landed anywhere?  I hope that he channels his energy into both his schooling and the basketball court, and does well in college.

IPFW.  http://www.gomastodons.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball   I don't know for sure, but I heard at one time that he might need to walk-on his first year due to the scholarship situation.

motowntitan

FYI- This is not news- Happens all the time:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/62498/ron-pattersons-services-in-high-demand

This kid found out like 3 weeks ago he could't get accepted at IU.  Another kid from Providence became a partial qualifier this week.

EddieCabot

Quote from: motowntitan on September 05, 2012, 08:21:43 PM

FYI- This is not news- Happens all the time:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/62498/ron-pattersons-services-in-high-demand

This kid found out like 3 weeks ago he could't get accepted at IU.  Another kid from Providence became a partial qualifier this week.

"Happens all the time" isn't supported by two other examples.  But I will concede that it does seem to happen when coaches with questionable integrity run out of scholarships.