• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce on ESPN

Started by talksalot, November 25, 2019, 08:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Just caught the end of his post game interview with the guard from THAT school who won't play us... After he was the color commentator on ESPNU.  In a few minutes he'll be on ESPN2 with the second game... Stanford - Oklahoma.

zvillehaze

Quote from: talksalot on November 25, 2019, 08:18:20 PM
Just caught the end of his post game interview with the guard from THAT school who won't play us... After he was the color commentator on ESPNU.  In a few minutes he'll be on ESPN2 with the second game... Stanford - Oklahoma.

Had you tuned in for the 1st half, you could have seen a 15 minute stretch with no game commentary while they talked to Homer about his HOF induction and the glory days of Valpo two decades ago. 

Not sure why he wasn't on the broadcasts last night, but Bryce was replaced by Jon Sundvold for the championship game.

valpo64

Bryce doing national T V?   Hard to believe.  uuh   uuh   I guess the networks , uuh, are doing so many games now they, uuh, uuh,  need any body they can get.

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpo64 on November 27, 2019, 01:58:08 PM
Bryce doing national T V?   Hard to believe.  uuh   uuh   I guess the networks , uuh, are doing so many games now they, uuh, uuh,  need any body they can get.

Monday was the first time I had heard him on a broadcast and I thought he did a nice job.  He's more about providing analysis vs whipping up excitement (ala Dicky V), but thought he added insight to the broadcast.

vu84v2

I watched bits and pieces of the game on Monday. I also thought that Bryce did a nice job. He is far more reserved than many color commentators, but his points were intelligent, relevant and clearly stated. He tried to interject some light humor, which did not seem to go quite as well, but this is probably not his strong suit.

valpotx

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 27, 2019, 01:46:50 PM
Quote from: talksalot on November 25, 2019, 08:18:20 PM

Had you tuned in for the 1st half, you could have seen a 15 minute stretch with no game commentary while they talked to Homer about his HOF induction and the glory days of Valpo two decades ago. 

Not sure why he wasn't on the broadcasts last night, but Bryce was replaced by Jon Sundvold for the championship game.

Thanks, this made my day.  Talking about Valpo during a Butler game.  Priceless.   :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2019, 01:00:26 PMThanks, this made my day.  Talking about Valpo during a Butler game.  Priceless.   

Unfortunately most of the audience was thinking of Valpo being two steps down from a Butler team that really hasn't accomplished anything in quite a few years. The same way most of Indy thinks.

zvillehaze

Quote from: bbtds on November 29, 2019, 06:29:54 AM
Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2019, 01:00:26 PMThanks, this made my day.  Talking about Valpo during a Butler game.  Priceless.   

Unfortunately most of the audience was thinking of Valpo being two steps down from a Butler team that really hasn't accomplished anything in quite a few years. The same way most of Indy thinks.

Yes, as you predicted years ago, leaving the Horizon League would be a huge mistake for Butler.  Kudos to you for also accurately predicting that Butler's deal to have games on local TV would be short-lived.  WNDY hasn't aired a Butler game for several years.  I've also not seen Anthony Calhoun anywhere close to Hinkle Fieldhouse.  David Woods is still covering Butler for the Indy Star, despite their mediocrity.

Quote from: bbtds on May 30, 2012, 11:30:23 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on May 30, 2012, 12:59:16 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 29, 2012, 10:44:41 PM
Quote from: Nildogg on May 29, 2012, 10:31:29 PM
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the finger pointing at Butler in this....

Its clear that a decision was made amongst the HL that Butler was going to be excluded from any championships, etc.... how is that Butler's fault?  (other than leaving the conference in the first place).

And before people go huffing and puffing about the exit fee, just you remember how much money you've banked, and Butler LEFT BEHIND off of our two Championship Game runs!
The dollar amounts we are leaving behind have to be more than the cumulative dollars your program (or almost any other in the league) have generated in your existence!

You'll have a good program next year, be happy, but now you'll get to be the ones that have to deal with the rest of the conference bringing you down...

It's just so easy to see the arrogance that pervades Butler thinking and LeCrone finally after all these years had enough of it. Good riddance, Nildogg. We won't miss you!!!! Also let's make a bet when WNDY lets their TV contract to televise Butler games run out.  2013-14 is my guess. Good luck wondering how your basketball team looks playing on the east coast and paying those $80 A-10 video fees.

I'll take that WNDY bet if your offering it to outsiders. Really, you think they're going to drop the contract because they're playing better teams with more name recognition?

WNDY went many years without Butler, even when Butler made the NCAA tourney just about every year. If Butler starts placing middle of the pack in the A-10 and the ratings start dropping off things will change fast. Also the cost of televising games from Philadelphia, West Mass, New York City, Richmond, etc. will make the Big Bang Theory, 30 Rock & Monk re-runs and Family Fued look a whole lot better ratings wise. None of those Purdue and IU fans with be loyal to Butler. I lived in Indy during those days and I remember what they were like. You think the cash strapped Indy Star will keep David Woods covering Butler when they are mediocre in the A-10. It won't happen.  There is a good reason it is a year by year contract. That glory will fade just as quickly as it started. People are very fickle.

When Anthony Calhoun WISH/WNDY sports director ended the "Butler leaving for the A-10 early" segment on channel 8's newscast he ended saying more cautiously than excitingly that "Yah, we look forward to covering those Butler basketball games on our sister station my Indy 23 coming up this year." That statement coming from a guy who could get excited about almost anything Butler in the past. Anthony Calhoun knows Butler basketball took a hit and it must recover quickly in a tougher conference or things are going downhill quickly. He certainly didn't sound nearly as excited as when he stood on the stage at Hinkle with LeCrone, Collier, Fong and Governor Daniels (by video) and said "back to back Final Fours."

bbtds

BUTLER WHO?

I remember when Calhoun dropped down in his helicopter near Lutheran High's football field pretty much stopping the game that he was reporting on. He is just an attention grabbing Hollywood type. 

It was not a good Friday as both Lutheran High and Valpo High lost their state championship football games in the NO LUC(as) Odome.

Smj

I read this entire thread and im not positive what games he commentated for...

Stanford v. Oklahoma
and
?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

valpo64

Uum, with so many games now on TV,  uum, I am sure the demand for people to do the games, uum is very high.  Uum, I am surprised that Bryce, uum, is among them.  Uum, enough said.

Smj

Quote from: valpo64 on December 12, 2019, 12:04:20 PM
Uum, with so many games now on TV,  uum, I am sure the demand for people to do the games, uum is very high.  Uum, I am surprised that Bryce, uum, is among them.  Uum, enough said.
Actually just watched the game and he did great....   never really heard any uums.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk