• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball vs Purdue at US Steel Yard in Gary Friday June 1 NCAA Regional

Started by bbtds, May 28, 2012, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

If you haven't seen this do so!  It is an interview with Coach Woodson on the Valpo athletic website.  Click on "Crusaders ready for NCAA Tournament on Friday"

http://www.valpoathletics.com/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Just  looked at the roster and other info on the VU athletics site regarding the baseball program...really needs some updating, program history lists the '09 record...when we are at this stage of an upward moving program these types of things need to be vastly improved, especially for possible recruits, etc      Go VALPO!!!

vusupporter

Quote from: valpo64 on June 01, 2012, 09:38:54 AM
Just  looked at the roster and other info on the VU athletics site regarding the baseball program...really needs some updating, program history lists the '09 record...when we are at this stage of an upward moving program these types of things need to be vastly improved, especially for possible recruits, etc      Go VALPO!!!

Not sure what you're looking at - everything looks updated to me??

valpotx

One thing I would like to see on the baseball portion of the website that the other programs have is an all-time roster :-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on June 01, 2012, 09:57:25 AM
One thing I would like to see on the baseball portion of the website that the other programs have is an all-time roster :-)

I see rosters going back to 02-03 which matches the basketball section. 

valpotx

Right, they have it in the section for complete rosters.  I am talking about in the 'Records and History' pull down bar on the right side of each athletics screen.  Most of the other programs have a link under that section that states 'all-time roster,' and lists players going back many more years than that.  I guess I am lucky that my 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 years include me in them, but that will probably go away as the years progress.  An all-time roster will show everyone that has played for the program (that they have information on anyways).
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

If anyone is dropping by and wondering what happened,

VU is playing Purdue now here athttp://valpoathletics.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mbasebl.html?event=1117181&school=val&sport=mbasebl&camefrom=&startschool=&.

If you're feeling adventurous, audio is available here: mms://audiocast.valpo.edu/wvursports.

If you've the Big Ten Network, it's on there (channel 610 for DirecTV HD!), but if you do and don't have access to a TV at the moment, 'tis available here:  http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/live.jsp?id=693.

If you're wondering where everyone else is, well, I don't know what to tell you!  I'm night-owling it (and I don't mean the old LaPorte Avenue caffeine hole).

As of posting, it's the end of three and the bad guys just took a 2-1 lead because our 3B insists on giving Purdue 4 outs an inning...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Our pitchers did what they should have.  Unfortunately, our defense let us down with 5 errors.  You can't do that against good teams.  Hopefully we do better hitting with runners on tomorrow/today as well.  I won't complain about the 7-2 loss, instead hopeful that Kentucky's long game took a toll on them, and that we spring an upset!

Go Valpo!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

TX, I knew at least you'd be up with me based on what you've said in the past!  Too bad it didn't give a better ending.

Man, what is it with us and Kentucky?  We owe them big-time.  Sure would be nice to even that "series".  Hope they stayed up to figure out who they were playing.  They're already 2 1/3 games into their rotation...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

the defense was killer. i went to bad after the 6th, but that that point, we'd given up more unearned runs than earned runs. we quite possibly could have scored in the first inning, but the strike zone was on the large side. one of our hitters took a curve ball that up above the letters, yet somehow still called a strike. we got the benefit of a few calls, but not nearly as many has what purdue got. haase was playing with fire, regularly keeping pitches between belt and letter high, but we just could not capitalize.

valpo84

valpotx and others, does Deetjen remind you of John Candelaria with his motion, arm slot and stuff? He needed some help with D last night. Tough conditions for a ball game with a 3.5 hour delay, starting at 11:30 pm EST. Hopefully, they can pull together and come back this afternoon. It's time to take one from UK, do it for hoops and for softball. Also good to know there's someone from my old HS team, Ben Mahar. We had some pretty good teams in the late 1970s.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FWalum

Stayed up until the pitching change in the 7th.  To those that have played at this level, what accounts for all the bad throws to first base?  Nerves?  Deetjen certainly pitched well and I think we certainly were competitive we just needed to believe it.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Explain all the horrible throws by Tiger pitchers in the 2006 WS.  It happens to the best of them.

valpotx

A lot of it is nerves, but I also think that he rushed a few throws.  If you have your body moving forward as you normally would, but try to speed up at the last minute because you realize he is hoofing it down the line...it is going in the dirt EVERY time.  Once he made that first error, you could tell he was still thinking about it, and the little bit of doubt can lead to your body getting weak at the time of the throw.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

The box score says the game started at 10:40, with attendance at 5047.  The Kentucky/Kent game had an attendance of 5016.  Good attendance for these games.  Valpo is playing right now:

http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mbasebl.html?event=1117244&school=ncaa&sport=mbasebl&camefrom=&startschool=&

LaPorteAveApostle

Can someone please post updates for those of us who can't get CBS GT to load on our phone?  Or post a link to something we can follow it by?

Much appreciated, and I hope I don't come off as such a whiner that you think I'm a Bulldog fan...

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 02, 2012, 04:21:29 PM
Can someone please post updates for those of us who can't get CBS GT to load on our phone?  Or post a link to something we can follow it by?

Much appreciated, and I hope I don't come off as such a whiner that you think I'm a Bulldog fan...

http://www.d1baseball.com/2012/daily/0602.htm

LaPorteAveApostle

vuweathernerd

Quote from: setshot on June 02, 2012, 05:31:18 PM
Shucks! wwwvd3. :whiteflag:

go figure. our eternal optimist is the first one to post. i'd say kudos on your prediction, but i'm disappointed by our showing and the fact that we cost ourselves the game last night.

valpotx

Great season by the team, and still very proud to be an alumni of the program.  We shot ourselves in the foot both games, but gained valuable experience for next year.  Just like after last season, 2012-2013 will depend on how well we replace our starting pitchers, with us losing Deetjen, Wild, and Robinson.  We will still have Wormington, I imagine that Mahar will step into a starting role, maybe Upp, and then it will be a battle for the 4th member of the rotation.  Who will be the mid-week starter will be determined in pre-season.  Main hitters we lose are Hagel and Scoby (also Bobby Martin, but he didn't play much after first 15 games), so hopefully Johnson steps up next year like he did in the HL tournament, and I imagine Yoder is a natural replacement at DH for Hagel.  We also lose our closer in Miller, but maybe Karch can take that if he comes back healthy?

Either way, great job Seniors in turning the program around to a winning record again, and it is up to the future classes to keep it going!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Nildogg

tx, I respect the fact that you are a proud alumni - but as avid of a fan, and supporter of BU baseball as I am, I can't come close to knowing the people, and staying as in touch as you - and not one of the others I graduated with could either... Do you seriously live and breathe VU baseball that much??

vu72

Quote from: Nildogg on June 02, 2012, 09:59:11 PM
tx, I respect the fact that you are a proud alumni - but as avid of a fan, and supporter of BU baseball as I am, I can't come close to knowing the people, and staying as in touch as you - and not one of the others I graduated with could either... Do you seriously live and breathe VU baseball that much??

It's not just tx.  There a bunch of us that follow Valpo sports--PERIOD.  That means finding out about players etc.  Tx is as knowledgable as anyone in baseball but as for following all things Valpo, there are many who can claim that title.   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Nildogg, did you play baseball at Butler?  I can't tell based on previous comments. 

Regardless, I know about the team because having played side by side with all of our players from my time of 2000-2004, and those that kept playing until 2008 (FR-JR when I was a SR), I kept up with how they were doing since you get a good personal relationship in playing with someone.  As our new coach came in and started to change the program into a winning mentality, it kept me interested to see how each game goes, and to follow Coach Woodson's tactics.  This isn't any different than athletic alumni in any of the other sports, not sure why it strikes you as odd that I follow them closely.  I notice on Facebook and Twitter that several of our former VU basketball alumni keep up with their team as well, best indicated by Michael Rogers watching each game online even when it is 2-3 am where he is playing in Spain.  If you have played a sport up to the college level, you feel attached to that program.  That is the best way I can describe it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Nildogg

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but yes, I am a 2001 grad. 

I'm just saying that now that I'm that far removed, and well before now - I would recognize people's names, and probably know if they have put up some sort of record setting numbers, draft quality, etc.; but aside from that, I generally wouldn't know who's graduating, their spot in the rotation etc. etc...  And I'm about as active as they come with regards to helping the program with fundraising, networking with graduates, etc.

The comments, opinions, etc that you share are far more detailed than even the staunchest supporter which is why I was wondering if you were still officially connected (parent, coach, ex assistant, or coaching somewhere else). And I'm not saying its a bad thing... its just a unique level of interest that you keep.