• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #5-Grand Canyon @ Paradise Jam in USVI Noon CST 11/22/19- "Flohoops"

Started by talksalot, November 17, 2019, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Game matchups and start times for the 2019 U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam was released Monday, May 13, 2019. The announcement includes bracketing and official tipoff times for all 24 games of the men's and women's tournaments at the 20th annual Paradise Jam, held Nov. 22-30, 2019 at the University of the Virgin Islands' Sports and Fitness Center in St. Thomas. All games for the upcoming 2019 U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam will stream online at FloHoops.com.

The men's Paradise Jam will tipoff Friday, Nov. 22 at 2 p.m. AST (1 p.m. EST) as the Valparaiso University Crusaders face the Grand Canyon Antelopes. Fordham University and Nevada will face off at 4:15 p.m., followed by Illinois State and Cincinnati at 6:45 p.m. The opening round concludes with a 9 p.m. tipoff between Bowling Green and Western Kentucky.

Losing teams will compete in their second game the following day, Saturday, Nov. 23 with tipoffs scheduled at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Winning teams will have a one-day respite, before facing off in the semifinals, Sunday, Nov. 24. The first semifinal will begin at 6:30 p.m., followed by the second semifinal at 8:30 p.m. All teams will return to the UVI Sports and Fitness Center on Monday for the final days of competition. The seventh-place game will begin at 2 p.m., followed by the fourth-place game at 4:15 p.m., third-place game at 6:45 p.m., and the men's championship game at 9 p.m.

https://basketballtravelers.com/calendar.aspx?path=paradise

The other game in the bracket is Nevada - Fordham.

Back to Grand Canyon....

The Lopes are 1-3, with one game to go before heading to the Islands...

Dan Majerle, a former NBA All-Star and Olympian, is in his seventh year at the helm of GCU men's basketball in 2019-20 after taking over the program on March 18, 2013, as the 13th head coach in Lopes history.

It has been quite an impressive run in the Valley for the former Phoenix Suns star, broadcaster and assistant coach. In six years at GCU, Majerle has amassed 123 wins and five postseason berths on the sideline.

They Lost to "Davenport" 82-73.
Then got Illinois to go to Phoenix, with the Illini willing 83-71, then they went to San Diego and lost to the Aztecs 86-61; then they played (0-3) Arkansas-Pine Bluff at home on Saturday and beat 'em 67-54.

They host Montana State on Tuesday.

For the year, they are 19-78 from 3 pt range, (25%)
They are being out-rebounded by 9 per game.
They are committing only 12.5 TOs per game
They have 2 blocks as a team

Led by Allesandro Lever (6'10" Jr from Italy- 11.5ppg) and Carlos Johnson (6'4" SR Guard 13.5ppg) and Isiah Brown a transfer from Northwestern, 12.8 ppg.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

GCU will get better as the season progresses. Right now they are blending a bunch of new faces...a couple of freshmen, redshirts and a grad transfer.

SanityLost17

From a metrics standpoint, it is REALLY important for us to win the 1st game.   Assuming Cincy is the top dog and wins the tournament, which may not come true, but let's say they take care of business, and also assume Nevada is better than us, and Illinois State is the best loser from the bottom half of the bracket.     

GCU(W)/Nevada(L)/WKU(?) is better for US and the MVC than GCU(L)/Fordham(W)/Illinois State(? -- Either way bad for MVC) 

covufan

We win a close one.

Valpo   77
GCU     72

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephtheria47

We have to win and we need to take advantage of this opportunity. We are a young team and if we can play Nevada and/or Cincy, it will help us not only this year, but will give us a starting point of where we need to get to for the next few years too. Without getting to postseason play, and with the lackluster out of conference games, chances to see how we stack up are few and far between.

I love Sackey and JFL playing together and they'll get it done vs Grand Canyon.

wh

We can thank our lucky stars we're playing in Paradise Jam this year, and not last. St. Thomas  is a difficult place to "manufacture" energy. Everything is alluringly relaxing and slow paced, as it should be in a tropical island paradise.

Dedicated to heaven on earth and wishing I was there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLqJjaPChwg&feature=share

VULB#62

The only real allure is the level of competition.  The gym is small with a seating capacity similar to a small high school. While it is tropical and hanging around a pool or on a beach will be welcomed by the players, unless they are true tourists, the guys will be kind of bored. That, actually, might not be a bad thing.

wh

No doubt we will go down there with a "take care of business" mindset. It's certain self focused individuals from last year's group who seemed to have difficulty keeping their biological clock revved from 1 game to the next, or even 1 half to the next. For people like that, lounging around on an ocean beach between games would be a recipe for disaster - which I guess was my point.

crusader05

The midwest has been pretty cold lately so my guess is the warm weather in and of itself will be worth it, even if they don't get to do much other than sit outside

valpo84

Goals for this trip (in addition to 2 WS)

1. Make Free Throws at a 75% clip
2. Reduce the unforced turnovers. Too many throwing the ball away and dribbling into tdouble triple teams on breaks. Protect the Basketball
3. Eliminate the scoring droughts, particularly when JFL is out of the game. Krikke assisted with another scoring option, and that has to continue. Robinson and Gordon need to contribute veteran leadership when the ball and people aren't moving.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

NativeCheesehead

So from what I gather it's going to cost my $13 to watch these games?

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 19, 2019, 07:14:31 AM
So from what I gather it's going to cost my $13 to watch these games?

I couldn't even gather THAT much, where did you find the info? I might be one of the suckers who pays...

FWalum

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 19, 2019, 09:20:54 AM
https://www.flohoops.com/signup?redirect=%2Flive%2F16665-2019-men-s-paradise-jam&utm_campaign=55517mensparadisejam&utm_medium=display&utm_source=300x250&utm_content=event

And sorry, it's 30 for one month.   

Hard pass.
Not sure where the $30 per month is coming from, it clearly states that one month is $12.50.  I don't think that is horrible for a minimum of 3 games and potentially up to 6 games if you also watch the other MVC team Illinois State.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NativeCheesehead

If you click through it's $12.50 a month if you pay for a year up front.  $30 a month if not.

Valpo89

[/quote]

Does Todd Ickow not travel with the team to do the radio call?
[/quote]

Todd is there.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpo89 on November 19, 2019, 06:24:57 PM

Does Todd Ickow not travel with the team to do the radio call?
[/quote]

Todd is there.
[/quote]

Cool, then I'd expect we can stream the 95.1 WVUR call from Tune-In radio.

GoldenCrusader87

I've been pleasantly surprised thus far this season by the product on the court. Trying not to get too excited as I've done so in the past only to be disappointed down the stretch. I really like the tempo. Lottich a little more fiery. Freeman staying is huge and the team seems to rally behind him. Losing our two 7'ers allows for a better pace. Krikke been decent. Excited to see clay in time develop but will take a little while. Sackey playing well.

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on November 19, 2019, 09:35:35 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised thus far this season by the product on the court. Trying not to get too excited as I've done so in the past only to be disappointed down the stretch. I really like the tempo. Lottich a little more fiery. Freeman staying is huge and the team seems to rally behind him. Losing our two 7'ers allows for a better pace. Krikke been decent. Excited to see clay in time develop but will take a little while. Sackey playing well.

Did you switch your electron setting from negative to positive?    ;)

VULB#62

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 20, 2019, 02:38:17 PM
https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1197252037911683072

Hey, that's my catamaran in that clip!

Seriously, I did own a catamaran down there many years ago, but that one wasn't it. And seriously, what Valpo enrollee gets to have 4 - 5 years of a free, great education and travel to exotic places like Charlotte Amalie, USVI, all on the university's nickel?  I just fervently hope that these kids realize how blessed they are and respond in kind.