• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 8 vs Trinity Christian Trolls 7pm CST 11/27/2019 ARC - ESPN3

Started by talksalot, November 26, 2019, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

the "Lick our wounds and allow any multi-game suspensions to happen in mid-season" game.

Looking back over the past 34 years... in the 8th game of the year, this has been an achilles game for us.  Our record is 15-18; one of only a handful where we do not have a winning record, however, we've had recent success in game#8... wins over UC Riverside, Utah State, Rhode Island in the last three years.

The Trolls have already played 10 games...and play Tuesday night before we see them on Wednesday.

SAT OCT 26, vs Wright State-Lake Campus Final W 95-73
SAT 02 vs Evangel  Final W, 88-85
WED 06 at St. Ambrose Final L, 79-59
FRI 08 vs Cornerstone Final L, 78-69
SAT 09 vs Lawrence Tech Final L, 79-76
WED 13 vs Saint Xavier Final L, 67-53
THU 14 at Moody Bible Final W, 89-64
SAT 16 vs St. Francis Final L, 75-57
WED 20 at Calumet Final L, 71-56
THU 21 at Crown College Final W, 105-86
SAT 23 at Central Michigan Final L, 106-60
TUE 26 vs Indiana South Bend   7:30 PM 

We played them 2 years ago, 83-46 in the second game of the season.
We played them 3 years ago, 89-75 in the second game of the season.
We played them 4 years ago, 89-42, in the 5th game of the season

They have two Indiana Resident Students on their team... Jared Jonkman  JR, 6-4 Fwd from Gary and Collin Flipse, SO 6-2 Guard from St. John; both attended Illiana Christian High School.  They have 22 players on their roster, 18 of them have at least 1 minute of game time.

James Pennington 13.0 ppg SOPH 6-3
John Shannon 10.9 ppg SR 6-1 put 14 on Central Michigan
Deantre DeYoung 10.6 ppg  SR  6-1 put 17 on Central Michigan

They are somewhat vertically challenged... The tallest team they can put on the court:

6-7 Freshman Harris - has not played
6-6 Senior TenDolle 1.2 ppg
6-6 Junior Decker 10.4 ppg started in 8 games
6-5 Junior Keys 1.5 ppg
6-5 Freshman Overway 8.9 ppg started in 5 games

CMU Outrebounded them 52-31, including 17 offensive rebounds.... and CMU only shot 4-23 from 3pt range!.. 18-24 from the line.

EddieCabot

Quote from: talksalot on November 26, 2019, 11:02:53 AM
We played them 2 years ago, 83-46 in the second game of the season.
We played them 3 years ago, 89-75 in the second game of the season.
We played them 4 years ago, 89-42, in the 5th game of the season

Turning into quite a rivalry ....

talksalot

Well... slap my hand...

I neglected the obvious... the Coaching Staff at Trinity Christian..."Where in the world is/was..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fZAtwO6Q_I

He graduated in May '03... where has the time gone???

SanityLost17

Load Management.  Subs early and often.  Get the bench lots of playing time so we can see some of them in action.   Specifically, I want Sackey/JFL to play about 7 minutes per half. 

NativeCheesehead

This would be the game to seriously discount tickets prices.

I paused my season tickets this year since I'm out of town for pretty much all of January. Not paying the same to see the Trolls as I am an MVC game. Cmon guys.

vuny98

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 26, 2019, 01:47:40 PMLoad Management.  Subs early and often.  Get the bench lots of playing time so we can see some of them in action.   Specifically, I want Sackey/JFL to play about 7 minutes per half.

Seriously need to make sure JFL gets some rest. He needs it after having to carry the team thus far through the year.

valpo64

There is nothing like playing a "J V" game before our next varsity game.     :)

VUBBFan

I take it, this will be Mikeek's second and final suspension game?

bbtds

Wow! Fan of the game. I'm impressed. Could you give the guy on the mic some lessons?

EddieCabot

Dominating performance!  The TV announcers can't stop talking about the great play by the Crusader players.  I think this is a great way to enter the holiday break and could be a good sign for the upcoming games.

bbtds

When you have less than 6 points for the walk-ons in the over/under thank God the coach waves off the offense. That is the true Morrill of the story.

govalpogo

Trinity really hit some nice mid range shots, they were game but just didn't have the horses.  Valpo did what they needed to do, not thrilled with some of the defense though.  Good performances from Clay, Krikke, Lorange,...and Morrill too!  5-3 takes the cake for November.  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

crusader05

Play was a little sloppy at times but that also was due to probably a combination of the youth on the floor and that they were in the Islands 48 hours ago

JD24

Nice to see Lorange hit a couple from deep. He'd be a big help if he can get some playing time because I don't think this roster is going to hit consistently from 3 by any means and there are a few I'd prefer not take many 3's at all such as Sackey other than just to show they'll take it if left alone.

VUBBFan

Quote from: bbtds on November 27, 2019, 08:09:52 PMWow! Fan of the game. I'm impressed. Could you give the guy on the mic some lessons?

Thanks. Sparse attendance tonight, so not too many people to choose from

wh

Impressively, our freshmen foursome scored 50 points in 87 min. collectively:
• Krikke 18 in 24
• Clay 16 in 25
• Lorange 11 in 22
• Freese-Vilien 5 in 17

The last time we had a freshman fearsome foursome was 2013-14, comprised of Alec Peters, Jubril Adekoya, Lexis Williams and Clay Yeo.  Just for the fun of it, I took a look at the box score for a similar overmatched opponent, North Park, to see how they fared as a group.

From the North Park game on 11/10/13, which Valpo won in a blowout 113-50:
• Yeo 15 in 22
• Adekoya 11 in 15
• Peters 9 in 20
• Williams 6 in 22
Collectively 41 points in 79 minutes

Before someone goes all myopic on me, obviously this isn't an apples to apple comparison, nor is it intended to be. I'm simply drawing a broad favorable early season comparison to a former impressive 4-player recruiting class that left their mark on Valpo basketball, and I like what I see.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on November 28, 2019, 10:19:26 AM
Impressively, our freshmen foursome scored 50 points in 87 min. collectively:
• Krikke 18 in 24
• Clay 16 in 25
• Lorange 11 in 22
• Freese-Vilien 5 in 17

The last time we had a freshman fearsome foursome was 2013-14, comprised of Alec Peters, Jubril Adekoya, Lexis Williams and Clay Yeo.  Just for the fun of it, I took a look at the box score for a similar overmatched opponent, North Park, to see how they fared as a group.

From the North Park game on 11/10/13, which Valpo won in a blowout 113-50:
• Yeo 15 in 22
• Adekoya 11 in 15
• Peters 9 in 20
• Williams 6 in 22
Collectively 41 points in 79 minutes

Before someone goes all myopic on me, obviously this isn't an apples to apple comparison, nor is it intended to be. I'm simply drawing a broad favorable early season comparison to a former impressive 4-player recruiting class that left their mark on Valpo basketball, and I like what I see.

Thanks for putting in the time!  Cool comparison data.

valpopal

I notice the attendance was about 1800, the lowest of the season, as expected, and I have to wonder if there was any targeted effort to specifically promote this game to local schools and youth organizations, perhaps by offering free passes for general admission to a weeknight game that families could attend without having to get up for work or school the next day. It could have been billed as an appreciation by Valparaiso University to the community on Thanksgiving, surely a fine public relations gesture.

Since the upper level was basically empty, those seats were not going to be sold anyway, plus many might bring family members who would pay admission, and all would want food and drink at the concession stands, so there is a positive economic point. The same kind of thing occurs when school pep bands are invited to play or youth groups participate in halftime activities.

In addition, the game was a guarantee win for Valpo with most likely a high score and a number of dunks. That is the kind of exciting play that could encourage support for the team and enthusiasm for return visits to the ARC. Moreover, this would have increased the audience for advertising the celebration honoring someone very popular in the community, Homer Drew, at the next game, a Sunday afternoon contest suitable for attendance by families as well.

Just wondering... 

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

hard to promote this.. Valpo high is going to the state finals on Friday.  they are appropriately getting all of the media coverage.  looking forward to the coverage for the next home game for Homer Drew day.

both of the local players, didn't dress. 

NativeCheesehead

If I recall, our AD has said he doesn't believe in giving away tickets. I think this was brought up a couple years ago.

valpopal

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 28, 2019, 01:37:44 PM
If I recall, our AD has said he doesn't believe in giving away tickets. I think this was brought up a couple years ago.

If he doesn't believe this, maybe it is one of the things that has to change and a new approach attempted, as I mentioned below. I don't believe all those empty seats benefit anyone.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on November 28, 2019, 08:06:19 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 28, 2019, 01:37:44 PM

If he doesn't believe this, maybe it is one of the things that has to change and a new approach attempted, as I mentioned below. I don't believe all those empty seats benefit anyone.

Well, the people who clean up the stands.  :)