• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6-Nevada @ Paradise Jam in USVI 4:30pm CST 11/24/19- "Flohoops"

Started by talksalot, November 22, 2019, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

OK, perhaps jumping the gun... Wolfpack up 15 with 15 to play over an undefeated Fordham team.

https://basketballtravelers.com/documents/2019/5/13/2019_paradise_jam_mens_brackets.pdf

Nevada is about to be 3-3.  Coached by some guy named Steve Alford...

Lost at home to Utah 79-74
Beat Loyola Marymount 72-67
Beat TX-Arlington 80-73
Lost at home to Southern Cal 76-66
Lost at Davidson on their way to the Islands 91-71, Going into the game today, their meaningless RPI is 259, which is 9th in the Mountain West.
(Nevada now up 17 with 13:00 to play)...

They are led by
Jazz Johnson 18.2 ppg  5-10 Sr
Lindsey Drew  17.4 ppg  6.2 rpg  6-4 Sr
Jalen Harris 11.5 ppg  6.3 rpg  6-5 Jr
Misre ZouZoua 10.0 ppg  6-3 Sr

Robby Robinson 6.6 rpg  6-8 soph

Here's the saga of their game with Davidson...

Game Notes:

Nevada (2-3) is now 2-3 after falling 91-71 at Davidson (2-2) in the first road game of the season for the Wolf Pack.

The Pack continues its 10-day road swing with three games in the Paradise Jam in Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands starting on Friday at 12:15 p.m. PT versus Fordham (3-0). 

The games will be streamed on FloHoops.   

Alex Margulies will call the games on 94.5 FM in northern Nevada and online the broadcast can be heard at TuneIn.com.

The series with the Davidson Wildcats is tied at 1-1.  The Pack won the first meeting 81-68 in Reno on Nov. 21, 2017.

Nevada shot a season-high 56 percent from the field and outrebounded the Wildcats 30-24.

For the first time this season the Pack had four players score in double figures with Lindsey Drew leading the way with 14 points. It was the third time in five games that Drew topped the Pack in scoring.

Jazz Johnson, Jalen Harris and Nizré Zouzoua all netted 13 points in the game.

Harris was a rebound shy of his first double-double grabbing a team-high nine boards to go along with his 13 points.

Tonight marked the first game that Nevada did not have the leading scorer in the game as Davidson's Kellan Grady scored a game-high 24 points.

First-year Nevada head coach Steve Alford is 589-301 in 29 years as a college head coach and is 11 wins from 600.

Eight of the nine players that saw action for the Pack scored.

For the second game in a row the Pack's bench outscored its opponent, 18-11 tonight at Davidson.

Nevada committed a season-high 21 turnovers that led to 34 points for the Wildcats.

[Pack up 65-41 with 9:41 to play... I'm feeling safe posting this]
Jalen Harris has 20 pts on 6-9 (4-6 from 3pt)
Jazz Johnson has 17 pts on 5-10 (4-7 from 3pt)
They have 14 assists on 21 baskets.   
12 of 24 from 3pt range
7-10 from the line as a team

VUSWIM08-12

Nevada is a new look team with Alford at the helm and the Martin twins and Caroline gone. They look good against Fordham. This is will be our toughest matchup so far. McMillan will need to stay out of foul trouble,especially if Krikke is out again. If we pull this one we've got something this year!

Valpo-72
Nevada-84

talksalot

I see there are two game threads... this one has the right game time according to the bracket.  it's a 2-hour time difference to the eastern Caribbean.

valpotx

I'm going to pick an upset, with no home court advantage for Nevada.

Valpo 75
Nevada 72

"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Not a bad choice but I have to go with the team that was able to knock off Fordham.

Valpo  76
Nevada  78   OT

bbtds

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2019/11/22/nevada-wolf-pack-basketball-fordham-reach-paradise-jam-bracket/4272890002/

Jalen Harris (22) and Jazz Johnson (17) combined to score 39 of Nevada's 74 points against the Rams, hitting nine of the Pack's 13 3 pointers. Nisre Zouzoua and K.J. Hymes both scored 11 off the bench.

Nevada had 17 assists on its 25 made buckets. Harris lead the way with seven assists. Nevada evened its record at 3-3 with the win, which snapped a two-game losing streak. Fordham dropped to 3-1.

The Rams were lead by 21 points off the bench from Jalen Cobb.

Friday's win was the Pack's first ever at the event. Nevada went 0-3 in the 2014 Paradise Jam.

Valparaiso will enter Sunday's game at 4-1.

covufan

I like our chances on a neutral court. We need to hit the boards and play some defense.

Valpo  77
Nevada 76

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smj

Is this game over?    Or not being shown?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JD24

Quote from: Smj on November 23, 2019, 05:20:51 PMIs this game over?    Or not being shown? Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Not over. It's tomorrow.

PlumStreetBum

Looks like current lines have Nevada -3.5. I think I'll take us to cover if it moves another point in Nevada's favor.

govalpogo

I mean...it's not that I'm not confident in this team...but I'd be VERY happy if they take 1 of the next 2.  Nevada and Cincy present challenges obviously, and BG looked good last night and is picked to win the other side of the MAC. 

Nevada is fitting a lot of new pieces together.  If Valpo's aggression turns them over and gets them off kilter, results could be good.  They seem to rely on the 3 ball, which Valpo has a habit of leaving open...if they hit at a high rate, results are likely not so good.

VUGrad1314

Luckily they just hit a bunch of 3s against Fordham. Hopefully that was their hot game.

bbtds

So the Wolf Pack is gambling that they'll hit a bunch of threes and find a silver lining in their high assist totals. But do you think they will be packing it in on defense and prostituting their famous coach's name? At least they will be playing in the Virgin Islands where the weather is so nice instead of some Virginia city. It doesn't look like Alford will need to do any renovations to their offense.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 23, 2019, 08:20:04 PM
Luckily they just hit a bunch of 3s against Fordham. Hopefully that was their hot game.

Nevada is 3-3 with loses to USC, Utah and loss by 20 pts @ Davidson.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 24, 2019, 05:11:53 AM

Major minutes by Nevada
G 5'10" Sr
G 6'3" Fr from France (6th man type)
G 6'4" Sr
G 6'5" Jr

And then they have (3) F that play with the hot hand
F 6'9" Freshman
F 6'10" transfer from BC Sr (starts?)
F 6'10" Freshman

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 24, 2019, 05:11:53 AM

A bit of a Reno 911 situation, huh?

elephtheria47

Lindsey Drew is back after missing last year due to a ruptured Achilles, and Jazz Johnson is their other guard...but I think our guards are better and will neutralize them. They are bigger than us up front, so I think it comes down to how well we can rebound. I like our chances on a neutral court. Let's get it done!

VUSWIM08-12

Lol, great start valpo , deer in headlights , 3s are contested so they'll slow down but still a god awful start

PlumStreetBum

I thought our FG% against in the Grand Canyon game was a fluke against a hot team, but with Nevada shooting 70% right now I think it's got to be a consequence of awful perimeter defense. Anybody with a video feed care to weigh in? Are we maybe staying too close to the basket to prevent penetration and counter our lack of size in the defensive post?

VUSWIM08-12

Yeah I'm watching , 3s made are a combination of very poor defense and tough shot making . Probably 50/50.

bbtds

So far this is a Wolf mauling with not much gambling involved.

wh

For anyone who's watching, how "contested" are Nevada's "contested 3's" as Todd calls them?

VUSWIM08-12