• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Griffyn Carpenter

Started by zvillehaze, July 22, 2011, 05:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

Per his twitter, Triton HS shooting guard is heading to Valpo.

humbleopinion

Do we presume that he'll be a walk-on?
Beamin' Beacons

humbleopinion

From the Butler board in December 2009   

bcarpenter wrote: is there anyone who follows Indiana High School recruiting, who could give me any information on Griffyn Carpenter from Triton High School in Bourbon, Indiana? I know he recently had a big game scoring 32 points with 8 three pointers against Mishawaka Marian, but I can't find anymore info.

Griffyn Carpenter is a junior at Triton and only stands 5'10". Triton plays in Class 1A, the smallest class in Indiana. Griffyn is a good player at that level, but is most definitely not a Division I basketball prospect (he isn't even on the collective recruiting service's radar...).   
Thanks Duck, apparently the kid is a distant relative of mine and I overheard an absurd claim that he was receiving interest from WSU, Cleveland State, Butler, and Valpo...I do know that his father (my uncle) played for Homer Drew back when he coached at Bethel College in Mishawaka.

and from the ISU board:
Taken from an ESPN article from a Scouts.com reporter: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...magesPrint=off

Griffyn Carpenter SG, 6-0, 165 Sophomore, Triton. / Bourbon, Ind.

Carpenter is a deep 3-point threat off the catch or dribble. He has a good-looking stroke with a strong release and follows through. Although he didn't shoot well this weekend, all his shots look to have a chance to go in. Carpenter is a below-average athlete but is strong for his size. He knocks down shots by sprinting the lane in transition, reading penetration or coming off screens. He will also sneak in the lane for an occasional defensive rebound, but he knows his role is to make open 3s.
Beamin' Beacons

sectionee

Maybe a shorter version of Zach Hahn, that maybe a stretch?

zvillehaze

I've been able to connect the dots a bit.  Griffyn's dad, Jack, did play for Bethel under Homer.  He was also a very good golfer (we were the same age, so I played against him in HS).

A quick visit to IHSAA.org would seem to indicate that Griffyn and his younger brother Quentyn are both very good golfers.  It's not impossible to do the golf/basketball combination in college, but the fall golf season really interferes with pre-season workouts.  Best of luck to Griffyn and congrats to his family!

Pgmado

As far as I know, he'll be doing both basketball and golf.

valpopal

Here is a video of Carpenter playing during his senior year, though you may want to turn off the volume (not sure why "Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers was selected for accompaniment):

Griffyn Carpenter (#4 Triton High School) - Basketball Highlights, Senior Year

sectionee

Didn't see much of a left hand....good shooter.  He will need a bit of a quicker release I think, but I'm no talent scout.

humbleopinion

It seems the regional game against Morgan Twp was featured.  I wonder how Griffyn would stack up against Brandon Grubl.  They seem to be similar types of players.
Beamin' Beacons

Pgmado

I wonder how he will stack up against Erik Buggs, Jay Harris, Matt Kenney, Will Bogan, Ben Boggs and even Nick Shelton. Let's not get too excited fellas.

valpospartan

His height is shown as 5'11", 6'0" and 6'1" in this thread.   :rotfl:

DMvalpo18

Quote from: sectionee on July 22, 2011, 04:32:17 PM
Didn't see much of a left hand....good shooter.  He will need a bit of a quicker release I think, but I'm no talent scout.

i saw a decent amount of left hand.

Valpo89

I saw the end of Triton's semistate victory in Lafayette. It was an overtime win. I'm pretty sure the best player on Triton's team was a sophomore this past season, 6-5 or so, and I believe VU is recruiting him. If this Carpenter kid is walking on, maybe that is some incentive for the younger kid to choose VU in a year or two.

sectionee

Griffyn says he is 6'1''. I will have more with him on my blog here later today.  Will post a link when it is done.

milanmiracle

Interesting read. I'd like to see more of him on film against the better competition. He can shoot, I can see that. Did see him catch and shoot a couple of times and for him to be helpful at the next level that's what he'll need to work on. I noticed that defenders can get into his body pretty easily. Not sure what he can do as far as creating his own shot, but I mostly see a catch and shoot or spot up shooter. Can he shoot free throws?

I really would like to see film of him against better competition and that's one of the reasons I really don't like class basketball.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Thanks for posting the interview--but--who does your editing??  "Where you recruited by Valparaiso"  :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

EE - Congratulations again on another fine job.  You have really added a lot of value to the board with these interviews. Griffyn Carpenter sounds like a great kid - the type of young person we want at Valpo, irrespective of athletic achievements.

lowposter

These interviews are really great.  I will take a misspeled  :o word occassionally for the info.

Triton has had incredible success over the years.  Also, no doubt he faced great competition in the summer basketball circuit.

lowposter

sectionee

Quote from: vu72 on July 23, 2011, 04:29:46 PM
Thanks for posting the interview--but--who does your editing??  "Where you recruited by Valparaiso"  :crazy:
The job is open if you want it.  I'm a math teacher so I'm not so good with all them there words.

vu72

Quote from: sectionee on July 24, 2011, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: vu72 on July 23, 2011, 04:29:46 PM
Thanks for posting the interview--but--who does your editing??  "Where you recruited by Valparaiso"  :crazy:
The job is open if you want it.  I'm a math teacher so I'm not so good with all them there words.

Hope you knew I was joking!  Thanks very much for chasing down these guys.  It adds tons to the board!   :thumbsup:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

lol no it's cool.  No one picks on my poor grammar more then my wife.  I have a good sense of humor feel free to crack away!

BigDWSU

sectionee,
I don't know if you are aware of it or not but these interviews you are conducting are NCAA violations and can get Valpo into trouble.  Below is a exert from the University of North Dakota that they posted for their fans about interactions with recruits:

The internet has provided the opportunity for boosters from all over the world to communicate with each other in a way that was not possible before. The following regulations regarding the internet are very important for all boosters to know:

(1) Web sites: The NCAA does not consider the boosters who run Web sites to be members of the media. Therefore, when the administrators of these sites contact a prospective student-athlete (an individual who has started classes for the seventh grade in basketball and ninth grade for all other sports), interview them, and place that interview on their Web site, the University of North Dakota is responsible for the impermissible contact. Recently, the University of Kentucky had a situation where football prospective student-athletes were interviewed by the administrator of such a Web site, which resulted in a NCAA violation for Kentucky. As a result of this violation, the University had to declare both prospective student-athletes (who eventually signed with Kentucky) ineligible and appeal to the NCAA to have their eligibility reinstated.

(2) Message Boards: Boosters participating on a message board are not permitted to write, call, instant message, text, chat with, or e-mail a prospect. Sometimes we will read on a message board that someone thinks it is okay to contact a prospect once they sign a National Letter of Intent with North Dakota. However, that signing does not change the fact he or she is still a prospect and all prohibitions against booster contact continue to apply. We often also hear comments that because a person is not a graduate of North Dakota or a season ticket holder, they believe they are not a booster and it is okay for them to contact a prospect. However, part of the NCAA's definition of a booster includes anyone who contacts a recruit on behalf of the institution. Therefore, as soon as someone on a message board e-mails or sends a message out to a recruit, they automatically become a booster and are subject to the NCAA rules prohibiting such contact.

(3) Social Networking: Boosters are not permitted to use social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace to contact or otherwise attempt to correspond with prospects. This includes, but is not limited to, posting on a wall, using the inbox/e-mail feature, instant messaging, "@replies", "mentions", or direct messaging. Recently, NC State University sent a cease-and-desist letter to a student who had formed a Facebook group urging a prospect to come to the university. The university saw the group as a fan's attempt to recruit the prospect, thus violating NCAA rules.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=154525861269249

sectionee

That is the last thing I want to happen so I will get in contact with some people over there and have them check out what I'm writing.  If they don't like it, it will be gone.

I'm pretty certain every person I've "interviewed" is a registered student of the university.  We'll see I suppose.

Inside the Hall interviews recruits much more in advance then I do.  Pretty sure I'm safe.  Thanks for your concern though. http://www.insidethehall.com/2011/07/15/q-a-hanner-perea-talks-improvement-mindset/

DMvalpo18

those excerpts you provided are from the university of north dakota, so do they apply all across the board to all division 1 institutions?