• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Tennis Recruiting

Started by valpotx, November 27, 2012, 04:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Most of us posters are pretty clued into most of the major NCAA rules for D-I programs, but Enrico, you have shed more light on a shadowy piece of the college sports equation.  Thanks.

Just wondering, is there a simply written source of this basic knowledge out there?  I say simply cuz the NCAA rules make nuclear plant documentation child's play.  I'm also wondering if some sort of summary someplace on the athletic website might be a good thing.  For all I know it may already be out there.  The benefit, IMO, is that guys like me won't go popping off about (some) things they don't know about.  That won't stop me from popping off on others though  ;)

Enrico Palazzo

And just to clarify: teams that are not fully-funded - like baseball - can stack academic money on top of scholarship money (if they qualify). 

valpotx

Yes, most everyone on the baseball team had some academic aid, even if they already had some athletic money
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on December 04, 2012, 09:12:27 AMAnd just to clarify: teams that are not fully-funded - like baseball - can stack academic money on top of scholarship money (if they qualify). 

So...really, to add the 1.7 scholarships (or whatever the number is) would actually be a disservice because then we couldn't add academic aid?

Huh. 
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

I think adding in the 1.7 scholarships to baseball means that more academic aid can be given to those going to Valpo only for academic purposes, and that's not a disservice to anyone. It just means a little less academic money needs to be given to a baseball player because they'll be able to receive a little more athletic money for their abilities on the field.

LaPorteAveApostle

But he said
Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on December 04, 2012, 09:12:27 AMteams that are not fully-funded - like baseball - can stack academic money on top of scholarship money (if they qualify)

which implies that if you do have 11.7 scholarships, you can't also give academic aid on top of what you give out, even if they qualify...which is why I asked if I was right in reading it that way.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Have to believe that the combination of a good outdoor complex (but it could use a club house) coupled with the arrangement with the Courts of NWI for indoor practice and competition were great assets in getting all these kids to sign.  Not to mention that the current team is more competitive.