• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on May 18, 2018, 07:13:42 PM
https://twitter.com/EronGordon1/status/997614958073565184

I know I said that I'd rather see us go after a 4, but none of that matters now. Eron's ours now and I couldn't be happier. Great pick-up!

justducky

Unlike some of our other recent picks Eron should give us a solid, low risk return on our 6 semester scholarship investment.

:thumbsup:  Sitting on those three scholarships was starting to make me sweat. Who will be next? If our goal is now shifting toward 19-20 then another redshirt transfer might not be the worst idea but I say that remembering we started 16-17 with 11 players and ended that season starting a walk on.  :o

vufan75

Looks like Eron was a 3* recruit out of high school in 2016 per Rivals and ESPN. Solid pickup. Should do well in MVC. Was #6 ranked Indiana high school recruit in 2016. Great family and pedigree!

I like valpopal's idea of shooting for Dion Wiley from Maryland also. Talented if healthy and if he fits Valpo culture. 
Quote from: VU2014 on May 18, 2018, 08:21:30 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on May 18, 2018, 07:13:42 PM
https://twitter.com/EronGordon1/status/997614958073565184

Welcome to Valparaiso Eron! Excited for his future!

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/997632492688629760

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on May 18, 2018, 08:45:41 PM
Unlike some of our other recent picks Eron should give us a solid, low risk return on our 6 semester scholarship investment.

:thumbsup:  Sitting on those three scholarships was starting to make me sweat. Who will be next? If our goal is now shifting toward 19-20 then another redshirt transfer might not be the worst idea but I say that remembering we started 16-17 with 11 players and ended that season starting a walk on.  :o

If Langston (Gary walk-on) is who we have to give minutes I can think of worse players!

Practice should be intense at the guard position:
PG = Sackey, Bradford or Evelyn
SG = Evelyn, Freeman-Liberty, Gordon and Langston

But what a departure from length.  Not a single guy is 6'4" right?  And if basketball fishtales are to be true, a listed 6'3" is surely no guarantee they are even 6'1".  I suppose Hammink and E. Victor were our only rangy guards there for a while.  Maybe if we fill in a SF/PF with another recruit that's eligible then 6'6" Golder can cross over...

vu72

Not sure what is/was going on with Eron, and certainly hope he is a valued part of Valpo basketball.  Still, there are questions.  Why did he get these offers and not turn into a star?  System? coaching? something else?  Let's hope for the best!  Welcome Eron!!

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/162491/eron-gordon
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

So, what's next? Are we still in on Hartfield? Grad transfer like Wiley? Do we go after a 4 like Nze Faulds or Pettway? I hope Hartfield or Wiley is at the top of this list.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on May 18, 2018, 09:05:29 PM
Not sure what is/was going on with Eron, and certainly hope he is a valued part of Valpo basketball.  Still, there are questions.  Why did he get these offers and not turn into a star?  System? coaching? something else?  Let's hope for the best!  Welcome Eron!!

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/162491/eron-gordon

Is it safe to say NO MORE GUARDS with the final 2 scholarships? 5 available guards so maybe we could handle one more, presuming we run a three guard offense more than not.  We had to last year because the PF position was decimated by youth and foul trouble.  But are we going to run Golder at the 4 more routinely when Fazekas is out? McMillan is still a wild card, he has to prove that he's not a linebacker trying to play basketball during screens...

5'9" Sackey
6'2" Bradford
6'2" Evelyn
6'3" Freeman-Liberty
6'4" Langston (walk-on)
**(Practice Only)**
6'3" Gordon

6'5" Kiser
6'6" Golder
6'8" Fazekas
6'8" McMillan

7'0" Sorolla
7'2" Smits

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 19, 2018, 11:19:23 AM

Is it safe to say NO MORE GUARDS with the final 2 scholarships? 5 available guards so maybe we could handle one more, presuming we run a three guard offense more than not.  We had to last year because the PF position was decimated by youth and foul trouble.  But are we going to run Golder at the 4 more routinely when Fazekas is out? McMillan is still a wild card, he has to prove that he's not a linebacker trying to play basketball during screens...

5'9" Sackey
6'2" Bradford
6'2" Evelyn
6'3" Freeman-Liberty
6'4" Langston (walk-on)
**(Practice Only)**
6'3" Gordon

6'5" Kiser
6'6" Golder
6'8" Fazekas
6'8" McMillan

7'0" Sorolla
7'2" Smits

I could see us adding a grad-transfer guard if the right one came around. I'm not sure how likely it is though.

Interesting quote from Paul's article: "We're going to get the right pieces, whatever that is," Lottich said. "We're going to bring people that fit into what we've got. We like the pieces that are in the program right now. We like the commitment from every single person right now. We're committed to that. If it's someone that has to sit out, someone that's immediately eligible; holding a scholarship, we're going to be patient."

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 19, 2018, 11:19:23 AM

5'9" Sackey
6'2" Bradford
6'2" Evelyn
6'3" Freeman-Liberty
6'4" Langston (walk-on)
**(Practice Only)**
6'3" Gordon

6'5" Kiser
6'6" Golder
6'8" Fazekas
6'8" McMillan

7'0" Sorolla
7'2" Smits

More specifically, to offset our 5's we need athletic 4's that can get jump higher than 6", and are physical and aggressive around the hoop at both ends. That's code for no more white "finesse" front court players -  please!

Finesse (verb)
1. do (something) in a subtle and delicate manner.

JD24

Quote from: wh on May 19, 2018, 11:55:43 AMMore specifically, to offset our 5's we need athletic 4's that can get jump higher than 6", and are physical and aggressive around the hoop at both ends. That's code for no more white "finesse" front court players -  please! Finesse (verb) 1. do (something) in a subtle and delicate manner.
Actually it is code for something else.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on May 19, 2018, 09:27:56 PM
Quote from: wh on May 19, 2018, 11:55:43 AMMore specifically, to offset our 5's we need athletic 4's that can get jump higher than 6", and are physical and aggressive around the hoop at both ends. That's code for no more white "finesse" front court players -  please! Finesse (verb) 1. do (something) in a subtle and delicate manner.

You're like someone with a dirty mind who takes an innocent comment and turns it into a dirty joke. This is a basketball thread, not a sociology class. Not every comment is a dog whistle. Lighten up.

JD24

Quote from: wh on May 19, 2018, 10:25:37 PM
You're like someone with a dirty mind who takes an innocent comment and turns it into a dirty joke. This is a basketball thread, not a sociology class. Not every comment is a dog whistle. Lighten up.
Wear the comment. You made it. Thus anyone can read into it what they wish. Phrasing reveals a lot.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on May 19, 2018, 11:55:43 AMThat's code for no more white "finesse" front court players -  please!

I agree, but I'd also say no more "finesse" front players ... white or non-white.  Not sure why race matters.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on May 20, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
Quote from: wh on May 19, 2018, 10:25:37 PM
Wear the comment. You made it. Thus anyone can read into it what they wish. Phrasing reveals a lot.

I explained what I meant, and you continue to mischaracterize it. That's what a useless jerk does. Wear that.

VULB#62

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 20, 2018, 06:17:27 PM
Quote from: wh on May 19, 2018, 11:55:43 AMThat's code for no more white "finesse" front court players -  please!

I agree, but I'd also say no more "finesse" front players ... white or non-white.  Not sure why race matters.

I too agree on finesse players. Why was race even a factor?  Unfortunately, alluding to "code" exaserbated  the  situation.

My vote: this was inapprpriately stated but with no malice. Let's let the controversial part die and just go with the message — no more finesse players.

VUGrad1314

Would that mean Nze and Faulds are potential targets?

bbtds

Purple, Green, Red, Orange (no political insinuation meant), Gray, it doesn't matter as long as Valpo wins.

VUGrad1314

My question was meant as something of a thread reset. Those are two prominent somewhat  local transfers who judging by their FG% know how to score in the paint. Each one does come with a bit of a caveat though: given that they come from the Horizon League and Ivy League respectively they likely haven't faced the level of frontcourt player they'll encounter in the MVC. I think they have the talent to adjust but it is a concern.

VUGrad1314

Any significant Valpo related updates on this front? Hartfield? Nze? Faulds? Wiley? Someone else? Getting just a wee bit starved for news again.

VUGrad1314

I can't believe the player I thought was the prize of the three Milwaukee transfers especially given our needs is the last one still available. Even more surprising is the lack of reported interest by Valpo. Same with Faulds but that one is a bit more believable since he looks like he'd be more of a 5 which would leave him behind Smits and Sorolla for minutes which probably isn't what he wants after sitting out a year.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 22, 2018, 01:31:28 PM
I can't believe the player I thought was the prize of the three Milwaukee transfers especially given our needs is the last one still available. Even more surprising is the lack of reported interest by Valpo. Same with Faulds but that one is a bit more believable since he looks like he'd be more of a 5 which would leave him behind Smits and Sorolla for minutes which probably isn't what he wants after sitting out a year.

To be honest Nze's game doesn't knock my socks off. He's an old school post player and not the most versatile. He's not a bad player but he's not someone that's an obvious add, imo. He's a good player but he might not be the type of player they're looking for.

Pros: Good footwork around the basket, has a nose for finding rebounds, good reach, he's a good finisher around the rim
Cons: not the most athletic, horrendous free throw shooter, not a 3pt shooter.

I haven't seen him enough to judge him on his passing or ball handling abilities.

FieldGoodie05

Have to ask, why is "Boone Grove mourning" per PAUL Oren tweet from this weekend.  Know this is not the right place but maybe someone here might know.  Did a player or coach die?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 22, 2018, 04:24:41 PM
Have to ask, why is "Boone Grove mourning" per PAUL Oren tweet from this weekend.  Know this is not the right place but maybe someone here might know.  Did a player or coach die?