• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Region - 219 - Wake Up Call on 1/26/19

Started by VU2010, January 26, 2019, 10:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 28, 2019, 06:17:48 PM
QuoteI've said this before but if we want to recruit the Region well, I'd hire Bo Patton on the staff in some capacity. He's a young rising coaching prospect and he's getting great experience now with Don Bosco Prep right now. I know that we don't have as big of a staff as many of the bigger schools but I'd bring him in as a video coordinator, recruiting coordinator or quality control coordinator. eventually promote him to assistant if he impresses, which I think he would.

No, no, a million times no. I don't want anyone from that amoral diploma mill associated with our program, ever since they forced Skara to transfer because VU wouldn't hire the guy they wanted as an assistant coach.

There are good people that work there. The coaching staff would even tell you that if you asked them personally. You can't hold something against someone who has nothing to do Maravilla's decision. He wasn't even there when that crap went down. I've worked for bosses that were @hole of a boss and does their character reflect poorly on me? I'd hope the answer would be no.

I've evolved my thinking on the whole situation over the years.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on January 28, 2019, 07:07:40 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 28, 2019, 06:17:48 PM
QuoteI've said this before but if we want to recruit the Region well, I'd hire Bo Patton on the staff in some capacity. He's a young rising coaching prospect and he's getting great experience now with Don Bosco Prep right now. I know that we don't have as big of a staff as many of the bigger schools but I'd bring him in as a video coordinator, recruiting coordinator or quality control coordinator. eventually promote him to assistant if he impresses, which I think he would.

No, no, a million times no. I don't want anyone from that amoral diploma mill associated with our program, ever since they forced Skara to transfer because VU wouldn't hire the guy they wanted as an assistant coach.

There are good people that work there. The coaching staff would even tell you that if you asked them personally. You can't hold something against someone who has nothing to do Maravilla's decision. He wasn't even there when that crap went down. I've worked for bosses that were @hole of a boss and does their character reflect poorly on me? I'd hope the answer would be no.

I've evolved my thinking on the whole situation over the years.
Agree. Maravilla's evil moves should not cloud our thinking about other employees of Don Bosco.

NativeCheesehead

Disagree. Maravilla brings kids over from foreign countries and represents them when they turn pro. This is one step above a pimp in my book. Anyone that takes a job there, under the name of a holy man, is suspect as hell in my book. Guilty of overlooking wrongdoing at the least and activley participating in it at the worst. Hard pass.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 28, 2019, 07:54:15 PM
Disagree. Maravilla brings kids over from foreign countries and represents them when they turn pro. This is one step above a pimp in my book. Anyone that takes a job there, under the name of a holy man, is suspect as hell in my book. Guilty of overlooking wrongdoing at the least and activley participating in it at the worst. Hard pass.

DBP just doesn't take international kids. For as scummy as the pimping of the international kids could be, he also helps American kids get scholarships and many local kids. There is good and bad. Many AAU programs do the same "pimping" for American kids.

There is a difference from being a coach and the activities that Maravilla does. It's slightly immature to think things like this are black and white.

VU2010

Well at least we had 1300 fans on Tuesday ... down near 2700 from Drake AKA Region Night. And don't blame it on the weather - Loyola's game on Wednesday night looked nice and full.

VUGrad1314

We'll see the rest of the way but I feel confident in my position so I'll just say this: You're wrong and the rest of the season will prove this The parking situation was a huge factor with frostbite being a major concern.