• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

16 Team Nike Event

Started by VULB#62, August 16, 2012, 10:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Caught this on ESPN.com this AM

http://espn.go.com/boston/ncb/story/_/id/8274359/nike-schools-commit-16-team-mega-event-honor-phil-knight

Would Butler have been invited if still in the Horizon?

Two quotes:

"All of these great basketball programs have been supported by Phil Knight and Nike," Hollis said. "His support of the programs have created scholarships and resources for these departments to excel."

"We have the commitments to move forward from the 16 schools. What we're doing is creating the greatest in-season basketball event of all-time."

Michigan State AD Mark Hollis told ESPN.com that 16 Nike-sponsored schools have committed to participate in a two-tournament event held in honor of Phil Knight. A list of schools committed:

Kentucky (SEC)
Florida (SEC)
Michigan State (Big Ten)
Ohio State (Big Ten)
Duke (ACC)
North Carolina (ACC)
Connecticut (Big East)
Georgetown (Big East)
Texas (Big 12)
Oklahoma (Big 12)
Stanford (Pac-12)
Oregon (Pac-12)
Xavier (A-10)
Butler (A-10)
Gonzaga (WCC)
Portland (WCC)

covufan

I would like to think yes, they would still have been invited.  I think the key for Butler in this case is the relationship with Nike and two National Championship games in the last few years. 

VULB#62

I'm thinking not.  My reasoning is look at the conference representation -- no mid-majors, just the biggies (WCC is there cuz that's where Nike is located) and only two from each at that.  I think Butler's two NCAA final appearances/Nike affiliation got them the A-10 slot over conference schools who might project higher than them this season.  Bottom line is that BU is getting the love and is really working that crowd well.

historyman

I thought it was decided we weren't discussing things about Butler. This thread is in the "Horizon League" category and Butler is no longer in the HL. It should at least be moved to the "Sports Talk" category.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

OK, I'm fine with that  -- how does one do that?  Can the forum admin do that for us?  Valpo04????

wh

Quote from: wh on August 18, 2012, 03:34:18 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on August 16, 2012, 01:30:17 PM
I'm thinking not.  My reasoning is look at the conference representation -- no mid-majors, just the biggies (WCC is there cuz that's where Nike is located) and only two from each at that.  I think Butler's two NCAA final appearances/Nike affiliation got them the A-10 slot over conference schools who might project higher than them this season.  Bottom line is that BU is getting the love and is really working that crowd well.
Invitations went out to 2 teams in each of the top 8 conferences, so BU would not have received an invitation as a member of the HL.  That said, Butler and Portland are basically throw-ins based on the selection criteria:

---  NIKE restricted participation to 2 teams per conf.  That means that several higher profile schools from BCS conferences were excluded.
---  Several other higher profile programs have Adidas sponsorships, so of course they were excluded as well.
---  it looks like only 3 A-10 programs even have Nike sponsorships - Xavier, Dayton and Butler.

This means that Butler's entry into the tournament was predicated on being selected over only one other D1 program - Dayton.  I would call those pretty good odds.