• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Volleyball

Started by setshot, June 26, 2012, 03:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Any info. on the volleyball schedule for the 2012-13 season. I know last year wasn't one of our best (15 losses),nevertheless the program has been a consistent winner for us. The season starts in appx. two months,what gives? ???

setshot

Wisc-GB has released its volleyball schedule. Impressive! Where art thou Valpo?

valpospartan

Volleyball news has been virtually absent since the season ended.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on July 16, 2012, 08:22:21 PM
Volleyball news has been virtually absent since the season ended.

A good example of what vu72 was talking about on another thread. Here we have several posters starved for volleyball news and during the bowling national championship many posters were checking out the "wooden bottles" and hoping for a Valpo "four bagger."

vufan75

Not to make excuses, but, based on this article from the NWI Times dated June 16, 2012 written by Paul Oren, I'd guess Coach Avery might have other things she is focused on in addition to the schedule, recruiting, etc.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/averys-have-a-picture-but-little-else-as-they-await/article_ca91b596-a7e1-5551-a033-a6ef7f390560.html

valpospartan

Since I don't get the Times I hadn't seen that article. Waiting for a highly desired event can be quite stressful.  My thoughts and prayers go out to Carin and Mike.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on July 17, 2012, 02:00:08 PM
Since I don't get the Times I hadn't seen that article. Waiting for a highly desired event can be quite stressful.  My thoughts and prayers go out to Carin and Mike.

It makes you very proud that a married couple on our sports staff is thinking of the welfare of a child instead of well you know who and the people that keep trying to glorfify his image.

valporun

I saw this article, then I ventured down to the other linked stories, and there is another VU coaching staff adoption story in there. This one involving Luke and Cheryl Gore.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/vu-basketball-coach-savoring-first-father-s-day-with-his/article_211edafc-b784-55ba-9f4d-cd59ed19d7d4.html

VULB#62

Quote from: valpospartan on July 17, 2012, 02:00:08 PM

Spartan  -- go to the website for nwitimes sports and bookmark it.  Do the same for the Chicago Post-Tribune sports.  You can, at your leisure, check on VU-related news on a regular basis.

setshot

Marissa Mayer doesn't seem to have a problem with being pregnant and running Yahoo at the same time. So,why can't coach Avery handle an adoption process and coach and market volleyball simultaneously? The season opens a month from now,so give us the schedule - please!

Pgmado

Schedules were mostly complete across the board and then Butler leaving changed everything. Each individual school has (for every sport) has one or two more games they can play and scheduling those takes a lot of time. Once they finalize the schedule with all the contracts (things that normally occur during the school year), then the schedule has to be approved by a board on campus. This is normal protocol at every D1 school. The problem could be that the committee doesn't meet much during the summer.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on July 18, 2012, 10:43:46 AM
Schedules were mostly complete across the board and then Butler leaving changed everything. Each individual school has (for every sport) has one or two more games they can play and scheduling those takes a lot of time. Once they finalize the schedule with all the contracts (things that normally occur during the school year), then the schedule has to be approved by a board on campus. This is normal protocol at every D1 school. The problem could be that the committee doesn't meet much during the summer.

Sounds like a good time to use gotomeeting.com (kinda kidding, kinda not).

IndyValpo

Quote from: Pgmado on July 18, 2012, 10:43:46 AM
Butler had to change a majority of their schedule and their VB schedule has been announced.  Both our soccer schedules have been announced for weeks.  Not a huge deal but like Setshot, I am surprised we have not published anything.  I know that we have a home match with IUPUI (their schedule is announced).

setshot

Looks like a great schedule. Alot of away matches to start the season,but some quality competition in Iowa,indiana,Missouri,Miami of Ohio,et. al. Good luck and let's make it to the "dance." :thumbsup:

LaPorteAveApostle

Link or it didn't happen... ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

swiftmutiny

That's a lot of traveling. Looks like they have some good games lined up though, can't wait for the season to start!

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on Today at 03:59:10 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on Today at 03:26:51 PM
Link or it didn't happen...

setshot has no idea how to link anything! 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/volleyball/schedule/

Ok, now, we, as fans can plan to get excited about Valpo volleyball.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpospartan

Ah there's good news tonight: We have the VB schedule and they have made it printable.  Thanks Athletic dep't.

valpotx

Looks like a good schedule, but I find it interesting that we will play SDSU and Chicago State twice this season.  I assume that might have to do with not knowing who would be in the Iowa tournament with us, before scheduling the non-conference tilts with them.  Valpo fans should take notice of our volleyball program if they have not already.  Being one of twelve teams nationally to win 20+ games in a row for 10 years is a nice feat!  I attended many volleyball games while in school, and loved the duels we had with ORU when both teams were solid in my JR and SR years.  The matches can get pretty intense!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

You really get a lot of bang for your buck, at VU VB games.  Coach Avery assembles very competitive teams.  The games are a blast to watch & those ladies can really hit that ball. 
So y'all come.