• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Residence Halls & apartments

Started by okinawatyphoon, April 03, 2011, 04:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcvalpo

Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 01, 2011, 09:04:58 PM
what is this salt you speak of?  ;)

Haha, that rare around the dorms, ay?!?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 01, 2011, 09:51:51 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 01, 2011, 09:04:58 PM
what is this salt you speak of?  ;)

Haha, that rare around the dorms, ay?!?

around campus as a whole it seems like. in recent years, the salt started out somewhat normally, but by january it's like there was none to be found...

sectionee

It is almost like that stuff cost money.  They probably only budget for so much and if it is an extra wet/cold winter it gets used up quicker.

dcvalpo

Ok people, we need to do something about this.

I will be the first to donate a bag of rock salt.  I will leave it in front of Lankenau sometime in December. 

Who else will join me in donating?? 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 02, 2011, 08:53:05 PM
Ok people, we need to do something about this.

I will be the first to donate a bag of rock salt.  I will leave it in front of Lankenau sometime in December.  

Who else will join me in donating??  

i'll mail a check for some salt. i've slipped and almost hurt myself way too many times over my time on campus.

letsgovu

Quote from: sectionee on June 02, 2011, 07:51:26 PM
It is almost like that stuff cost money.  They probably only budget for so much and if it is an extra wet/cold winter it gets used up quicker.
understandable but this was mid December, not February.

There were also a couple basketball games last year that I felt I was risking my life walking down the sidewalk from the parking lot to the ARC.  If there was any salting going on, I saw no evidence of it.

dcvalpo

Quote from: letsgovu on June 10, 2011, 05:24:24 PM
Quote from: sectionee on June 02, 2011, 07:51:26 PM
understandable but this was mid December, not February.

There were also a couple basketball games last year that I felt I was risking my life walking down the sidewalk from the parking lot to the ARC.  If there was any salting going on, I saw no evidence of it.

One of these days, a "risk" is going to end up as a "tragedy."  VU has got to do a better job with this rock salt problem.  I'll up my donation to two bags.

Could this lack of salt be the reason for such low student attendance at games?  Maybe students don't feel like risking life and limb to be there.  Just putting the pieces together here, that's all.

valpo95

You know how sometimes there is a canned food drive at various events?

I just had the vision of loyal Crusader fans showing up with a bag of salt to the early season games...I can picture a mis-shapen pile of two dozen bags next to the corner of the door of the ARC, all of various brands, colors and formulas.  I think I have some "Wizard Ice Melt" in my garage from this past year...

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpo95 on June 15, 2011, 08:14:11 AM
You know how sometimes there is a canned food drive at various events?

I just had the vision of loyal Crusader fans showing up with a bag of salt to the early season games...I can picture a mis-shapen pile of two dozen bags next to the corner of the door of the ARC, all of various brands, colors and formulas.  I think I have some "Wizard Ice Melt" in my garage from this past year...

Haha, I love this idea...I wonder if the athletic dept would give people $1 off admission for bringing in salt?

okinawatyphoon

Despite hating that we're still talking about this whole salt thing, I must add that I didn't think the university did a terrible job with the sidewalks. Sure there were problems here and there, but you have to be realistic. We are dealing with unpredictable circumstances and limited resources. I have slipped on occasion, but mostly it was either during a storm or right after one. Man, there has got to be something better to discuss!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

sectionee

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 15, 2011, 07:02:53 PM
Despite hating that we're still talking about this whole salt thing, I must add that I didn't think the university did a terrible job with the sidewalks. Sure there were problems here and there, but you have to be realistic. We are dealing with unpredictable circumstances and limited resources. I have slipped on occasion, but mostly it was either during a storm or right after one. Man, there has got to be something better to discuss!
Bravo sir, bravo!   :thumbsup:

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on August 18, 2011, 02:47:28 PM
Quote from: valpopal on August 18, 2011, 08:53:24 AM
Don't feel too sad. Construction on the new north entrance to the university has begun.

Huh - where is that?  Those look sort of like the Uptown apartments?

There was still some work ongoing, on the Uptown apartments or a nearby development, earlier this week.  I wondered if it was meant to be finished before students arrived. 

The new north entrance to the university is just east of the Credit Union building and will lead into the drive beside Scheele Hall. Here is a description: "The University Promenade is a commercial/residential project, built on 2.8 acres along University Drive between Lincolnway and LaPorte Avenue, leading into Valparaiso University. Plans call for two three-story buildings. The first floor will be commercial and retail, and the upper floors will be two-story urban loft style townhomes."

valpopal

There was still some work ongoing, on the Uptown apartments or a nearby development, earlier this week.  I wondered if it was meant to be finished before students arrived.  

Here is an article about the completion of the new Uptown apartments; however, I passed by late Friday and workers were still busy with finishing touches:

http://www.valpolife.com/index.php/business/real-estate/13266-uptown-east-apartment-tenants-move-in-as-construction-completes?utm_source=rotator&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=rotatorClicks

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on August 20, 2011, 01:59:02 AM
There was still some work ongoing, on the Uptown apartments or a nearby development, earlier this week.  I wondered if it was meant to be finished before students arrived. 

Here is an article about the completion of the new Uptown apartments; however, I passed by late Friday and workers were still busy with finishing touches:

http://www.valpolife.com/index.php/business/real-estate/13266-uptown-east-apartment-tenants-move-in-as-construction-completes?utm_source=rotator&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=rotatorClicks

free hungry howies? damn - why couldn't i be there? :( but in all seriousness, it's good to hear that they've finally finished the building

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on August 18, 2011, 03:10:05 PM
The new north entrance to the university is just east of the Credit Union building and will lead into the drive beside Scheele Hall. Here is a description: "The University Promenade is a commercial/residential project, built on 2.8 acres along University Drive between Lincolnway and LaPorte Avenue, leading into Valparaiso University. Plans call for two three-story buildings. The first floor will be commercial and retail, and the upper floors will be two-story urban loft style townhomes."

Right, thanks for the reminder.  I do vaguely remember the other thread.

The space along University is a bit of a wasteland at the moment, so it'll be nice to have some new buildings there.  Even if it threatens to disrupt my commute!

78crusader

This has been briefly mentioned in the last month, but I wanted to know -- has the University Promenade/North Entrance project begun?  If not, does anyone know when it will begin?

Thanks, Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on August 28, 2011, 04:55:24 PM
This has been briefly mentioned in the last month, but I wanted to know -- has the University Promenade/North Entrance project begun?  If not, does anyone know when it will begin?

Thanks, Paul

This was posted by valpopal on the new arts and science building thread.  He said the project has begun and posted this picture:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20.0;attach=50
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Thanks, VU72, but the attached photo was simply the artist's rendering of what the completed project would look like.  This first appeared in the local newspaper a year ago, which I guess is what prompted me to ask if this project has actually begun, or whether it has been tabled until the beginning of next year's construction season.

Paul

valpopal

The construction process of the University Promenade has begun. It is in its early stages. The ground has been cleared and leveled, the construction markers are in the ground, and some of the heavy machinery is on site.

78crusader

Okay.  Thanks, Valpopal.  This project should add quite a bit to the area surrounding campus.  Paul

okinawatyphoon

I am very excited to see progress on the University Promenade when I visit in a couple months. This project should really bring the area to a new level.

78crusader

Probably old news to most of you, but there are some photos up on Flickr showing the north side of Wehrenberg -- if I'm not mistaken (and I might be, I haven't been on campus in a long time), it looks like the north side has a new look.  Very nice!

Hopefully the new dorm will start next spring!  And...a new track! (ok, I can keep hoping, can't I?)

Paul

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: 78crusader on August 30, 2011, 08:14:50 PM
Probably old news to most of you, but there are some photos up on Flickr showing the north side of Wehrenberg -- if I'm not mistaken (and I might be, I haven't been on campus in a long time), it looks like the north side has a new look.  Very nice!

It looks no different to me, so I'm wondering why they posted photos of just Wehrenberg. 'nerd, do you see any differences or changes?

vuweathernerd

looks the same to me. but it is definitely the nw and sw sides, where what used to be the berg dining hall was. not the main entrance to the building, but rather the most practical one for the students.

agibson

The dining hall building is still there, right? It's just not for dining anymore.  I was told they're using it to store surplus furniture.