• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

#1 Crusader Baseball @ Horizon League Tourney

Started by jetz, May 20, 2012, 02:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

You would think that this is the correct information, since it is coming from the University now on the athletics website.  Apparently our last 'D-1' appearance was in 1968 (total of 5 in our history), with 4 'D-2':

Looking to End a Long Drought: The Crusaders are looking for the Horizon League Tournament title to earn the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Baseball Championships.  Valpo has not been to an NCAA Tournament in baseball since 1976 in the college division (Division II).  The Crusaders made appearances in the college division tournament in 1969, 1972, 1974, and 1976.  Valpo has not been in the NCAA Tournament  in Division I (then known as the university division) since 1968.  The Crusaders also had university division tournament appearances in 1958, 1963, 1966, and 1967.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11824/crusader-baseball-ready-for-horizon-league-tournament/
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on May 22, 2012, 02:14:26 PM
You would think that this is the correct information, since it is coming from the University now on the athletics website.  Apparently our last 'D-1' appearance was in 1968 (total of 5 in our history), with 4 'D-2':

Looking to End a Long Drought: The Crusaders are looking for the Horizon League Tournament title to earn the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Baseball Championships.  Valpo has not been to an NCAA Tournament in baseball since 1976 in the college division (Division II).  The Crusaders made appearances in the college division tournament in 1969, 1972, 1974, and 1976.  Valpo has not been in the NCAA Tournament  in Division I (then known as the university division) since 1968.  The Crusaders also had university division tournament appearances in 1958, 1963, 1966, and 1967.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11824/crusader-baseball-ready-for-horizon-league-tournament/

I think that settles it!!  :whiteflag:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

OVER??? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until MEL DOERING says it is!
Was it over when the Cleveland State coach threw the pep band's drumstick onto the ARC floor!??!??
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusaderjoe

Question: Does VU have any banners hanging anywhere in any athletic facility representing these five D-I tournament appearances?  If not, we absolutely should place them somewhere.  A 1958 D-I tournament appearance?  That's some substantial sports history right there.

VULB#62

Great point Joe.

And what about the ICC championships etc.? Maybe there's something in a trophy cabinet somewhere? But.......

Why aren't those dates painted on the outfield wall or under the scoreboard at Em Bauer Field?

Somebody who corresponds with Coach Woodson should plant that idea.  Adds to the home field aura/advantage.

valpotx

There wasn't any references to the championships during my time, other than at the entrance to the facility on a brown sign with yellow lettering, which used to be fenced-in.  I don't remember how it was referenced, but they didn't distinguish between levels of competition.  When I was on campus in March, I noticed that they did away with the fence around the parking area, which made it more inviting.  I didn't remember to see if the brown sign was still there though.  Any trophies should be in the trophy case, but I never really looked in the ARC's trophy case while in school.  I also agree that any past appearances should be displayed somewhere, whether on the OF walls or in the clubhouse.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

As a new member of the Valpo baseball family, I really appreciate all the baseball history I've read here from everybody.  I was obviously misinformed when I posted something about a "first ever NCAA appearance", and I'm glad Valpo has such a history.  I did not post that comment after hearing it from any current coach--no current coach or player has ever said that to me.  Part of my mistaken impression came from the fact that, as mentioned above, there is no recognition that I know of in the ARC or at the baseball facility of these prior appearances.  I was already planning on mentioning that we put a conference title on the outfield wall--I thought it would be cool to finally have a season mentioned as a conference champion or maybe an NCAA appearance.  So I will mention this after the season is complete, to include all past years conference championships and NCAA appearances as well.  I notice this at several other fields, and I think should be able to show potential recruits that Valpo baseball has been there and can get there today. 

Also, I like to find out a school's baseball history.  The talk here and research on line has been a good education for me regarding Valpo baseball and the past machinations of the NCAA tourney.  I believe the current regime does appreciate all the past alumni and their contributions, and hopefully we can move towards more visible recognition at the baseball facility in the offseason. 

Now, on to the business of taking the first step towards a 2012 tournament title...GO VALPO!
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

vu72

Quote from: jetz on May 23, 2012, 09:50:25 AM
As a new member of the Valpo baseball family, I really appreciate all the baseball history I've read here from everybody.  I was obviously misinformed when I posted something about a "first ever NCAA appearance", and I'm glad Valpo has such a history.  I did not post that comment after hearing it from any current coach--no current coach or player has ever said that to me.  Part of my mistaken impression came from the fact that, as mentioned above, there is no recognition that I know of in the ARC or at the baseball facility of these prior appearances.  I was already planning on mentioning that we put a conference title on the outfield wall--I thought it would be cool to finally have a season mentioned as a conference champion or maybe an NCAA appearance.  So I will mention this after the season is complete, to include all past years conference championships and NCAA appearances as well.  I notice this at several other fields, and I think should be able to show potential recruits that Valpo baseball has been there and can get there today. 

Also, I like to find out a school's baseball history.  The talk here and research on line has been a good education for me regarding Valpo baseball and the past machinations of the NCAA tourney.  I believe the current regime does appreciate all the past alumni and their contributions, and hopefully we can move towards more visible recognition at the baseball facility in the offseason. 

Now, on to the business of taking the first step towards a 2012 tournament title...GO VALPO!

Good post and I certainly agree that the outfield wall would be a great place to acknowledge these past and current accomplishments. valpotx, as a former player, did mention a wall presumably in the clubhouse which has these former championships noted.  I have never been in the facility so don't know personally.

As for the ARC, I think those banners are reserved for activities played there, which include only basketball and volleyball.  If you go to the practice facility (hilltop) you will see numerous pictures and banners honoring previous NCAA participants, including those prior to D1.

The idea that Coach Woodson would somehow ignore previous teams or players just seems silly and I'm glad you cleared that up.  Current players don't have any money!  One such previous player, who has been a big financial supporter of baseball, and who is a fraternity brother of mine, is Pat Scala, (yes, the meat baron), whose son played for the Crusaders.

It is so much fun to be talking about and enjoying other sports.  This year has been a blast and sure hope it continues!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

The brown sign I was mentioning was actually outside by the front entrance to the parking area (maybe 100 yards from the clubhouse), not in the actual clubhouse.  I should have been more clear in what I meant by 'facility.'

Neat that your fraternity brother was Mickey's dad!  Mickey had transferred in from TCU for either his last year, or last two years when I had just started playing at VU.  He was a solid player!

"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Believe it or not YSU knocks off Milwaukee 8-4.  UIC wins at Les Miller Field over Butler 10-1.

Valpo takes on YSU at 8:00 p.m. Central time.

Butler plays Milwaukee at 10:00 a.m. Central

UIC plays Wright State at 3:00 p.m. Central

FYI, there is an 11:00 p.m. Southshore train from Millennium Station and also a 12:45 a.m. train (in case you get the munchies and don't have commitments in the early morning)

jetz

YSU starts eight left handed batters.  Deetjen is a lefty.  Sean Kennedy (Valpo releiver) is a lefty and will probably be first out of the pen.   ;D

ml

We are very proud of our baseball tradition.  Last year we created the "Hall of Champions" in the ARC.  There is a team picture of every one of our conference championship teams all the way back to the 1945 ICC football team.  It includes everyone of the baseball championship teams mentioned in this thread.  We also have hung pictures of teams that played in the NCAA post season (regardless of classification) that were not conference championships.  This also includes a number of baseball teams from the 60's and 70's. 

Over the last few years we have inducted 6 baseball players and the 1968 team into the Hall of Fame.  The 2012 class included Russ Steinbeck an All-American in baseball from the Class of 1967.

If Coach Bauer's number was retired we were not aware.  I am going to talk with Bill Steinbrecher regarding that matter, if it is true we will stop using #8.

Coach Woodson & I have discussed recognizing our championships and All-Americans with signs in the outfield.  To this point in time we have had other priorities connected with the condition of the playing field and the clubhouse.  It is our sincere hope to raise the money at some point in the future to enable that recognition to happen.

Coach Woodson and I have been talking since his first day on campus of restoring baseball to the levels established by the program under Coach Bauer in the 50's 60's and 70's.  We have been making steady progress and are excited to have taken a significant step this year.

We have a great baseball tradition, we want to honor it by adding to it. 

jetz

Thanks for the post Mark.  I take it the outfield sign matter is settled.  Appreciate you reading and responding.  Hope we can win you another HL title this weekend.  GO VALPO!

valpotx

That definitely was not expected for YSU to beat Milwaukee.   Such is the unpredictable nature of college baseball.  Hopefully the guys do not take them lightly, so that we can be one step closer to the NCAA tourney!  Just winning this game against YSU will help save so much of our pitching in keeping us in the winner's bracket.  I have always said that if we get to the tourney I will be there, regardless of Regional site.  It is obviously premature to talk about an NCAA Regional, but it seems like the HL champion usually gets sent to TX or somewhere else in the Southwest, so it would be an easy trip for me  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on May 24, 2012, 01:02:45 AM
That definitely was not expected for YSU to beat Milwaukee.   Such is the unpredictable nature of college baseball.  Hopefully the guys do not take them lightly, so that we can be one step closer to the NCAA tourney!  Just winning this game against YSU will help save so much of our pitching in keeping us in the winner's bracket.  I have always said that if we get to the tourney I will be there, regardless of Regional site.  It is obviously premature to talk about an NCAA Regional, but it seems like the HL champion usually gets sent to TX or somewhere else in the Southwest, so it would be an easy trip for me  :)

Lots I want to say here, valpotx, but you can't suck me in to that jinx black hole again!   :lol:  I am thinking only about beating the Fighting Penguins tonight and looking no further.  I'll be at UIC in the mid afternoon today..."One game at a time."  (Biggest sports cliche ever.)

bbtds

11:00 a.m. DFW to O'Hare American Airlines flight 2344 arrives 1:15 p.m. $789.60 Round trip
Blue line train directly to UIC/Haltead stop $2.25 (towards Forest Park) approximately 2:30 p.m
Halstead #8 bus from blue line station to Roosevelt. $2.25  approximately 2:45 p.m.
Just in time for the 3:00 p.m. game UIC vs. Wright State game. $25 ticket for rest of HL tournament

How supportive of your team are you? 

valpotx

Haha, considering I took an impromptu trip up to Valpo for the men's basketball conference tournament game against Butler on 2 day's notice, I would say very supportive.  I can't make this tournament due to family obligations, but I have been to 9 of the last 12 tourneys!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on May 24, 2012, 09:35:45 AM
Haha, considering I took an impromptu trip up to Valpo for the men's basketball conference tournament game against Butler on 2 day's notice, I would say very supportive.  I can't make this tournament due to family obligations, but I have been to 9 of the last 12 tourneys!

Too bad. I was going to offer you a side trip to a car race in Indy this coming weekend.  ;D

bbtds

Milwaukee back to beating up on the Bulldogs, they are up 7-0 in the bottom of the 3rd inning with runners on 1st & 2nd, 2 out.

EDIT: Panthers don't stop and score 5 more on a double, hit by pitch and home run for 12-0 lead still in bottom of 3rd. 2 out.

Wind blowing very briskly from right to left field is a big factor today. Windy City is a great nickname for Chicago today.

Of course if Butler doesn't get back in the game with 2 runs if this was 6th or 7th inning the game would be over soon. Bulldogs lead off with homer in top of 4th inning. Oh yeah, college baseball doesn't have to use the mercy rule. Good thing.

valpotx

As much as I would like to see Milwaukee lose because they are a good opponent, you can't help but smile when another Butler team is on the verge of elimination  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Chicago has a wind advisory which actually doesn't start till 4:00 p.m. till 8:00 p.m. today.

Milwaukee's Meeteer hit's his 1st home run ever in college and Panthers go up 14-1 after 4th inning ends.

Let's hope the wind dies a bit for the YSU/Valpo game.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on May 24, 2012, 11:38:51 AM
Chicago has a wind advisory which actually doesn't start till 4:00 p.m. till 8:00 p.m. today.

Milwaukee's Meeteer hit's his 1st home run ever in college and Panthers go up 14-1 after 4th inning ends.

Let's hope the wind dies a bit for the YSU/Valpo game.

keep the ball down, and it shouldn't matter as much. ;)

bbtds

Milwaukee doesn't get a run in 6th inning the first time since the 1st inning. The Panthers are up 19-1. Butler does have the bases loaded in the top of the 7th inning with 2 out.

I found it interesting that Butler's season went bad when they lost to Xavier in April in what a color guy from Butler said was a game where Butler was better in every way. Makes you wonder what will happen if they lose to Xavier when they are both in the A-10.

EDIT:Butler doesn't score in top of 7th inning.

valpotx

Isn't it the Butler Way to say that they are better than everyone else, even when they lose?  I am sure the Butler Way has a reason for why they are getting spanked 19-1 as well  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Milwaukee spanks Butler out of the tournament with a final score of 19-2.

I wonder if the next game between UIC & WSU will be wind-enhanced?? too.