• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball vs Purdue at US Steel Yard in Gary Friday June 1 NCAA Regional

Started by bbtds, May 28, 2012, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Purdue has 5 Region players, 5 Chicago area players and 8 Indy area players. A nice mix.

The new Alexander Field looks almost done to me. This video was shot the day after I saw it (Mother's Day) from a car on the street the field sits on. It was the parking lot that wasn't finished. Obviously from the video the light poles weren't up yet 2 weeks ago. I also see now that some very important interior construction behind home plate was not nearly finished 2 weeks ago.

Alexander Field Update, May 14

Valpo should feel very fortunate that the construction crew is slower than anticipated at Alexander Field and Victory Field was not available for whatever reason. No matter if the games were being played in Indy, W.Lafayette, Valpo or Gary I will be there Friday & Saturday for sure. How about some of you other Valpo baseball fans?

Game time is 7:00 p.m. CDT (Gary & Valpo time) per Purdue's website.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052812aaa.html

bbtds

5/28/2012 - Headlines
U. S. Steel Yard to Host NCAA Regional Featuring Purdue, Valparaiso   » All News

GARY, Ind. — U. S. Steel Yard, the home ballpark of the Gary SouthShore RailCats, has been selected to host a four-team NCAA Regional from June 1-4 in the opening weekend of the NCAA Men's Baseball Tournament. Purdue University will serve as the host school and No. 1 seed. The No. 2 seed will be Kentucky, No. 3 is Kent State and No. 4 will be nearby Valparaiso University. Purdue will face Valparaiso on Friday at 7 p.m. The tournament opens at 3 p.m. on Friday with Kent State taking on Kentucky.

The Regional will be double-elimination, with two games played each day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and a final game on Monday if necessary. Tentative game times will be 3 and 7 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday.

Tickets will go on sale at the RailCats box office Tuesday, May 29 at noon. Each game will cost $8 for adults and $4 for students. Fans may purchase tickets in-person or by phone at 219-882-BALL. Walk-up ticket sales will also be available each day of the Regional.

"This is a win-win situation for Purdue, the NCAA, the RailCats organization, the City of Gary and all of Northwest Indiana," RailCats Owner Pat Salvi said. "Being selected as one of 16 ballparks nationwide to host an NCAA Regional is a great acknowledgement of the beautiful ballpark and facilities at U. S. Steel Yard, which are second to none."

"The RailCats organization is proud to host such a prestigious event at beautiful U. S. Steel Yard," RailCats President/GM Kevin Spudic said. "Baseball fans from the Region and beyond have a unique opportunity to see high-level college baseball this weekend and we welcome them to enjoy a great event at an outstanding venue."

Purdue was selected as the host school for the Regional after winning their first Big Ten regular season title since 1909 and first Big Ten tournament title in school history. The team features five Northwest Indiana natives: Ryan Bridges (Griffith), Blake Mascarello (Crown Point), Connor Podkul (La Porte), Mike Sudbury (Munster) and Kyle Upp (La Porte). Purdue head coach Doug Schreiber is also from La Porte.

"We are thrilled to be in Gary and in an area where there are at lot of Purdue fans and a lot of baseball fans," said Tom Schott, Purdue's Associate Athletic Director.

"The first time we reached out to Gary and U. S. Steel Yard, they welcomed us with open arms. It should be a great partnership for the weekend and a great show for the NCAA."

Valparaiso is a Northwest Indiana school located just 25 miles from Gary. The Crusaders are making their first NCAA Tournament appearance in 44 years and their roster includes La Porte native Kevin Upp. Valparaiso last played in Gary at the Horizon League Tournament in 2010. The last time the Boilermakers in Crusaders were both at U. S. Steel Yard was when they faced each other in May 2005.

The RailCats were founded in 2002 and are in their tenth season at U. S. Steel Yard. They are a member of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball, and play 50 home games each season at the $45 million ballpark, which is one of the premier minor league baseball venues in the country. The club has drawn more than 1.4 million fans since the ballpark opened in 2003.

http://www.railcatsbaseball.com/fanzone/news/1/954/

EDIT: Correction was made on Railcats website for game times. Kent vs UK 3 p.m. CDT, Valpo vs Purdue 7 p.m. CDT

chef

valpotx

I don't think I ever read anywhere, but did Kevin Upp get hurt this year and redshirt several games in?  Purdue's stadium will look pretty nice once finished, I really like the bullpens on the outside of the OF wall!
"Don't mess with Texas"

setshot

I was two years ahead of Schreiber at Valpo. Knew him more as a football player than as a baseball player. Smart guy though,sent his son to Purdue rather than Valpo. I hope they (Purdue) make it to Omaha. hell, we all know that Valpo will be 0-2 and out. Nevertheless,we did make the "dance." Congratulations!Any news on our 2012-13 volleyball schedule? ???

VULB#62

I love the new banner.  Great pic.  The droopy 'L' on the marquee just makes me smile.   ;D

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on May 28, 2012, 03:23:41 PM
I don't think I ever read anywhere, but did Kevin Upp get hurt this year and redshirt several games in?

Yes.  Kevin made a few mound appearances early this year, and felt some arm pain.  (I think it's shoulder.)  He did have surgery, and all reports are that it went as well as could be expected.  I think he's even going to throw some this summer, and for sure will be back throwing next fall.  He attended the HL Championship and will be in the dugout for the Regional game against his brother's Purdue team.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Quote from: setshot on May 28, 2012, 07:04:41 PM
I hope they (Purdue) make it to Omaha. hell, we all know that Valpo will be 0-2 and out. Nevertheless,we did make the "dance." Congratulations!Any news on our 2012-13 volleyball schedule? ???

I don't know that.  And the volleyball selection show is on later this week.  Set your DVR.

bbtds

Quote from: jetz on May 29, 2012, 08:30:49 AM
Quote from: setshot on May 28, 2012, 07:04:41 PM
I hope they (Purdue) make it to Omaha. hell, we all know that Valpo will be 0-2 and out. Nevertheless,we did make the "dance." Congratulations!Any news on our 2012-13 volleyball schedule? ???

I don't know that.  And the volleyball selection show is on later this week.  Set your DVR.

The volleyball season ended in November and there is going to be a selection show this week?  It seems I don't understand. Did you mean to say the volleyball SCHEDULE would be out this week? Could you help explain?

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/volleyball-women/d1

valpotx

Jetz, setshot just likes to bemoan all Valpo sports, don't feed the bear.  I predict we will get at least one 'W' in this regional, and have every chance at winning it as the other teams do!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

So what media coverage will we have?  It's not on TV or the internet as I understand it.  Will Valpo do a play-by-play?  Or a chat thing?  Will we have live stats?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Need to have something.  A baseball fan base is beginning to grow and it needs to be fed.   :twocents:

jetz

I have to believe Ryan will at least do a chat, and you should get a Gametracker or other live stats.  I looked on the Valpo baseball site just now, and there is nothing mentioned yet. 

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

http://btn.com/2012/05/29/big-ten-suspends-charles-smith-for-tourney-scuffle/

Valpo will benefit from the boneheaded slide of Eric Charles in the Big Ten Conference Tournament championship baseball game:

On Tuesday, the Big Ten Conference office announced it has suspended Purdue's Eric Charles and Indiana's Casey Smith for one game apiece for their roles in the bench-clearing brawl during Saturday night's 2012 Big Ten Baseball Tournament championship game. Charles will serve his suspension during Purdue's opening NCAA Championship game Friday, while Smith will be suspended for Indiana's 2013 season opener.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on May 29, 2012, 11:48:57 AM
Can the BTN cover it or is that forbidden by the NCAA?

There is no live game listed on BTN for 7:00 p.m. CDT/8:00 p.m. EDT. I check every few hours or so. It must be a contractual situation. BTN offices are in Elmhurst too. Not but a 30 mile trip.

vu72

Both Valpo's and Purdue's websites are now showing a Gametracker but neither is referencing any radio or TV yet.

jetz

If you're heading to Gary, here's info from a Valpo parent on suites for Friday's game:

For what it is worth, there are 3 Suites available for Friday night's game. Price is $500 and it includes 20 tickets. The reason I bring it up is that they do allow alcohol in the suite but you have to buy it from them.. They also have food & soft drink packages for another $14 per person.

I don't think I am going to do it but I wanted to let you know in case there are some people who want to stay out of the elements, would like to have a drink during the game and do not have tickets being supplied by the school.

I assume you call the Steel Yard ticket office to book these.  Sounds like it may be a bit chilly, so at $25/head this might be appealing.

Also, there will be a Valpo tailgate before the Saturday game (whenever that turns out to be) in the Steel Yard parking lot.  You're all welcome--even setshot--and it's BYOB and food to grill.  We'll have a grill and some basic condiments, but you can bring steak or whatever as well!  I checked with the ballpark, and alcohol is OK.  We'll set up three hours prior to game time.  Look for a blue canopy and the Valpo flag attached to it.

Also, they are charging for each game individually--no tourney passes.  The stadium will be cleared between games.  $8 for adults/$4 for students.

bbtds

setshot

Hey Jetz,thanks for the invitation. Unfortunately its a long way from SC to Gary,IN. just to see good old VU go 0-2. I say let's get it overwith and prepare ourselves for the fall season. M/W soccer should be good as well as Volleyball. As for football   --- here's hoping. 6-5? :o

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on May 30, 2012, 12:09:26 PM
Hey Jetz,thanks for the invitation. Unfortunately its a long way from SC to Gary,IN. just to see good old VU go 0-2. I say let's get it overwith and prepare ourselves for the fall season. M/W soccer should be good as well as Volleyball. As for football   --- here's hoping. 6-5? :o

Here's to no more D-III talk. So what made you suddenly think Valpo can compete at the Div. I level?

Amazing!   :o

jetz

Quote from: bbtds on May 30, 2012, 11:56:18 AM
I just now noticed that BTN is televising live the Valpo vs Purdue Friday night 7:00 p.m. CDT game from the U.S. Steel Yard in Gary.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11840/valpo-purdue-game-to-air-live-on-big-ten-network/

This is awesome.  Now my DVR really is set.

mj

Just listened to a podcast on Baseball America previewing each regional of the College World Series. They had some nice things to say about our program, specifically that we're a program "trending up" and Tracy Woodson is a great coach. Unfortunately, they don't see us advancing. Hopefully we can pull an upset tomorrow.
I believe that we will win.

vuweathernerd

i'm looking forward to watching tonight, after i get home from work and get a nap. i'd love to see a good game.