• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Michigan cheating scandal

Started by wh, October 26, 2023, 07:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

The Michigan sign stealing scandal has broken wide open. Apparently, an investigative story was just published by the Washington Post that will bring Michigan football to its knees. Could be the biggest cheating scandal in the history of college fb. Multiple coaches and offensive and defensive coordinators involved and that Harbaugh had to know about. There is speculation that they might not finish out the season or at a minimum be declared ineligible for the college fb playoffs.

NCAA probe began after firm obtained evidence from Michigan computers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/25/michigan-computers-sign-stealing-evidence/

JD24

Two things about this that I don't understand:

1. Apparently this is against the rules. Why is it against the rules?

2. This would seem to be pretty much SOP for most teams.

The OMG factor in this is laughable.

wh

I probably don't know much more than you do. I'm sure it will come out in due time.

JD24

Based on the latest "Breaking" news on Michigan...it appears that it is illegal to scout a team in person. I wonder if I actually heard that correctly. If so my question is simply this:

How effin' stupid is the NCAA? Wait....we don't have enough time for an answer to that one.

wh

The breaking news I'm most interested in:
• FBI forensic examiners have been on campus for the past several days combing through athletic department computer system, coaching staff cell phones, etc. along with NCAA examiners.
• Allegedly, Michigan illegally hacked Ohio State's athletic dept. website and stole over 40 hours of practice film, which numerous MI coaches have watched. So, we're talking about cyber crime.
• At the end of last season MI allegedly gave Tennessee's and Clemson's decoded  signals to South Carolina, after which SC beat both teams as big underdogs and knocked them out of playoff contention. Against Tennessee SC defensive players wore wrist bands for the only time last year. A closeup of 1 player's band shows play call signals.

There's a lot more out there than this for curious minds. It isn't hard to find.

JD24

All of those would be a problem for sure.

Still doesn't answer the question as to why it's against the rules to scout a team in person. Peewee football teams do that.

JD24

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2023, 11:49:53 AMThe breaking news I'm most interested in: • FBI forensic examiners have been on campus for the past several days combing through athletic department computer system, coaching staff cell phones, etc. along with NCAA examiners. • Allegedly, Michigan illegally hacked Ohio State's athletic dept. website and stole over 40 hours of practice film, which numerous MI coaches have watched. So, we're talking about cyber crime. • At the end of last season MI allegedly gave Tennessee's and Clemson's decoded  signals to South Carolina, after which SC beat both teams as big underdogs and knocked them out of playoff contention. Against Tennessee SC defensive players wore wrist bands for the only time last year. A closeup of 1 player's band shows play call signals. There's a lot more out there than this for curious minds. It isn't hard to find.
What you post here may be true but this is not out there in most reporting. It appears to be limited to message boards and blogs associated with UM and at least in one of the claims above required a couple of leaps to get there.

But...as I said...it may all ultimately be accurate.

wh

Try the Detroit Free Press and ESPN. Let me know if you see a notable difference. Beyond that I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I have no axe to grind against Michigan football one way or the other. That said I do have a problem with scummy people who lie, cheat or steal their way through life, but that's another story.

wh

Michigan becomes college football villain as cheating scandal rocks sport
By Zach Braziller

Published Oct. 29, 2023, 1:43 p.m. ET

https://nypost.com/2023/10/29/sports/michigan-becomes-college-football-villain-with-cheating-scandal/amp/

wh

WSJ: Michigan football 'rescinded a new contract offer' for Jim Harbaugh
Isaiah Hole
Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 6:42 PM CDT·2 min read

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/29/wsj-michigan-football-rescinded-a-new-contract-offer-for-jim-harbaugh/

JD24

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2023, 04:11:14 PMTry the Detroit Free Press and ESPN. Let me know if you see a notable difference. Beyond that I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I have no axe to grind against Michigan football one way or the other. That said I do have a problem with scummy people who lie, cheat or steal their way through life, but that's another story.
At the time I posted, I had checked both outlets and neither had the detail you provided interest in. However, you seem far more invested in the issue than I am so maybe I'm wrong. You also may be located in an area of the country where this is a bigger story than it is near where I live although it is a big one nationally.

That said, there have been some other issues which have come up over the last week which are certainly concerning but the one I laugh about it is the other conference coaches collectively saying that Michigan should be disciplined...all anonymously. Put your name on it if you want it or is Ryan Day so concerned about what Lou Holtz may have said last week that he can't comment on the UM situation right now.

The conference is not going to discipline UM unless they fall out of the current playoff race. They won't jeopardize the conference having a representative in the CFB playoff. The NCAA will take care of this situation at some point...likely when Harbaugh is being fired from his position as headcoach of the Bears or some other NFL team.

crusadermoe

Breaking news:  Ohio State and  Rutgers fed stolen signs to Purdue prior to their 2022 Big Ten Championship game. 

We will see some blood on the field in Ann Arbor when they host the Buckeyes. My bet is on the Wolverines.

wh

SG

Agree. It is like arresting a man in Texas for NOT carrying his gun to church. Old and outdated laws can be shocking stupid, and I guess the NCAA has the same issue.