• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Painter to Missouri.....?

Started by rlh, March 29, 2011, 12:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

I now have two reports, that I have not been able to confirm, that Matt Painter has taken the job at Missouri and is leaving Purdue.  I had heard reports that he and the AD at Purdue have not been getting along for quite a while, but this is a shock to me if true.  Supposedly, $14 M for 7 years....

valporun

I saw something about Painter leaving for Missouri too. It is still in the "sources report" category of truth, as ESPN has nothing about it either. I haven't seen anything on the Big Ten Network site either. I suppose if what rlh says about the relationship between Painter and the AD, then maybe it is best for Painter to jump ship now?

vuweathernerd

according to sportscenter this morning, he's meeting with mike alden (mizzou ad) today in florida. while he's proven that he can win, and i like what i see normally out of his defensive sets, i don't know how i feel about him and his system fitting in in columbia. i thoroughly enjoyed watching mike anderson's high tempo offense over the last 5 years.

on the bright side, at least he wouldn't have to really worry about changing colors.

StlVUFan

They were talking about it last night on 590 KFNS in St. Louis, still not sure if the reports are true.  Also dissing one of the rumormongers pushing the story as having burned people in the past.  They did seem to really believe that Painter and his AD are not on the best of terms with each other.  The only reason I remember hearing was something about the facilities not being good enough or something.

covufan

Gene Keady was quoted in several articles, including:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/28853/painter-missouri-leave-everyone-guessing

Former Purdue coach Gene Keady told CBSSports.com that he believes Painter will stay but added the university must show its commitment.

"Matt wants a situation where he will be able to make a run for a national championship," Keady said. "The administration here has to step up and help him."

Other than not getting along with the AD, I don't see why Missouri would be better to win a national championship than Purdue. 

vuweathernerd

purdue's not in any better of a position to win a title than mizzou. granted, based solely on this year's performance, vcu is in a better position for it than either. maybe painter will ask to go to richmond instead. /sarcasm

valpopal

Word from St. Louis Dispatch is that Painter has accepted the job at Missouri. You have to feel for Robbie Hummel as this adds insult to injury.

sectionee

I wonder if Brad Stevens will be contacted by Purdue?  Although, if I were Stevens I'd probably wait it out for a bigger job like the IU job (if Creane can't get it turned around soon).

valporun

I think IU is going to give Tom Crean a lot more time to get the Hoosiers back to what they were. He has a rebuilding job that isn't of the same variety as Scott Drew had at Baylor, but it big enough that the AD at IU will give Crean time to get the reputation and winning at IU going again. Remember, he doesn't have a full deck of scholarship cards he can use. Around Indiana, and the IU Basketball program, he has a lot of work to do to get the IU name back from how Kelvin Sampson tarnished it.

rlh

Being a Purdue alum I am shocked if this proves to be true and Painter leaves for Missouri.  It would confirm in my mind that there indeed are problems between the Purdue Administration and him as have been rumoured.  I'm not worried about Purdue getting a good coach, because it's a very good job....one of the Top 20 at least in the country, if not Top 10....but I'd hate to see a proven winner, with all those ties to Purdue leave, especially if it  is for a job that isn't a step up.  Missouri is not one of the elite programs in the country and never has been....so this is a level move at best.  Has to be something more to the story if he goes.

valporun

I just received a text from ESPN alerts: (Andy) Katz: Source says coach Matt Painter has turned down Missouri, will stay at Purdue.

rlh

Quote from: valporun on March 30, 2011, 03:06:24 PM
I just received a text from ESPN alerts: (Andy) Katz: Source says coach Matt Painter has turned down Missouri, will stay at Purdue.
The St. Louis Dispatch has reported the other...so I hope you are right.  Andy Katz normally has a pretty good ear to the ground...so we'll see

valpopal

Yes, it appears the St. Louis Post-Dispatch jumped the gun and Painter is actually staying at Purdue with a new contract. This seems best for Painter and Purdue, and I am glad Robbie Hummel will finish his career with Painter as his coach.

vuweathernerd

hopefully the tigers find a new coach quickly so that they can spend the summer working with the returning players and maybe land a surprise late-season player.

rlh

skuttlebutt I hear is that the problem Painter was having at Purdue had to do with pay for his assistants.  Apparently that has been taken care of, if that was he problem.  Plus he got a nice extension....I'm happy

FWalum

Quote from: rlh on March 30, 2011, 08:44:36 PM
skuttlebutt I hear is that the problem Painter was having at Purdue had to do with pay for his assistants.  Apparently that has been taken care of, if that was he problem.  Plus he got a nice extension....I'm happy
My sources say you are spot on rlh
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show