• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Vavra's dad just a few blocks south

Started by bbtds, May 25, 2012, 07:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

While the scores were going across the screen last night on ESPN as I watched a recording of the Pacers/Heat game, I realized that Tanner Vavra's dad, Twins hitting coach, Joe Vavra, was doing his job just down the interstate at 35th & the Dan Ryan at U.S. Cellular Field. Hopefully Joe had some time during the day to spend with his son, Tanner, and get details of the Valpo victory before the Twins flew back to Minneapolis to take on the Tigers tonight. Who knows maybe Joe Vavra even got out his laptop and watched his son go 2 for 3 with a double, walk, hit by pitch, sac fly, pop up & single all while scoring twice and recording 2 RBIs.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/coaches.jsp?c_id=min

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/roster/2011-12/5451/tanner-vavra/

valpotx

I didn't know about his dad, it definitely makes sense now as he has had a solid FR year!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Apparently hitting wasn't the problem for the last place Twins last night. (11 games behind first place Indians) as they scored 8 runs and hit 3 homers. It appears that same tough wind was blowing towards left at the Cell too. The White Sox were able to out slug the Twins 11-8.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on May 25, 2012, 10:37:32 AM
I didn't know about his dad, it definitely makes sense now as he has had a solid FR year!

I didn't know that Tanner only had one eye.  Wow.  The HLN play-by-play guy was saying if he'd had two eyes, he'd already be in the minor leagues now, if not the majors.

valpotx

Wow, that is amazing!  To hit above .300 in college without the ability of true depth perception...
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on May 25, 2012, 01:30:40 PM
Wow, that is amazing!  To hit above .300 in college without the ability of true depth perception...

Indeed.  Now, of course, I'm curious about the backstory on that.  Maybe Jetz can fill us in...

VULB#62

Whoa! Fish hook.  Poor kid and as a parent I can guess what his dad felt.  Tribute to Tanner though.  One of those profiles in courage things.

valpospartan

Wow, what a story.  And what a courageous man!

StlVUFan

I cringed when I got to the part where he lost the eye.  Snakes, sharp objects near the eye, damage to the knee cap, these are some of my candidates for what George Orwell described as that one room containing your worst nightmare (it's been so long I forget what it was called).

valpotx

I have bone spurs in my left knee cap, does that count?  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on May 25, 2012, 10:38:40 PM
I have bone spurs in my left knee cap, does that count?  :)
My mom has gotten knee replacements.  Absolutely cringe-worthy ;)

Valposter

I thought I would refresh this old thread about Tanner Vavra since his story was featured again today on the baseball website College Baseball Insider (CBI).  This story ran last March 2012 on CBI and they reprinted it today as one of their favorite articles of 2012.  A great story about what certainly seems like a good family, a good person and a very, very good ballplayer.  What an achievement playing Division 1 college baseball as a position player hitting that level of pitching with one eye.  Also, kudos to Coach Woodson and the Coaching Staff for being open-minded enough to give Tanner a true opportunity.  Simply amazing and a great stroy.  Here's the link for anyone interested that hasn't had a chance to read the story.

http://www.collegebaseballinsider.com/12Articles/Valpo_Vavra.html

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

Yes, an amazing thing to watch.  Just try to field groundballs and hit a 90 mph fastball with one eye...I tried it a few times in my adult league recently just to see how I would fare on a swing or groundball...not good lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

valpotx, I couldn't hit with two good eyes!!!!  lol.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Enrico Palazzo

I'll be doing a feature on Tanner in January/February for the VU site.  Quite a few publications are picking up the story, too. 

One of the more gruesome accidents/injuries you'll see.  But he maintains a healthy sense of humor about it.  It obviously hasn't hindered him.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"