• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Poll #2 - Predict 3 new additions

Started by IndyValpo, July 15, 2012, 09:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The three new HLteams will be...

Oakland
16 (72.7%)
Murray State
5 (22.7%)
Belmont
1 (4.5%)
Robert Morris
3 (13.6%)
IPFW
4 (18.2%)
Northern Illinois
3 (13.6%)
Morehead State
1 (4.5%)
George Mason
0 (0%)
IUPUI
9 (40.9%)
Drexel
1 (4.5%)
UMKC
1 (4.5%)
Eastern Kentucky
0 (0%)
Bradley
4 (18.2%)
Evansville
2 (9.1%)
Lipscomb
0 (0%)
Other
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: August 14, 2012, 09:49:26 AM

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on November 20, 2012, 10:05:56 AMI believe that the grace period is 3 seasons to get back to the minimum number of schools. Just adding Oakland will take care of that issue, and hopefully we go with Belmont and Evansville from there to add 2 more schools with baseball, and private to boot :)

valpotx, I agree Evansville would be a good add too. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Valposter

Quote from: valpo84 on November 20, 2012, 10:24:16 AMWith Maryland's and Rutger's move to the B14G, time to start thinking bigger than Oakland. The Big Least is faltering (see news about Boise State considering going back to Mountain West). Are there schools there that would be good adds to expand the conference and focus on its strength in basketball, for example Providence and Villanova have no good homes. What about St John? You add the media markets of the East Coast and add solid basketball first schools. Georgetown is also out there. Louisville or UConn will be heading to ACC. Adding at a minimum Nova, Providence and St Johns would strengthen and solidify the conference. Discuss.... (but think bigger -- Oakland is basically a redundancy and stop gap not a great add).

It would be great to add Nova, Providence and/or St. Johns.  But don't you think they would look more to the A-10 with their East Coast footprint being a better fit geographically. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpo84

But the A-10 has 14 schools already, and Nova, eg, would already have to compete with Temple and St Joes, etc, for Philly attention. Yes they could go there, but Horizon spreads their recruiting and other marketing to the midwest and would keep their East Coast as well. Essentially the Horizon would compete directly with A-10. I'd still prefer St Louis be added, but Horizon needs to think broadly and forwardly. (BTW and probably better for the basketball threads but St Louis and New Mexico looked really, really good yesterday.)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusadermoe

Duchesnse?  instead of Robert Morris.   
Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit is our key asset to offer, esp. in basketball.   While I think the east coast is a really BIG reach.....I LOVE THE SPECULATION biz.   
On a more modest level, I still see Bradley as a great fit and wonder how well they are doing in the MVC across all sports.    Pull Drake at the same time since I would guess they don't do well in baseball where they are and would like the Chicago and Milwaukee tie-ins.   Too bad there isn't a small D-1 in the Twin Cities market.     

VULB#62

Speculation about the eastern Big Least schools is not gonna do it.  The rationale for them staying eastern that was expressed is pretty much spot on.  But, no one mentioned DePaul -- they need to get away from the Big Least to resurrect their BB program.  Too close to UIC and Loyola?

okinawatyphoon

I think DePaul would be a terrific addition. It's an excellent school that as 62 said, needs some help getting its basketball program back together.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

crusadermoe

DEPAUL is a great idea.     I think I suggested that along with Bradley and Northern Illinois as possibilities.   

Keeps travel inexpensive and maybe actually PENETRATES Chicago market further if we add Depaul.   We're just a blip now.

valporun

DePaul would be a perfect addition, as it would open up more potential for rivalries, and gives us 3 Chicago games a year, or a rotation of 2 Chicago games a year leaving out either Loyola, UIC, or DePaul in a given year. It would also help DePaul's recruiting door in Chicago, now that parents would be able to see HL games in three Chicago locations, plus Valpo, Milwaukee, and potentially Green Bay, if they choose to travel so far. DePaul always struggled to get the Chicago kids to stay because they wouldn't hire a Chicago guy to recruit the Chicago Public Schools for their increased hopes in the Big East. They've had what seems like a handful of coaches since firing Joey Meyer, but none of the coaches they've hired since were successful in keeping Chicago kids in the city.

I'm not sure NIU would move, considering they are more of a football school, with a strong presence in the MAC, that they wouldn't want to walk away from.

VULB#62

valporun

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 21, 2012, 11:47:03 PM
DePaul downside -- no baseball.

True, but if we get Oakland and DePaul, we increase a handle on two major Midwest markets, Chicago and Detroit, and might keep some of those basketball players closer to home for college play. It would also help DePaul's recruiting because some of the kids like to play in front of family more, and plane flights to Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Florida, can get expensive.

crusadermoe

Usually.....you would rule out a "step down", but the Big East is a mess and DePaul doesn't play football.    Adding baseball seems like a snap given how much money they must be spending on Big East sports travel each year.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 22, 2012, 10:12:26 PM
Usually.....you would rule out a "step down", but the Big East is a mess and DePaul doesn't play football.    Adding baseball seems like a snap given how much money they must be spending on Big East sports travel each year.

maybe they could use their travel savings to add it. (or is that what you're alluding to, moe?)

Big D

I highly doubt DePaul is ever going to consider joining the HL.  When the Big East finally breaks up for good they have 3 options that make more sense for them than the HL.  They can remain in a conference with the basketball schools from the Big East that won't be joining football conference.   DePaul, Georgetown, St Johns, Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Providence is a nice start to a power basketball conference.  They could pick off the top few A-10 schools to make a solid 10 team basketball conference.  UD, Xavier, and Butler would jump at the chance to be in that conference.  If that doesn't come to fruition, DePaul would look to join the A-10 or the MVC before they would ever consider the HL.   

FWalum

Meeting next week with some friends from Nelligan Sports Management and while they don't represent any of the programs we really want in the conference they do have teams that want to be in the HL (and teams already in the HL) and should have some nitty gritty on which way things are headed and what teams the HL has shown interest in adding.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Quote from: Big D on November 23, 2012, 09:46:32 AM
I highly doubt DePaul is ever going to consider joining the HL.  When the Big East finally breaks up for good they have 3 options that make more sense for them than the HL.  They can remain in a conference with the basketball schools from the Big East that won't be joining football conference.   DePaul, Georgetown, St Johns, Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Providence is a nice start to a power basketball conference.  # They could pick off the top few A-10 schools to make a solid 10 team basketball conference.  UD, Xavier, and Butler would jump at the chance to be in that conference.  If that doesn't come to fruition, DePaul would look to join the A-10 or the MVC before they would ever consider the HL.   

Interesting and perceptive analysis Big D.  But, in each of those scenarios, IMO, DePaul would still be swimming up stream.  They need to change the loser perception quickly.  Those might not do it.  In the HL they come in as a "name BB school" despite their current woes, they would immediately see a an upswing in their W-L record, the discussion about home-based recruiting can really help them, plus, is the MVC looking for another team?  If the HL is looking to become at at-large league, DePaul certainly makes sense from the HL perspective.

Be interesting to hear what FW learns.

#  In that case, would Valpo like to be included in that conversation?  Would have to be Ohio and west -- none of eastern A-10 would be interested in something like that (again, MHO).  Just asking...

LaPorteAveApostle

Come on--anyone who used to play in the Rosemont Horizon is a natural HL fit.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Big D

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 23, 2012, 07:02:49 PM
Interesting and perceptive analysis Big D.  But, in each of those scenarios, IMO, DePaul would still be swimming up stream.  They need to change the loser perception quickly.  Those might not do it.  In the HL they come in as a "name BB school" despite their current woes, they would immediately see a an upswing in their W-L record, the discussion about home-based recruiting can really help them, plus, is the MVC looking for another team?  If the HL is looking to become at at-large league, DePaul certainly makes sense from the HL perspective.
I think DePaul, like most schools, consider their finances first and foremost.  DePaul makes an absolute fortune from the Big East's TV contract and their share of Big East NCAA tournament money.  I doubt they really care if they could be a big fish in a small pond by joining the HL.    They will try to stay with the rest of the Big East basketball schools if they can, next they will try to get into the A-10, and last try to get into the MVC.  DePaul hasn't had a good basketball team in years.  They do have value to the Big East and to the A-10 or MVC if they approached those conferences because they add the Chicago media market and they also give each of those conferences a solid recruiting base in Chicago. 
No offense, but I doubt Valpo would be in the discussion if the Big East basketball school decided to form their own conference.  I think the Big East would want schools with name value, NCAA tournament success, a big fanbase, and top of the line facilities.   I think there are several A-10 teams and even a few CAA teams they would go after before they come calling.   

wh

Quote from: Big D on November 23, 2012, 11:12:02 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 23, 2012, 07:02:49 PM
I think DePaul, like most schools, consider their finances first and foremost.  DePaul makes an absolute fortune from the Big East's TV contract and their share of Big East NCAA tournament money.  I doubt they really care if they could be a big fish in a small pond by joining the HL.    They will try to stay with the rest of the Big East basketball schools if they can, next they will try to get into the A-10, and last try to get into the MVC.  DePaul hasn't had a good basketball team in years.  They do have value to the Big East and to the A-10 or MVC if they approached those conferences because they add the Chicago media market and they also give each of those conferences a solid recruiting base in Chicago. 
No offense, but I doubt Valpo would be in the discussion if the Big East basketball school decided to form their own conference.  I think the Big East would want schools with name value, NCAA tournament success, a big fanbase, and top of the line facilities.   I think there are several A-10 teams and even a few CAA teams they would go after before they come calling.   

No offense taken, at least on my part.  The Horizon League is a good fit for Valpo.  Sometimes you have to learn to leave well enough alone. 

valpotx

It is for now.  We will see what happens with this next round of shuffling, as I think we would be an even better fit for the MVC  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on November 24, 2012, 01:17:36 AM
No offense taken, at least on my part.  The Horizon League is a good fit for Valpo.  Sometimes you have to learn to leave well enough alone.

The same could have been said about the Mid-Con in the late '90s.  If Valpo keeps dominating the Horizon for a few more years, I wouldn't be surprised if the university at least listened to offers from more prominent conferences.  As valpotx points out, conference shuffling looks like it will continue, so Valpo just needs to be ready for any opportunities that may arise.