• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UCLA and USC to the Big Ten

Started by vu84v2, July 01, 2022, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

My guess is that this will create a whole series of ripple effects, most of which will involve programs in the west. Opinions initially seem to be centered around Oregon and Washington, but I think that Arizona State and Colorado will also be very likely to move since they are both associated with major markets.

You could see a new Pac-12 comprised of the remaining teams (Arizona, Stanford, Cal, Utah, Oregon State, Washington State), the MWC (with a few teams not invited), and (for basketball) Gonzaga.

The Pac-12 is quickly becoming the "Conference of departed Champions" (sorry usc4valpo)

usc4valpo

I wonder how Bill Walton is taking this being the great embassador of the Conference of Champions.

It's sad to see this, but the Pac 12 can only blame themselves.  Scott was a terrible commissioner and led the Pac 12 down the tube toward irrelevance for revenue sports. Even with a new commissioner, it would take a lot of insight and time to repair the PAC 12 bring it back to relevance. USC and  UCLA had no choice but go to the super conference.

This realignment is far from over. There are rumors about Notre Dame going to the Big 10, but I doubt it - ND has its own cash pot o' gold from NBC. However, I see Duckzilla, UDub, Cal and the Farm joining the Big 10. Oregon has great athletics and Nike. UDub has Seatown. Cal has great academics and the Bay. Stanford has first class academics, entertain8ng marching band and knows had to beat Iowa in the Rose Bowl.

Obviously, this is all about money, and the student-athlete term is officially an oxymoron.I blame a lot of this to the ineptness and ignorance of the NCAA.

vu84v2

I definitely see Washington moving, though I believe it could be either the Big 12 or Big 10. Oregon? Probably, especially with the Nike ties - though remoteness might be an issue. Arizona State and Stanford will probably be targets because of big markets. I see Cal getting left out (versus Stanford).

usc4valpo

So now I ask - how dose the migration of the men and women of Troy effect Valpo and the beloved Valley conference?

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 03, 2022, 09:10:00 PMSo now I ask - how dose the migration of the men and women of Troy effect Valpo and the beloved Valley conference?
When USC and UCLA come in to play Indiana and Purdue it isn't that long of a drive to see them?

crusadermoe

The MVC saw its stars escape already with the double jumps upward by Butler and then Loyola. 

The other MVC schools are solid.  I don't see any schools in the MVC bringing a high impact money deal to any other conference that occasionally (though rarely) gets two bids. Those two seem to be exceptions.  They won't dominate or even be frequent champs in their new conferences, but they made smart moves.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 04, 2022, 03:56:15 PM
The MVC saw its stars escape already with the double jumps upward by Butler and then Loyola. 

The other MVC schools are solid.  I don't see any schools in the MVC bringing a high impact money deal to any other conference that occasionally (though rarely) gets two bids. Those two seem to be exceptions.  They won't dominate or even be frequent champs in their new conferences, but they made smart moves.

I think you may be thinking of Creighton rather than Butler, unless you are remembering them leaving the conference in 1934!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Quote from: vu72 on July 04, 2022, 05:38:00 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on July 04, 2022, 03:56:15 PM

I think you may be thinking of Creighton rather than Butler, unless you are remembering them leaving the conference in 1934!

And Creighton will likely be one of the 10 best teams in the nation in 2022-2023.

RiderJake

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 04, 2022, 03:56:15 PMThe MVC saw its stars escape already with the double jumps upward by Butler and then Loyola.  The other MVC schools are solid.  I don't see any schools in the MVC bringing a high impact money deal to any other conference that occasionally (though rarely) gets two bids. Those two seem to be exceptions.  They won't dominate or even be frequent champs in their new conferences, but they made smart moves.

There are no high-money deals because it's unprofitable in most cases.

usc4valpo

Too bad USC is currently not in the Big 10 West, if so we might see a competitive Big 10 Championship game!

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 26, 2022, 10:34:58 PM
Too bad USC is currently not in the Big 10 West, if so we might see a competitive Big 10 Championship game!

Talk about patience being the key.

I have a feeling USC wouldn't have faired any better than Michigan though, this past championship season.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann