• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball vs Purdue at US Steel Yard in Gary Friday June 1 NCAA Regional

Started by bbtds, May 28, 2012, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: jetz on May 31, 2012, 06:09:08 PM
Quote from: bbtds on May 30, 2012, 11:56:18 AM
I just now noticed that BTN is televising live the Valpo vs Purdue Friday night 7:00 p.m. CDT game from the U.S. Steel Yard in Gary.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11840/valpo-purdue-game-to-air-live-on-big-ten-network/

This is awesome.  Now my DVR really is set.

Did you give it any extra time? 4 hours? My DVR doesn't even let me add 4 hours to a broadcast. I did add 2 hours due to this being game 2. Oh well, I was there and errors was the name of the game for Valpo. I hate the thought that I would not have a recording of it if there had been something worth recording.

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on June 02, 2012, 08:00:06 PM
Great season by the team, and still very proud to be an alumni of the program.  We shot ourselves in the foot both games, but gained valuable experience for next year.  Just like after last season, 2012-2013 will depend on how well we replace our starting pitchers, with us losing Deetjen, Wild, and Robinson.  We will still have Wormington, I imagine that Mahar will step into a starting role, maybe Upp, and then it will be a battle for the 4th member of the rotation.  Who will be the mid-week starter will be determined in pre-season.  Main hitters we lose are Hagel and Scoby (also Bobby Martin, but he didn't play much after first 15 games), so hopefully Johnson steps up next year like he did in the HL tournament, and I imagine Yoder is a natural replacement at DH for Hagel.  We also lose our closer in Miller, but maybe Karch can take that if he comes back healthy?

Either way, great job Seniors in turning the program around to a winning record again, and it is up to the future classes to keep it going!

At this writing, Robinson will be back for a fifth year next year.  He will compete for a weekend spot next year.  The bullpen is stocked full of fresh arms.  Four or five got significant innings this season.  Losses next year:  Wild, Deetjen, and Miller on the mound.  Over 250 innings and lots of wins/saves to replace.  This will be our biggest question mark in 2013.  Hagel (LF) and Scoby (RF) are gone.  Both had hot bats at the middle to end of this season.  I look for Mark Johnson to take an outfield spot.  All of the rest of the defense returns.  Three injured infielders also will return to compete for a starting spot, which could bump somebody to the other outfield spot.  We should be fine hitting it and catching it, but can we step up on the pitching level?  I like the way pitching coach Brian Schmack handles his job, and we'll be lucky to keep him around for a few more years--he's probably going to have options should he want them.  We should be the preseason favorites to repeat as Horizon League Champs, but i think we should realistically be thinking about taking another BIG step forward.  Just winning a game in the NCAA won't be enough next year.  We didn't perform in that tourney this year, but we were a MUCH better team than we showed, and we should be even more solid next year.  A stud freshman or two and we could do some real damage.   
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Quote from: bbtds on June 03, 2012, 08:20:36 PM
I just now noticed that BTN is televising live the Valpo vs Purdue Friday night 7:00 p.m. CDT game from the U.S. Steel Yard in Gary.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11840/valpo-purdue-game-to-air-live-on-big-ten-network/

Did you give it any extra time? 4 hours? My DVR doesn't even let me add 4 hours to a broadcast. I did add 2 hours due to this being game 2. Oh well, I was there and errors was the name of the game for Valpo. I hate the thought that I would not have a recording of it if there had been something worth recording.

Agree.  Luckily I have that remote app to control the DVR from my phone.  Added time right from the Steel Yard.   :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: jetz on June 03, 2012, 08:28:21 PM
Quote from: bbtds on June 03, 2012, 08:20:36 PM

Agree.  Luckily I have that remote app to control the DVR from my phone.  Added time right from the Steel Yard.   :thumbsup:

Nice.

There is supposed to be some way I could have done that but how many times you really going to use it? I never even tried to learn how.

jetz

BREAKING NEWS-- and this is completely unofficial...Preseason schedule highlights for 2013 have been rumored to be:  1.  series at North Carolina State (a #1 seed in this years tourney) 2.  series at South Florida (Big East team in Tampa)  3.  series at Tempe, AZ against Arizona State  (returning from 2012 season of 36-20 but banned from postseason by NCAA).  This speaks to the respect Valpo has garnered nationwide this year.  The NCAA punished Kentucky for a weak non-conference schedule in 2012 by making them a #2 seed in Gary.  Teams now know they must get non-conference wins, but have to play a decent team to get them.  Getting agreements to play at these schools is a good sign that Valpo fits in as an "acceptable" opponent in the eyes of the baseball powers.  Also, Tracey Woodson is an NC State alum, and has done a great job getting quality opponents for our non-con schedule for years.  We need to win some of these games for a decent RPI--once the season starts, HL teams are a huge RPI drag...

valpotx

Sounds like some good opposition, hopefully some day taking a game at TCU in the coming years  :).  Nildogg, I was not being sarcastic, I truly could not tell if you played, or were just a fan based on past comments.  If you graduated in 2001, maybe you played with Brian Costello and Steve Gil at Butler?  They were on my summer team before my last year of ball in 2003-2004, when I spent the last 2 summers of college in Indiana.  I forget what years they were when I was becoming a SR, so maybe you just missed them.  We also had Brian Wolotka when you graduated, so you probably remember him  :).

I did assist with the JV team on the coaching side my last year, but nothing really past that.  I was a volunteer assistant with TCU for 2 years while doing my MBA and working a few years back, so no real connection to Valpo the last few years.  Just like to keep up with my team I guess  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: jetz on June 03, 2012, 08:26:21 PM
Quote from: valpotx on June 02, 2012, 08:00:06 PM
Great season by the team, and still very proud to be an alumni of the program.  We shot ourselves in the foot both games, but gained valuable experience for next year.  Just like after last season, 2012-2013 will depend on how well we replace our starting pitchers, with us losing Deetjen, Wild, and Robinson.  We will still have Wormington, I imagine that Mahar will step into a starting role, maybe Upp, and then it will be a battle for the 4th member of the rotation.  Who will be the mid-week starter will be determined in pre-season.  Main hitters we lose are Hagel and Scoby (also Bobby Martin, but he didn't play much after first 15 games), so hopefully Johnson steps up next year like he did in the HL tournament, and I imagine Yoder is a natural replacement at DH for Hagel.  We also lose our closer in Miller, but maybe Karch can take that if he comes back healthy?

Either way, great job Seniors in turning the program around to a winning record again, and it is up to the future classes to keep it going!

At this writing, Robinson will be back for a fifth year next year.  He will compete for a weekend spot next year.  The bullpen is stocked full of fresh arms.  Four or five got significant innings this season.  Losses next year:  Wild, Deetjen, and Miller on the mound.  Over 250 innings and lots of wins/saves to replace.  This will be our biggest question mark in 2013.  Hagel (LF) and Scoby (RF) are gone.  Both had hot bats at the middle to end of this season.  I look for Mark Johnson to take an outfield spot.  All of the rest of the defense returns.  Three injured infielders also will return to compete for a starting spot, which could bump somebody to the other outfield spot.  We should be fine hitting it and catching it, but can we step up on the pitching level?  I like the way pitching coach Brian Schmack handles his job, and we'll be lucky to keep him around for a few more years--he's probably going to have options should he want them.  We should be the preseason favorites to repeat as Horizon League Champs, but i think we should realistically be thinking about taking another BIG step forward.  Just winning a game in the NCAA won't be enough next year.  We didn't perform in that tourney this year, but we were a MUCH better team than we showed, and we should be even more solid next year.  A stud freshman or two and we could do some real damage.   

Robinson has been listed as a 5th/SR all year, did he get granted another year, or has the website been incorrect?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Nildogg

Quote from: valpotx on June 03, 2012, 11:54:36 PMSounds like some good opposition, hopefully some day taking a game at TCU in the coming years :). maybe you played with Brian Costello and Steve Gil at Butler? They were on my summer team before my last year of ball in 2003-2004, when I spent the last 2 summers of college in Indiana. I forget what years they were when I was becoming a SR, so maybe you just missed them. We also had Brian Wolotka when you graduated, so you probably remember him :). I did assist with the JV team on the coaching side my last year, but nothing really past that. I was a volunteer assistant with TCU for 2 years while doing my MBA and working a few years back, so no real connection to Valpo the last few years. Just like to keep up with my team I guess :)

I know those guys, but we didn't play together; I helped Cos get hooked up with his first job.  Wolotka... ha  I never had a problem with Wolo - but he was definitely a different dude.  He never really could fit in, and its a shame, because he could hit a ton.
Was probably better for him and us that he moved on for chemistry's sake. 

What I remember most about Valpo back then was how we pretty much owned you guys, how brown your uniforms were, and how large your team was.  Oh, and it was so FREAKING cold when I played at your place!  Like you, Valpo was on my tail, but ultimately going up to the region was not a move I was going to make!  Very pleased with my decision, as I am sure you are too.  ;)

The program has changed a ton since I finished up, although it looks like we are at least heading in the right direction again.

By the way, what in the heck took you from Texas to Valparasio, Indiana??

vu72

Nildogg, your question to valpotx is one only he can answer, but I will try to address why Valpo draws from every state and over 50 countries.  I came to Valpo from eastern Ohio, but had family ties that put Valpo at the forefront of my college interests.  When you think about it, Indiana is not the perfect spot for any college if weather is a driver in the decision.  For Valpo, many are drawn to it based on it being the preeminent Lutheran University in the nation. For example, it is the only Lutheran affiliated school where you can actually receive an engineering degree.  Others are attracted to regional ranking (as I'm sure is the case with Butler), as we've been in the top 5, and as high as 1, in the U.S News rating, since they began.

Others are drawn by the status and equipment available for studies like meteorology as an example.  More than anything, it is the quality and caring nature of the faculty, staff and administration that closes the deal once a student visits (provided the visit isn't in the middle of a snow storm!  ;) )  The "family nature" of Valpo keeps guys like me interested in continuing to follow "all things Valpo", as I'm sure is the fact with others on this board.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Nildogg

I hear you 72... but when it comes to baseball, you'd rarely see someone from Texas entertain playing baseball in Indiana, let alone Northern Indiana baseball, and at a Horizon league program at that (Butler included).  I was curious what the connection there was.

valpotx

There were a few reasons that I went to the midwest for visits.  The first was that I had Tommy John surgery after my Senior year of HS, and that turned away many of the Texas/southern schools that were looking at me after my SO/JR years.  I was not given a good chance for full recovery, so I was not going to throw as hard as I did.  Being a lefty, that didn't matter too much in still playing well, but it was going to affect my speed (and did) enough that I couldn't play with the big boys anymore.  Next, I was actually born in Minneapolis (though lived in TX since 1990, when I was 9), as both of my parents went to undergrad at St. Olaf College, graduate school at U of Minnesota.  My parents strongly encouraged me to look at midwestern schools they knew were quality academic schools, but could still get a good shot of playing D-1 with my arm not 100%.  My top 3 were Valpo, Butler, and Creighton.  Kind of funny that regardless of school, all would become better players on the men's basketball stage, than they were when I was considering them!  The final reason I wanted to go to the midwest was to get out of the heat.  Now, I definitely regretted this part of my decision, as it was cold during some games I pitched, but I was going to stick through it!

Edit:  I apologize for the personal message style response, but I figured I would reply in the thread since others may ask why someone from the south would find the midwest alluring for their sport  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on June 04, 2012, 12:02:39 AM
Robinson has been listed as a 5th/SR all year, did he get granted another year, or has the website been incorrect?

To get back to you, "Danger" Will Robinson does have another year of eligibility.  While I don't have the details, I believe he took a regular redshirt and a medical redshirt earlier in his college career.  Robinson is one of the the few pitchers at Valpo who can top 90 mph on the gun, so it'll be good to have him back.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on June 04, 2012, 10:26:24 AM
There were a few reasons that I went to the midwest for visits.  The first was that I had Tommy John surgery after my Senior year of HS, and that turned away many of the Texas/southern schools that were looking at me after my SO/JR years.  I was not given a good chance for full recovery, so I was not going to throw as hard as I did.  Being a lefty, that didn't matter too much in still playing well, but it was going to affect my speed (and did) enough that I couldn't play with the big boys anymore.  Next, I was actually born in Minneapolis (though lived in TX since 1990, when I was 9), as both of my parents went to undergrad at St. Olaf College, graduate school at U of Minnesota.  My parents strongly encouraged me to look at midwestern schools they knew were quality academic schools, but could still get a good shot of playing D-1 with my arm not 100%.  My top 3 were Valpo, Butler, and Creighton.  Kind of funny that regardless of school, all would become better players on the men's basketball stage, than they were when I was considering them!  The final reason I wanted to go to the midwest was to get out of the heat.  Now, I definitely regretted this part of my decision, as it was cold during some games I pitched, but I was going to stick through it!

Edit:  I apologize for the personal message style response, but I figured I would reply in the thread since others may ask why someone from the south would find the midwest alluring for their sport  :)

So throwing hard isn't as required as a lefty?  If so, and given Tyler's great control, would he have a future at the next level?  Am I misreading your intent?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Generally lefties throw slower than righties, but you always have your rare guys that throw just as hard, if not harder (Aroldis Chapman of the Reds, Billy Wagner, etc).  You wouldn't see a guy like Jamie Moyer (lefty) as a righty in the majors, throwing 82-85 mph.  Especially in college, having a lefty in your rotation/bullpen helps a lot, so there is a little more leeway in speed.  It's possible that Tyler would have a chance, but he would need to develop dynamite secondary pitches.  I believe Jon Gulbransen threw the same speed as Deetjen does (I haven't seen any reports on mph though), and he is getting his chance in the low minors.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on June 04, 2012, 04:11:26 PM
Generally lefties throw slower than righties, but you always have your rare guys that throw just as hard, if not harder (Aroldis Chapman of the Reds, Billy Wagner, etc).  You wouldn't see a guy like Jamie Moyer (lefty) as a righty in the majors, throwing 82-85 mph.  Especially in college, having a lefty in your rotation/bullpen helps a lot, so there is a little more leeway in speed.  It's possible that Tyler would have a chance, but he would need to develop dynamite secondary pitches.  I believe Jon Gulbransen threw the same speed as Deetjen does (I haven't seen any reports on mph though), and he is getting his chance in the low minors.
There are a lot more available right-handers at the HS level as well.  So, a lefty with TJohn surgury will still get a look, but the average right-hander with the same surgury will not get a look.  Simply numbers - 10% population of left-handers and nearly 40-50% of MLB roster are left-handers (pitchers).  Being a left-hander in baseball is an advantage for hitting and pitching.  In the field, they only play first and outfield, as well as pitch. 

vubballfan

Quote from: valpotx on June 02, 2012, 08:00:06 PMGreat season by the team, and still very proud to be an alumni of the program. We shot ourselves in the foot both games, but gained valuable experience for next year. Just like after last season, 2012-2013 will depend on how well we replace our starting pitchers, with us losing Deetjen, Wild, and Robinson. We will still have Wormington, I imagine that Mahar will step into a starting role, maybe Upp, and then it will be a battle for the 4th member of the rotation. Who will be the mid-week starter will be determined in pre-season. Main hitters we lose are Hagel and Scoby (also Bobby Martin, but he didn't play much after first 15 games), so hopefully Johnson steps up next year like he did in the HL tournament, and I imagine Yoder is a natural replacement at DH for Hagel. We also lose our closer in Miller, but maybe Karch can take that if he comes back healthy? Either way, great job Seniors in turning the program around to a winning record again, and it is up to the future classes to keep it going!

We can't forget that Michael Morman will be back next year too as he torn his ACL in the fall and medically redshirted this year. He was expected to be a middle-of-lineup hitter for the team and will probably be that next year. He is a pure athlete that can play outfield or infield. Last summer he dominated the Chicago Suburban Baseball League hitting over .400. Also, word is that the TX recruits coming in are LEGIT!

valpotx

I completely forgot about him, that will definitely help.  I really like the Texas flair, as I am sure you can understand  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I was going to post something about Michael Morman, as he's from my area, but I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I knew he was injured early on from talking with Ryan Wronkowicz about why Morman wasn't appearing in the lineup. It will give another bat, and I believe, solid second baseman next season.

jetz

Posted May 29th, before Regionals by moi...

Which #4 seed has the best chance to make some noise (win at least one game) in the Regionals?  My "most likely to upset" in order:

1. Stony Brook (Miami is a weak #1 seed, SB is good)
2. Valpo (Home team in their Region)
3. Army (Patriot League record 41 wins)

Should have gone to Vegas with the SB pick...

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Definitely was a good pick.  I definitely did not expect Stony Brook to make any noise, regardless of their record. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on June 06, 2012, 02:47:02 AM
Definitely was a good pick.  I definitely did not expect Stony Brook to make any noise, regardless of their record. 

Travis Jankowski of SUNY Stony Brook went 44th in the MLB draft in the 1st comp round to the Padres. He's a junior outfielder.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19999693&topic_id=29113154&c_id=mlb

If teams are looking for a top-of-the-order catalyst with speed, then they might head to Stony Brook, N.Y., in droves this spring.That's what Jankowski has to offer. He has excellent hitting skills, showing the ability to spray line drives to all fields, albeit without much power. He's got above-average to plus speed and combining that with good reads and jumps on the basepaths, he's a big-time basestealing threat. His speed helps him on defense as well, where he has outstanding range to go along with very good instincts in center field. His arm is playable in center and his accuracy makes up for average arm strength.Jankowski knows who he is as a player, a very aggressive speedster who knows how to bunt, get on base and wreak havoc with his legs. Teams looking for a basher will look elsewhere, but Jankowski's tools will definitely get a long look as June approaches.

FYI: Purdue's catcher, Kevin Plawecki, was taken in the same 1st comp round at 35th by the Mets. Plawecki is also a junior.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21489259&topic_id=29113154&c_id=mlb

Teams are always searching for soild options behind the plate, especially advanced ones from the college ranks. Plawecki was one whose name was on the rise as the Draft approached. Plawecki is an offensive catcher with a lot of ability with the bat. He makes consistent contact with a short swing that allows him to stay in the center of the field. With a contact first approach, Plawecki's power is fringy right now, but there's a lot of strength to potentially tap into in the future. While his arm is fringe average, at best, the other parts of his defensive game are more than fine to stay behind the plate. He works with pitchers well, calling his own game. He has good hands, frames pitches and blocks them well. He has the size and body frame you want from a catcher. With his arm his only real major flaw, Plawecki was getting a lot of looks as a very good option at a premium position as an offensive catcher who will be able to stay at his defensive spot long-term.

bbtds

Stony Brook's catcher, Patrick Cantwell, went 123rd overall in the MLB draft, 28th in round 3 to the Rangers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21919761&topic_id=29113154

The only thing you really see in this video is that the pitchers wouldn't pitch him anything near the plate.

valpotx

Well, he must be a stud to go to the Rangers  ;).  Playing on a winning team can definitely lift your draft stock quite a bit.  An interesting alum of the SUNY Stony Brook baseball program is Joe Nathan, who played there when they were D-3.  They play at Joe Nathan Field, due to a $500k donation from him a few years back.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Purdue's 3B went 218th overall to the Phillies, last in the 6th round, Cameron Perkins. He's also a junior, as are most.

Purdue's third baseman's calling card is his power. All throughout college, he has shown the ability to hit home runs and drive in runs. He doesn't have great strike-zone discipline, and he's very aggressive at the plate, but he rarely strikes out. Some scouts think that he might have to move away from third in pro ball, but he has the speed and arm to handle a corner outfield position if needed. Perkins has good makeup as well. That, plus the power, should allow him to come off the board in the first several rounds.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2012/draftcaster.jsp