• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Crusader Mascot

Started by 32, April 01, 2011, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valposter

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

vuweathernerd

that survey must've not gone out very far, or maybe restricted to campus only. because this is the first i'm hearing of it.

valporun

Was that IMC survey the one about opinions on the rebranding with the new logo/color scheme, mascot, and feeling about how these changes help you promote VU away from campus? If that's the one, then I filled it out a few weeks back.

Ralph

I still like the Valparaiso Global Water idea.

If Alabama can have the Crimson Tide and Tulane can have the Green Wave, we can have the Global Water!

Valposter

Quote from: valporun on January 03, 2013, 04:17:19 PM
Was that IMC survey the one about opinions on the rebranding with the new logo/color scheme, mascot, and feeling about how these changes help you promote VU away from campus? If that's the one, then I filled it out a few weeks back.

Is Valpo planning on rebranding?
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

VULB#62

Quote from: Valposter on January 03, 2013, 05:13:22 PM

I seriously doubt it.  Like anything 'new' (i.e., the current rebranding happened in 2010, right?) and now that the rebrand has been out there for a while, the university is soliciting feedback on it for the purpose of refinement -- not change.  Change at this point would be very expensive, especially after only a short period.  I personally like the new Valpo logo graphic and the color selection. The web sites are a great improvement over the old brand look.  But I could see them tinkering a bit based on the feedback they receive.  The mascot is growing on me too.  At first he looked like a plastic blow-up figure, but over the past couple of hers he has begun to take on a personality.  i especially liked him in the welcome back to campus video that ran in late August or early September.

Here's the old mascot on Youtube:

Valparaiso University

Here's the new guy:

Welcome Home

You be the judge.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 03, 2013, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: Valposter on January 03, 2013, 05:13:22 PM

I seriously doubt it.  Like anything 'new' (i.e., the current rebranding happened in 2010, right?) and now that the rebrand has been out there for a while, the university is soliciting feedback on it for the purpose of refinement -- not change.  Change at this point would be very expensive, especially after only a short period.  I personally like the new Valpo logo graphic and the color selection. The web sites are a great improvement over the old brand look.  But I could see them tinkering a bit based on the feedback they receive.  The mascot is growing on me too.  At first he looked like a plastic blow-up figure, but over the past couple of hers he has begun to take on a personality. i especially liked him in the welcome back to campus video that ran in late August or early September.

Here's the old mascot on Youtube:

Valparaiso University

Here's the new guy:

Welcome Home

You be the judge.

In all due respect, how can a faceless, sexless, emotionless, voiceless being "take on a personality?"  It doesn't display warmth or fun or happiness or any other positive human emotion - because it can't.  The new character was specifically designed to satisfy someone's need to show that the University is properly "inclusive."  Since it is impossible to have one face that represents both genders, every race, etc., our former happy, bubbly, upbeat, full of personality Crusader became a faceless, cold, bland suit of armor. It was, is, and always will be a terrible change. 

That aside, I agree with your thoughts about the new colors and logo.  I even bought a long sleeve Valpo T in the new green that looks pretty sharp.

Valposter

I agree that I really like the new logo.  The design, color scheme, everything works very well.  I mentioned in another thread that the Crusader in the logo looks noble and confident.  Having the Crusader holding the Valpo Shield adds dignity, integrity, and all of the other positive ideals the Valpo Shield represents.  I think it really works in positioning the Valpo brand.  I wouldn't change a thing with the logo.  I think it works for all of the very important components that make Valpo the great institution that it is:  academics, athletics and religious principles (these are not easy to represent simultaneouslly).

Also, I do think the current mascot can develop a personality over time with a proper marketing strategy.  Including him in adverstising and promotional campaigns certainly helps, like the video campaign referenced.  Getting him out in various community functions exhibiting "event appropriate" behaviors helps over time.  And most importantly, have him be creative in whatever public settings he is in.  This is the most important thing.  For example, when he is at athletic events he needs to be an entertainer and creative in utlizing props and being entertaining and funny.  A prime example is the San Diego Chicken from back in the day.  He used a ton of props and was very funny.  He would have plastic eggs drop from his backside.  He would hatch out of a giant egg.  He would wear a Blues Brothers suit with hat and sun glasses and lipsinc Blues Brothers songs.  He would run the bases with his big chicken feet and headfirst slide into bases and homeplate.  He would get behind the homeplate umpire and base umpires and mock them, and they would play along.  He would bring out a Barney Mascot (no one over age 3 liked Barney) and beat the heck out of him.....it was hilarious  He would get on the dugout and do goofy dances.  He would have little kids come out with him dressed as "Baby Chickens" and act like him.  I could go on and on.  The point is that his features never changed, but he had a huge personality.  Not because he had eyes or a face, but because he was hugely creative and hilarously funny with a well-planned, designed, choregraphed (sp?) performance.   So, let's get the Valpo Crusader some Crusader theme-based props and some funny pop culture props and some creative schticks and let him have some fun and entertain us.  Then we would all agree the Valpo Crusader mascot had a personality. 

As far as the costume, I think it could always be better, but it is certainly sufficient to accomplish the goal.  It is up to the person in the costume and the people managing and training the person in the costume.  Disney is a prime example of how they manage their costume characters.  There are a set of very detailed "branding rules" for each "character" that the person wearing the costume must know, understand and adhere to, and they are trainned and managed accordingly.  It would make this part easier if there was some consistency, at least in the short-term, in who is wearing the costume.  Make it an internship and get a creative theater student that can create a character and make it happen.  The "character development" must be managed.  It just doesn't happen by accident.

Thoughts?       

VULB#62

I agree with what you are saying and to a degree with WH.  His point (a faceless character) underscores the issue that without a face it's hard to convey the hilarious things you mention, valposter.  I don't get to any games in the ARC and only have been to two football games since the new mascot came on board, so I can't judge how involved and how well trained it is (I say "it" because who knows what gender the person inside the costume is?).

Valposter

Talking about the Famous Chicken (fka the San Diego Chicken) in this mascot thread brought back some fond memories so I thought I would do a google search and share:

The Famous Chicken's website (I guess he is in semi-retirement now):

http://www.famouschicken.com/index.html

The youtube video of the hilarous Famous Chicken vs. Barney battle:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IML4CM5-rsM

The greatest mascot ever (Forbes Magazine and ESPN has him ranked as #1 sports mascot of all-time).  We are a big baseball family and we travelled to several minor league ballparks MANY times with our son when he was very young so he could see the Chicken perform.......he loved the Chicken back then......great stuff.......

LaPorteAveApostle

Quotewithout a face it's hard to convey the hilarious things you mention

so...with a face that never moves you can convey a range of expressions?!?!?

(and tell that to Jeff Van Gundy!)

http://gifrific.com/jeff-van-gundys-blank-stare/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 04, 2013, 03:33:49 PM
Quotewithout a face it's hard to convey the hilarious things you mention

so...with a face that never moves you can convey a range of expressions?!?!?

More accurately it's one expression appealing to a range of emotions.  Think about billboard or magazine advertising or any form of still photography advertising.  Depending on the context, a simple fixed smile can appeal to a range of positive emotions, such as happiness, fulfillment, confidence, security, love, peace, relaxation, self esteem, optimism, etc.  It can be very powerful.

VULB#62

First of all we need a name for our Crusader (is there one?)  Second, he has no face, just a face mask.

Here's Sparty from Michigan State -- he's got a face, but he ain't smiling.

valporun

62, what should the Crusader's name be..Creepy?

VULB#62

I really don't have an answer.  That's actually a problem isn't it?  What DO you name the Crusader?  Rabbit is already taken and technically it comes after 'Crusader'. Saderofthelostarc would probably say "Sader."  But then he might suggest Arkie.  There is Creepy as you mentioned, then Carl or Carlton. Digging back into Valpo's past, the university's first Mascot was a Uhlan (a light cavalryman) -- how about Uhlan the Crusader? Caped Crusader is copywrited by Batman, I believe.   When all else fails, how about "Bob"?   ;D

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 05, 2013, 09:43:24 AM

When all else fails, how about "Bob"?   ;D

Way too sexist for the agenda behind this change.  Pat would be much better.

valpo04

Quote from: wh on January 05, 2013, 10:09:43 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 05, 2013, 09:43:24 AM

When all else fails, how about "Bob"?   ;D

Way too sexist for the agenda behind this change.  Pat would be much better.

wh beat me to it!

VULB#62

mj

I received the IMC survey via email a few weeks back. It basically asked questions like what type of emotions you felt when you saw the logo. Hopefully I wasn't too harsh...
I believe that we will win.

bbtds

Chris Crusader, it's gender neutral and both have the hard "K" sound.

Valposter

I like it.  Put my vote down for Chris Crusader.

LaPorteAveApostle

I like it three.  Add a "t" at the end of the word to make it redundant.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

crusader1897

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 04, 2013, 09:59:04 AM
I agree with what you are saying and to a degree with WH.  His point (a faceless character) underscores the issue that without a face it's hard to convey the hilarious things you mention, valposter.  I don't get to any games in the ARC and only have been to two football games since the new mascot came on board, so I can't judge how involved and how well trained it is (I say "it" because who knows what gender the person inside the costume is?).

From my experience on campus (just graduated Spring 2012), the Crusader was almost always male (which I find a bit ironic since it's supposed to be gender-neutral).

a3uge

They did a "name the Crusader" poll a few years back and " the Crusader" won handily, for the record.