• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA Baseball Bracketology

Started by crusaderguy08, May 26, 2012, 09:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusaderguy08

I didn't realize there was such a thing, but I found a "Bracketology" on ESPN.com for the upcoming NCAA Baseball Tournament.  They have Valpo playing in Gary, IN in the Purdue Regional!  It sure would be cool to play so close to home in the NCAA Tournament!  We'll see what shakes out later today in the Championship game and on selection day!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/blog/_/name/ncaa_baseball/id/7954226/ncaa-tournament-fortunes-decided-week-ncaa-baseball

covufan

That would be a tough bracket for us, but playing locally might help.

Massey has Purdue at #18, Indiana St at #26, and Mississippi St. at #35, with Valpo at #138.  Things could change after the HL tournament. 

This is one of the most successful VU baseball teams in years!  Congrats to the team!  The VU sports programs have really stepped up this past year in HL play.  Congrats to the whole VU Athletics Dept.

wh

Quote from: covufan on May 26, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
This is one of the most successful VU baseball teams in years!  Congrats to the team!  The VU sports programs have really stepped up this past year in HL play.  Congrats to the whole VU Athletics Dept.

Ditto.  It's great to be a Crusader fan!

valpotx

I would be rooting for a Baylor, Houston, Texas A&M, or LSU Regional  :).  I wonder how long it has been since a non-Southern (Eastern/Western) or Pacific coast team has hosted a Regional?  I believe Notre Dame did in 2001, not sure if Connecticut did in the last few years when they were ranked in the Top 25.  It is rare for Midwestern/Northeastern teams to be ranked, so it is good to see that change some this year!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

According to the above website the brachet will be announced tomorrow at eleven central on ESPNU. The Valpo website says "Sunday".  In any event Indiana State was eliminated from the Valley tourney by Evansville.  Would Indiana State have a shot at any At-Large bid?  I doubt it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Could someone with more knowledge of baseball bracketology explain this cryptic tweet to me:

https://twitter.com/PantherU/status/206850414635778048

Just curious ;)

jetz

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 27, 2012, 06:15:16 PM
Could someone with more knowledge of baseball bracketology explain this cryptic tweet to me:

Just curious ;)

I don't know it all, but there is a selection committee that decides who goes where in the Regionals.  The host teams don't have any say in who goes where, so I think this writer is mistaken if he thinks Purdue could block Valpo or anyone else. 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on May 26, 2012, 03:58:27 PM
I would be rooting for a Baylor, Houston, Texas A&M, or LSU Regional  :).  I wonder how long it has been since a non-Southern (Eastern/Western) or Pacific coast team has hosted a Regional?  I believe Notre Dame did in 2001, not sure if Connecticut did in the last few years when they were ranked in the Top 25.  It is rare for Midwestern/Northeastern teams to be ranked, so it is good to see that change some this year!

UCONN did host in Norwich, CT in 2010.  They went to the SR in 2011 but did not host that year--they had to win the Clemson Regional to get there.  Purdue's building a new stadium, but it is way behind and not ready, though it was supposed to be done this season.  So now they're in Gary.  If we go there, we'll be the closest team geographically. 

jetz

Quote from: vu72 on May 27, 2012, 04:10:21 PM
According to the above website the brachet will be announced tomorrow at eleven central on ESPNU. The Valpo website says "Sunday".  In any event Indiana State was eliminated from the Valley tourney by Evansville.  Would Indiana State have a shot at any At-Large bid?  I doubt it.

The selection show is Monday at noon Eastern on ESPNU.  BTW, if any of you are interested and local, Coach Woodson has invited Valpo baseball fans and alums to come by the baseball clubhouse at Valpo to watch the show with the team.  Food is provided, and he'd like you to be there around 10:30am Central time.  Insider access!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: jetz on May 27, 2012, 07:44:59 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on May 27, 2012, 06:15:16 PM

Just curious ;)

I don't know it all, but there is a selection committee that decides who goes where in the Regionals.  The host teams don't have any say in who goes where, so I think this writer is mistaken if he thinks Purdue could block Valpo or anyone else. 
I would certainly hope so.  Thanks!  I'll be watching from home tomorrow.  Hope they get to play on TV like the ladies did.

valpotx

I agree with jetz, in that Purdue won't have any say in who is in their regional.  I am not sure where PantherU is getting that information?

It looks like Purdue's beat writer is also expecting us in the Gary regional.  I am sure that it will be nice for the guys to not have to travel very far, but also probably a little disappointing that they are not going to a further away location!  I do think that Indiana State has a great chance at an at-large, as the MVC is a decent baseball conference (5th in RPI). 

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2012/5/27/3047013/2012-ncaa-baseball-tournament-projections-purdue-selected-as-regional-host
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Did anyone see the brawl between Purdue and Indiana at the B1G tournament at the Columbus Clippers park (AAA International League with Indy Indians) hosted by Ohio State? Purdue beat IU 6-5. On a play late in the game a Purdue runner slide extremely hard into third and basically ran over whoever was covering third base. (there had been a run down on the play and it may not have been the third baseman)
A brawl erupted at third base and many players had to be restrained. It was on one of the Indy news programs (maybe channel 8 WISH-TV). After the dust settled one player from each team was thrown out which is remarkable since there were at least 10 players from each team involved in the wrestling and punching. That Indiana/Purdue rivalry in baseball must be more intense then in football or basketball. At least this year it is.

bbtds

BTN is currently showing the IU/Purdue B1G baseball tournament championship game. The brawl was in the 9th inning. Plawicki seems to be the big hitter for the Boilers. It started at 8:00 a.m. CDT.

bbtds

After rewatching the Indiana/Purdue brawl it seems that Purdue ought to have 2 players suspended for their next game. Their runner, their 2nd baseman, who went into third base head first and whoever threw the punch in the middle of that shoving match. Although that could have been an Indiana player.

EDIT: After another view it looks like it was a Purdue player who threw the punch, but I couldn't tell who.

crusaderguy08

Quote from: bbtds on May 28, 2012, 10:44:27 AM
After rewatching the Indiana/Purdue brawl it seems that Purdue ought to have 2 players suspended for their next game. Their runner, their 2nd baseman, who went into third base head first and whoever threw the punch in the middle of that shoving match. Although that could have been an Indiana player.

EDIT: After another view it looks like it was a Purdue player who threw the punch, but I couldn't tell who.

If you watch closely, I'm 99% certain the Purdue head coach is the one who threw a punch at an Indiana player.  I wouldn't be shocked if he is not with the Purdue team on Friday when Valpo beats them...

valpotx

We have a good regional to compete in.  I believe Kentucky is the best team in the regional, which the announcers somewhat alluded to.  I do think we can beat any of these teams if we are on, so it will be fun!

In regards to selection surprises, I was VERY surprised to see a second Big 10 team make the tournament.  I don't know when the last time that happened was, but it is VERY rare over the last few decades.  Now, in the 60's and 70's it was more common of course.  When I saw Michigan State's name come up, I figured this was going to be the first time since I went to college that I could tease my HS teammate/friend who won a national championship at UT (their #2 starting pitcher that year), about us being in the tournament and his school being out  :).  Even if we get our butt kicked, I can now hold this over his head for a year.  Then again, all he has to do is show me his national championship ring, bank account from playing in the Yankees organization, etc lol. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: crusaderguy08 on May 28, 2012, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 28, 2012, 10:44:27 AM

If you watch closely, I'm 99% certain the Purdue head coach is the one who threw a punch at an Indiana player.  I wouldn't be shocked if he is not with the Purdue team on Friday when Valpo beats them...

So after Schreiber throws the punch he tells BTN that he talked to his players and told them not to give Indiana any motivation for next year and that there will be implications at the regional. Fascinating reaction by a head coach. I'll watch it a few more times just to see if I can follow Schreiber in the shoving match. 

EDIT: After reviewing again it's really impossible to tell if Schreiber was throwing a punch or just trying to grab an Indiana player who he thought was trying to physically confront a Purdue player. I would tend to give Schreiber the benefit of the doubt unless he has a past history of this kind of behavior. Just from Schreiber's reaction to the whole situation I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he should have jumped back & gone in from another angle to try and stop what was going on. It did look like somewhat suspicious behavior on his part. Trying to restrain a player when there are other bodies between you and that player doesn't work. From the very beginning of the confrontation Schreiber looked like he was trying to shield his own players.

jetz

Schreiber not happy with our placement in his Regional.  This from the NW Indiana Times:

Schreiber hopes the Steel Yard can be a Purdue-friendly atmosphere during the regional.

"The NCAA didn't by putting Valpo in there," Schreiber said. "We want this to be a well-attended tournament, but it's a shame our players don't have a home-field advantage by not playing on campus in front of our home community and our home crowd. We don't want to see us be out-attended by Valparaiso fans, because they're going to be close."

I'm thinking of having a pregame tailgate in the parking lot.  Any interest?  Anybody know of any food/alcohol/tailgate restrictions at the Steel Yard?  Weather looks iffy...temps in the high 50s Friday with a chance of showers.  Nice the rest of the weekend.  It would be great to outdraw Purdue and everybody else there. 

jetz

Which #4 seed has the best chance to make some noise (win at least one game) in the Regionals?  My "most likely to upset" in order:

1. Stony Brook (Miami is a weak #1 seed, SB is good)
2. Valpo (Home team in their Region)
3. Army (Patriot League record 41 wins)

I wonder if Purdue will throw their ace.  It really doesn't matter to us, but many #1 seeds will have the luxury of saving their stud for game 2.  I don't think any of the top seeds playing the above listed teams should do that, but we'll see.   :-\

valpotx

Their coach shouldn't be complaining.  They have how many alumni versus VU's base???  I imagine that a lot of Purdue alumni live in Chicago, so they don't have any excuse in not having just as many, if not more fans there...
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on May 29, 2012, 10:46:48 AM
Their coach shouldn't be complaining.  They have how many alumni versus VU's base???  I imagine that a lot of Purdue alumni live in Chicago, so they don't have any excuse in not having just as many, if not more fans there...

I believe Schreiber's comment was a not-so-thinly-veiled jab at Valpo AD Mark LaBarbera.  Mark was one of eight (maybe 10?) members of the NCAA selection committee, who also decided where the teams in the tourney would play.

StlVUFan

Quote from: jetz on May 29, 2012, 11:20:19 AM

I believe Schreiber's comment was a not-so-thinly-veiled jab at Valpo AD Mark LaBarbera.  Mark was one of eight (maybe 10?) members of the NCAA selection committee, who also decided where the teams in the tourney would play.
LOL.  What role exactly did LaBarbera have in making sure the Purdue facility wasn't ready yet????  :crazy:

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 29, 2012, 12:59:55 PM
Quote from: jetz on May 29, 2012, 11:20:19 AM

LOL.  What role exactly did LaBarbera have in making sure the Purdue facility wasn't ready yet????  :crazy:

Not very much money, I'll tell you that. ML kept saying he needs money for the track, what track??? A turned on switch here. A lost key there. Telling the hardhats about how much money they're making on the construction crews on those multi-colored housing units off Lindberg Rd. That gets 'em really disgruntled. I made 7 trips up to the Lafayette area in the last 3 months. Hey, gas ain't cheap. But when Tim's boy, Jesse went down to the "Where Else" bar and got drunk with the basketball team and took Barlow down there to get some copper pipe, it was a brilliant move.

Although, not finishing the area behind home plate, those construction guys did that all on their own. Why do you think I didn't notice it at first? Can you imagine someone taking their wife to a Wolf Park on Mother's Day!!!  :-[

Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away, probably shouldn't have admitted to that  :crazy:

valpotx

Pretty neat that he was able to be on a selection committee! 
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

I'm looking forward to attending Friday's game.  It will be my first Valpo baseball game.