• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2013

Started by boomdad, August 22, 2012, 11:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomdad

Havent read or seen any thing from the team , coach or the Horizon league. I thought like you there would have been some pre season info out. We will find out in 4 days how much gas the pitching has. Good luck ladies and will see everyone in Nashville.

valpotx

Wow, I didn't even realize we started this weekend.  Baseball starts in a few weeks, so it will hopefully be a good Feb for Valpo sports!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Softball wins the first game of the year in TN against Jackson State 11-2.  Good start ladies!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

It seems the Crusaders lost the afternoon game to Belmont in the extra (8th) inning. There is a new rule where they place a runner on 2nd base with no out to start the extra innings. Belmont scored in the top of the 8th. Valpo had the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th but couldn't score. In the top of the 6th inning, with Valpo leading 1-0, Belmont had the bases loaded and two out when the Crusaders walked in the tying run.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

that's a rough way to lose

vusupporter

I believe that's a rule only used in early-season tournament play - the purpose being to keep games as close to on schedule as possible.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vusupporter on February 10, 2013, 09:08:15 AMI believe that's a rule only used in early-season tournament play - the purpose being to keep games as close to on schedule as possible.

ye gods--let's hope.  it's like HS football overtime rules:  as if people settled long-running wars by russian roulette.

with only one empty chamber.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: vusupporter on February 10, 2013, 09:08:15 AMI believe that's a rule only used in early-season tournament play - the purpose being to keep games as close to on schedule as possible.

According to the VU athletics website it's a rule used in "International" competition.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

KL31NY

6.15 Tiebreaker Rule
If, after the completion of at least seven innings of play, the score is tied, the following tiebreaker may be played to determine a winning team:
6.15.1 Starting with the top of the predetermined inning (it is recommended for use beginning in the 10th inning) and each half-inning to follow, the offensive team shall begin its turn at bat with the player scheduled to bat ninth in that half inning being placed on second base (for example, if the No. 5 batter is the lead-off batter, the No. 4 batter in the batting order will be placed on second base). A substitute may be inserted for the base runner. For scoring, see Rule 14.30.
6.15.2 Whether the tiebreaker procedure will be used, and when it shall be invoked, must be determined at the pregame meeting. Use of the tiebreaker also can be determined by conference ruling or tournament policy.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

agibson

Quote from: historyman on February 11, 2013, 12:46:55 PMAccording to the VU athletics website it's a rule used in "International" competition.

It was used in the Olympics, right?

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on February 11, 2013, 03:24:06 PM
Quote from: historyman on February 11, 2013, 12:46:55 PMAccording to the VU athletics website it's a rule used in "International" competition.

It was used in the Olympics, right?

Softball is not an Olympic sport.

http://www.olympic.org/sports

SUMMER OLYMPIC SPORTS
Aquatics
Diving
Swimming
Synchronized Swimming
Water polo
Archery
Athletics (not sure what sport this is)
Badminton
Basketball
Boxing
Canoe kayak
Slalom Sprint
Cycling
Cycling
BMXCycling
RoadCycling
Track
Mountain Bike
Equestrian
Dressage
Eventing
Jumping
Fencing
Football (soccer)
Golf
Gymnastics
Artistic Gymnastics
Rhythmic Gymnastics
Trampoline
Handball
Hockey (I assume they mean field hockey)
Judo
Modern pentathlon
Rowing
Rugby
Sailing
Shooting
Table tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Beach volleyball
Weightlifting
Wrestling
Greco-Roman wrestling

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on February 11, 2013, 05:29:27 PM
Softball is not an Olympic sport.

not anymore. it used to be.

new2ff

Was out of town & didn't see Valpo scores until today, good to see a couple of wins to start off. Not sure if jackson State pitched the pitcher who beat SEMO State, but if they did that was a good win.
The International tie breaker is used in all these early tourney's & is great way for them to keep on schedule & not get behind for other games to follow. It does take some special coaching to win those games. It is almost a must to score a run & key is to get 2 in your half of inning. I have seen tie-breakers themself go on 3, 4, 5, innings before getting a winner.
Looks like tourney coming up in 2 weeks for Valpo will be a little tougher.
Did anyone see some of the teams that Horizon teams were playing this week, some were really big time. Wisconsin_GB was tied 7-7 with Alabama & Al. had to put in their #1 pitcher to finally get the win. What a shocker that would have been.

valporun

The "International" tiebreaker might be new to the NCAA early season tournaments, but softball players have been using this rule for years in summer travel tourneys, and some state high school sports associations use this rule for regular season games to get winners on fields where there are no lights. Teams hate having those tie games after a good 2-hour game in early April, where the sun still goes down around 5 or 5:30PM, and sight isn't all that great. I'm glad to see this rule is being used. It changes the game a lot, in terms of how coaches use certain pitchers late in games, such as was talked about with the GB-Bama game, where Bama had to use their #1 to solidify the win.

KL31NY

Surprised Coach Stevens today while he was in ARC working with some of the team. Got an opportunity to talk with him a bit, say "Hi" to some of the returners that remember me and even had a quick chat with one of our newcomers. You can point to last year's on-field success to make this point, but when you really get to know the personnel with this program, that's what really shows how good a program softball is now. Randy's big recruiting class (our seniors last year) gave us a nice starting point, and Jordan's done so many great things in just a couple years putting things together, and of course the players are great on and off the diamond. Go Crusaders!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

new2ff

Don't know much about the teams we are facing this w/e, except I saw a little blog on W. KY. & they look like a nice team. Not sure how tough of a schedule the teams we are playing have faced, but it looks like only 8 wins between them all. Does anyone know anything about the upcoming games?
Hope we continue on with a good start. The key is to get ready for conference, I do see a 2-3 of our conference teams are playing VERY tough schedules & have been getting beat up a bit [ just from scores I have seen]

new2ff

Other than WKU game having a tough time following things on tourney site. Not getting much help on Valpo either with slow reporting.

I did go to SDSU site & found out they won suspended game 3-2

Went to Pitt site & see although we outhit them 14-8 lost to them this morning.

I assume the W. Michigan game is going, but can;t get any live stats & no info on sites.

Looks like we have been hitting the ball quite well, but have been leaving a lot on base in KEY situations. Maybe someone that went can recap for us when they have time.

boomdad

WKU has a nice junior pitcher in Emily Rousseau. Hid the ball well, threw low 60,s with alot of movement, We just couldent pick the ball up. 95% of the bats were way behind. Popping in the mit before the swing finished.

SDSU ..... Sorry we should have been on that pitcher like white on rice.  But in the kids defense the game was finished the next morning with new a new ump behind the plate and what was a strike last night was a ball the next morning...... Still no offense to brag about

Dayton, We waited until the last of the game to hit. Not enough moxy in the box as one old coach I know would say. Pitching was well enough to keep us in the game. The offense helped its pitchers that game.

Pitt. Again we waited until the last 1/4 of the game to bring the bats to the game, A huge huge terrible call made by the ump between 1st and 2nd who wasnt in position to make the call ended the rally and the game. Its tough enough to compete with a Big East school, do they have to beat the umpires also?

Western Mich. Again we should have gone loco crazy with the bats on the pitcher. Had we faced her last season with our 3,4,5 order. 911 would have had to be on speed dial. Just not enough offense.

Saw some glimmers of greatness from players this weekend. Tara diddnt wait for anyone or any thing she just ripped the ball was very excited to see her cut loose. You could see the hunger in alot of the freshman at the plate also. Defensively were pretty solid all the way around the field. Just some normal freshman pitching mistakes that cost a few long balls. Way to many runners left on base, Probably left bases loaded at least 3 times thru the weekend. Also the 4 hole was lead off way to much. Having Duncan as a lead off is like driving a bull dozer to the super market for a loaf of bread. ( sorry..... dad humor ) Give em time let em grow up and figure it out and they will be solid. The scores of the games dosent tell the whole story. I will bet a drink that what is seen after spring break will look alot different from what was seen this weekend. Keep working ladies it will get better

new2ff

Thanks for the great report.
Games coming up should give them some good experience for conference [ seems like a number of teams in conference are struggling ]
The games against TN. & Florida Gulf coast will be tough ones for sure & Maryland [ that great pitcher did grad ] / Stetson will take a very good game to win. I would think we should stand in there with all the others, yet like you reported can't leave a lot of runners in scoring positions.
Keep it up & things will get better, hope to catch a game later in the year & maybe on the tube if Valpo or Horizon show any.
Tell your daughter to keep swinging away....good things happen.

valpotx

Wow, the women beat UNC-Wilmington 16-1 today!  That is a good victory, as I believe that they are pretty good usually, and are 6-8 currently.  It just looks like our bats came to play.  Awesome job ladies!  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Nice to see Brittany jack one in the first inning    :dance:

valpotx

She had two in the game, and is hitting .481!  :o
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

I get the sense that these girls (women, sorry) are a fun bunch to be around. It's a chemistry I saw on TV last year that
seems to drift over this year's squad as well.