• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Milwaukee Basketball Banned from Postseason Play Next Year

Started by valpopal, April 09, 2014, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has been informed by the NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance that it was denied the final appeal of a postseason ban of its men's basketball team for 2014-15 because of past cumulative Academic Performance Rate (APR) scores. The decision means that Milwaukee is not eligible for the Horizon League Tournament or any other postseason competition following the regular season next year....

http://www.uwmpanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040914aaa.html

a3uge

Its because Jordan Aaron is a volume guesser on his tests.

FWalum

That would be a big "gotcha" :o if I had signed a NLI with Milwaukee.  Does the NCAA give you an out for that?  I doubt if that possibility was in the recruiting literature....  I think they only have one signed NLI, and if I had an offer from UWM would probably be looking somewhere else.  What a recruiting killer.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

HC

So if a HL team loses to these bums next year will it count against that team in the league standings?

a3uge

Quote from: HC on April 09, 2014, 07:44:50 PM
So if a HL team loses to these bums next year will it count against that team in the league standings?

It should. The SWAC had half their league on probation last year and Southern was still the top seed.

motowntitan

Quote from: HC on April 09, 2014, 07:44:50 PM

Yes.  This is fair since everyone has to play them twice and everyone knows before the season begins. 

motowntitan

Quote from: FWalum on April 09, 2014, 06:17:38 PM
That would be a big "gotcha" :o if I had signed a NLI with Milwaukee.  Does the NCAA give you an out for that?  I doubt if that possibility was in the recruiting literature....  I think they only have one signed NLI, and if I had an offer from UWM would probably be looking somewhere else.  What a recruiting killer.

What is worse is they are loaded with freshmen and sophomores.  According to this link, those players (that aren't the APR problem) can transfer without sitting out a year.  Since they are not UConn, I wouldn't be surprised to sea an Exodus (okay that was a bad pun- but hey tis the season).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7720137/alex-oriakhi-transfer-connecticut-huskies-ncaa-tournament-ban

Big D

Quote from: motowntitan on April 09, 2014, 07:52:56 PM
Quote from: FWalum on April 09, 2014, 06:17:38 PM

What is worse is they are loaded with freshmen and sophomores.  According to this link, those players (that aren't the APR problem) can transfer without sitting out a year.  Since they are not UConn, I wouldn't be surprised to sea an Exodus (okay that was a bad pun- but hey tis the season).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7720137/alex-oriakhi-transfer-connecticut-huskies-ncaa-tournament-ban

UWM only has to worry about their current junior class because they have one year left of eligibility.  UWM will only be banned from post season play next year.  If you read the article closely, it states that the NCAA grants waivers for athletes to transfer if their previous school is ineligible for the postseason for the length of the players' eligibility.    Current freshmen and sophomores at UWM who decide to transfer will have to sit out next year because they don't qualify for the waiver.

VULB#62

Wonder if UWM is re-thinking Jeter's $429K* (approximate by memory) salary in the wake of this?

* based on USAToday's March Madness Coaches Salary table.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on April 09, 2014, 05:50:56 PMIts because Jordan Aaron is a volume guesser on his tests.
noddingproudly.gif

Quote from: motowntitan on April 09, 2014, 07:52:56 PMI wouldn't be surprised to sea an Exodus
wow.  well done.  and that ncaa prez, really, he gypped 'em, huh?

Well, looks like we've gotta add someone to the conference then.  i mean, how are we going to have a nine-team tourney with just 8 teams?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 09, 2014, 09:51:52 PM
Wonder if UWM is re-thinking Jeter's $429K* (approximate by memory) salary in the wake of this?

* based on USAToday's March Madness Coaches Salary table.

Instead, based upon this year's selection of Wardle, I'd say Jeter is currently a leading candidate to be next year's Man of the Year.  ;)

bbtds

Quote from: Big D on April 09, 2014, 08:27:56 PMCurrent freshmen and sophomores at UWM who decide to transfer will have to sit out next year because they don't qualify for the waiver.

The only junior of quality that Milwaukee could lose is Steve McWhorter, who had already transferred in from Indiana State. The other juniors are Evan Richard and Trinson White. I have to believe the guys who it effects the most are sophomores Matt Tiby and Austin Arians. I wonder if Tiby's longer hair will be back next season. Tiby is a quality player who really was the spirit of the team.

valpotx

I don't think that we should be comparing Jeter to Wardle.  Wardle is scum based on what he did, whereas Jeter just had trouble keeping his kids accountable to graduating, or at least getting their degree once their basketball careers were finished.  Having been a student athlete, I put that much more on the student athletes themselves, than the coach.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

jeter saw the rest of the tournament, and now he's thinking "uconn do it too, rob".

A PR move, that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Dave_2010

Any word on our buddy Jimmy's reaction to this news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a3uge

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 10, 2014, 01:39:07 PM
Any word on our buddy Jimmy's reaction to this news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically 24 hours prior to the announcement he sent a Tweet to someone that knocked Julius Randle for not knowing what the word "attainment" was.

Given 10 chances, Jordan Aaron could probably come up with 3.1 correctish definitions.

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on April 10, 2014, 01:54:15 PM
Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 10, 2014, 01:39:07 PMAny word on our buddy Jimmy's reaction to this news? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ironically 24 hours prior to the announcement he sent a Tweet to someone that knocked Julius Randle for not knowing what the word "attainment" was. Given 10 chances, Jordan Aaron could probably come up with 3.1 correctish definitions.

[tweet]454302031143264257[/tweet]
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm no great fan of the NCAA, but apparently there's not enough pulp to be palpable here.

C'mon, kids, go to class.  How hard can UWM be anyway?

(cue Cardale Jones:  "we ain't come here to play SCHOOL!")

HC

My favorite tweet of his was the one where he threatens to expose any D1 coach who calls his players  :thumbsup:

oklahomamick

Just sayin...."We don't share the same academic values of our conference peers." 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

I wonder what they'll do with the tournament bracket.  The easiest modification is probably to give the #4 a single seed, to match what the #3 seed already has.

wh

From this exchange on the UIC board, it looks like they could be next:

Poster #1:

The obvious next question: where does UIC stand?

I know we lost a scholarship due to a low score in 2010-11. That would be part of the rolling 4-year average.

This year's APR is based on the 09-10 through 12-13 seasons.

Poster #2:

09-10: 905
10-11: 915
11-12: 900
12-13: ?

I'm sure if there's bad news it will be made public just before the spring signing period begins.

I'm starting to rethink my support for Valpo remaining in the HL.  If Missouri State moves to the Sun Belt, it could reopen an opportunity to move to the MVC.  That said, I recall that last year's MVC search committee was highly unimpressed with our present athletic facilities - and the lack of a commitment by the university to enhancements beyond a long term wish list.  Basically, nothing has changed since.  I doubt that they would be impressed that the university has committed to installing a new track.  Men's basketball is the straw that stirs the drink.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on April 11, 2014, 02:41:04 PMThe easiest modification is probably to give the #4 a single seed
by "seed" do you mean "bye"?

I think that's best, if so.  A traditional 1/8, 2/7 etc would really render the season all but meaningless (save for the host school).  But as Ricky Bobby's dad would say, "if you ain't first, you're last!"

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 11, 2014, 08:57:16 PM
Quote from: agibson on April 11, 2014, 02:41:04 PMThe easiest modification is probably to give the #4 a single seed
by "seed" do you mean "bye"?

I think that's best, if so.  A traditional 1/8, 2/7 etc would really render the season all but meaningless (save for the host school).  But as Ricky Bobby's dad would say, "if you ain't first, you're last!"
Just for the sake of debate allow me to throw in a new variation of the old "ducky variation".

After the last regular season game is finished and the seeding order established give the #1 seed 1 hour to get back with the HL front office with their choice of the format for that year. Their choices would be limited to the double bye for #1 and #2 with single bye for #3 and #4 (a continuation of our HL format) or give the #1 seed champ the right to choose the traditional everybody playing 3 games avenue. The top seed in that format would also be given the choice of any first round Tuesday night opponent that they wanted and the highest remaining seed for the Saturday matchups would also have that choice of opponent as well as home court. Maybe you could give them a 2 hour window to arrive at their choice of opponent after all those Tuesday night games are completed.

LaPorteAveApostle

See, now stuff like that is something worth playing for.  Plus it would mark the HL as being cutting edge and innovative.

Which is probably why it would never happen.