• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Quality of The Valpo Fan Zone

Started by vu72, July 16, 2012, 05:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

I wish I was trying to flatter someone but this post is really aimed at all who post here.

Here's my point:  If you look at the number of athletic related posts on the forum and in what subject, about 25% are on subjects other than basketball.  If you add in the number of posts on Valpo subjects not athletic and the women's basketball posts, we're pushing 40% on non-men's basketball.

Not to pick on our friends on the Butler board, but, as an example, look at their site.  In the area titled "Other Butler Sports", which includes Women's hoops, there hasn't been a post since January of 2011!!!!!!!! There are a total number of posts on these matters of 178.

I guess what I'm saying is that the people here are genuine Valpo fans regardless of source, be it academic, physical campus changes, leadership changes or any sport--ANY!  For this I think we should all be proud as it says a lot about who we are as fans, alumni or just interested parties.

Again, not to point fingers, I just found it interesting. To each his own...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Gotta  agree 72.  Since joining, i have learned more about VU sports and the university as whole in on year than in many years preceding.  I also got really cranked about the softball and baseball teams --- something that would never have happened without it.

valpo95

Agreed!  Congrats and good job to our administrators (valpo04 and valpohoops) who have done a nice job with the site.  As I think back on the history, through the voy and proboards versions, this latest incarnation is great --- there also have been others who have been administrators or played important roles as well.  There also are some fine posters here, and that is what makes a site like this so successful.

historyman

I must agree. Fine job by all involved (even that new guy with the jewish meal first part of his name  ;) ).
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on July 19, 2012, 10:59:45 AM
I must agree. Fine job by all involved (even that new guy with the jewish meal first part of his name  ;) ).

i have a hunch that he's not new. just a new name.

covufan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on July 19, 2012, 12:31:41 PM
Quote from: historyman on July 19, 2012, 10:59:45 AM

i have a hunch that he's not new. just a new name.
I didn't even see that.  I guess they resigned up so that they could put their nose up Freeman's...

valpospartan

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 16, 2012, 10:11:34 PM
Gotta  agree 72.  Since joining, i have learned more about VU sports and the university as whole in on year than in many years preceding.  I also got really cranked about the softball and baseball teams --- something that would never have happened without it.

I would like to see more people get cranked up about the Volley Ball team.  Coach Avery has done a fantastic job of assembling very competitive teams, which are fun to watch.  One of the most successful VU sports teams needs more support from students and community.

historyman

I for one will be at more volleyball matches this season. As soon as they get the schedule done I'll know when to come. I'm getting cranked up for the volleyball season as soon as the nets get cranked up.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

SadersofthelostArc

I would like to second the appreciation for the board's admins...from what I can tell, I would consider them a) tough and b) fair.  Great job guys!

SadersofthelostArc

Thanks to historyman for the kind words...as I've been lurking, I have come to appreciate your posts more and more.  Thanks also to valpo95 for the subtle compliment!

covufan on the other hand ....lol, jk bro, I forgive you for the little jab.  After Keith's latest move, you won't see me supporting that "man" anytime soon.

blackpantheruwm

In the summers, the UWMFreak board spends more time talking about the non-existent football program than the basketball team.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on July 21, 2012, 5:32:15 AM
the non-existent football program

Would you rather have no football program or a football program that gets beat 86-7?  Think hard about it pantha.

VULB#62

Can't answer for Panther, but suspect he'd say YES.  I'm guessing his yes would be based on a scholarship FCS program. I remember him stating that only UW-Madison has a football scholarship program in the state, so they'd have a target-rich recruiting environment.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 22, 2012, 08:48:59 AM
Can't answer for Panther, but suspect he'd say YES.  I'm guessing his yes would be based on a scholarship FCS program. I remember him stating that only UW-Madison has a football scholarship program in the state, so they'd have a target-rich recruiting environment.
[/b]

Don't be to sure about that.  It has mostly to do with great recruiting as just the fact that the state of Wisconsin only has one scholarship football program will certainly not insure success for Milwaukee.  Witness the U of Minnesota.  Same exact setup, being the only major college football team in the State.  I suppose there are D2 scholarship programs in Minnesota, but in general, Wisconsin and Minnesota are the same.

The reality is that a State like Minnesota or Wisconsin don't have the depth of talent that say, an Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas or Florida might have.  Both Minnesota and Wisconsin also lose some quality athletes, who might otherwise play football, to hockey.  The remaining good players may just want to get away from home or go for the allure of another big name program.

What I'm saying is that what Wisconsin has accomplished on the football field is terrific and in spite of the lack of volume of great football players within their boundaries.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

UW-Madison has 52 instate players out of a roster of 109 players. Of course there are more than 52 great players in the state.  Assuming that some WI kids want to see the world, there are still a bunch of pretty good athletes left in the state.  I'm thinking Panther sees this group as the target pool and thinks that with UW Milwaukee providing an FCS option for some kids, it could be to their benefit. B apically why go to WIU, Ill State, etc.  When you can go to Milwaukee.

Panther -- where the heck are you?  You need to put to bed all this speculation.

SadersofthelostArc

Overall, I'd rather have a football program too.  But man, it's been brutal for the last decade.