• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 22, 2018, 05:08:46 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 22, 2018, 04:24:41 PM
Have to ask, why is "Boone Grove mourning" per PAUL Oren tweet from this weekend.  Know this is not the right place but maybe someone here might know.  Did a player or coach die?

?

humbleopinion

No deaths at Boone Grove.   What was the full context?
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

Have to ask, why is "Boone Grove mourning" per PAUL Oren tweet from this weekend.  Know this is not the right place but maybe someone here might know.  Did a player or coach die?

I heard in a coffee shop conversation that a father of a player died in a mowing accident.

VU2014

Oh my bad. I thought you were referring to this tweet

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/999048159518232576

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 22, 2018, 12:51:31 PM
Any significant Valpo related updates on this front? Hartfield? Nze? Faulds? Wiley? Someone else? Getting just a wee bit starved for news again.

Hartfield? He already took his visit. Haven't heard anything since.

Nze? Haven't heard if we're interested.

Faulds? Haven't heard if we're interested.

Wiley? Definitely a interesting grad-transfer but haven't heard us linked to him.

valpo64

As  always our staff keeps their cards close to the vest....it drives me nuts but i sure understand and can't blame them...but.......:)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on May 22, 2018, 05:23:54 PM

I heard in a coffee shop conversation that a father of a player died in a mowing accident.

Thank you for sharing, I was unable to find any info online and I'm not a tweeter.  It stands to reason that it was a friend or family member since there was no published story.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 22, 2018, 06:27:21 PM

Thank you for sharing, I was unable to find any info online and I'm not a tweeter.  It stands to reason that it was a friend or family member since there was no published story.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/state-news/nw-indiana-man-found-dead-beneath-overturned-lawn-mower

bbtds

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/softball/prep-softball-boone-grove-family-shows-support-after-tragedy/article_3c69efca-4290-56b8-9402-e2616fe5b8de.amp.html

VUGrad1314

Is this perhaps our answer at the 4? Lance Thomas is transferring from Louisville. He'd be a sit 1 play 3. He averaged just 2.2PPG but was rated a 4 star by Scout and ESPN. Very highly touted coming out of High school.

VU2014

We'll need to get that Adidas money to land Lance Thomas  ;)

VUGrad1314

Do you see another P5 school taking a shot at him? He got a ton of high major offers

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 23, 2018, 09:33:14 AMIs this perhaps our answer at the 4? Lance Thomas is transferring from Louisville. He'd be a sit 1 play 3. He averaged just 2.2PPG but was rated a 4 star by Scout and ESPN. Very highly touted coming out of High school.
Should have E Victor talk to him. I think they were from the same High School.
Probably a hail Mary but what the heck.

VUGrad1314

It probably is a bit of a  long shot but I would nevertheless be disappointed if  we don't at least try. At this late juncture I can't imagine too many programs can offer the same combination of available playing time winning tradition future upside and quality competition that Valpo can while still having a scholarship available to give him. I wonder how many P5/BE programs will be interested considering that things didn't work out at Louisville and he's not a rim protector. I could see him fitting in quite well on a roster at the AAC or MVC MWC A10 level.

VUBBFan

The guy I'd like to see transfer is Jaron Faulds from Columbia. He's originally from Michigan and was attending a high quality University. Valpo would be closer to his home town and would still be attending a quality school. Have no idea what he's looking for, but would love to have a 6'10" PF 3.5 star player on our roster.
Well it's just another wish list from me. I sometimes live in a dream land and not reality.

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 23, 2018, 10:14:11 PMWell it's just another wish list from me. I sometimes live in a dream land and not reality.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 23, 2018, 06:11:52 PM
It probably is a bit of a  long shot but I would nevertheless be disappointed if  we don't at least try. At this late juncture I can't imagine too many programs can offer the same combination of available playing time winning tradition future upside and quality competition that Valpo can while still having a scholarship available to give him. I wonder how many P5/BE programs will be interested considering that things didn't work out at Louisville and he's not a rim protector. I could see him fitting in quite well on a roster at the AAC or MVC MWC A10 level.

Not every major program would avoid going after him because he isn't a rim protector, but even with his minimal sample size of playing time last year his block percentage is pretty good for someone who would likely play the 4 most of the time.  He's at least pulled the trigger from 3 this past year and been efficient in his garbage time minutes as a freshman, so he could be desirable from that prospective.  Really just depends on a team's need for his skillset and whether or not both sides feels like it's a good fit, and that's pretty much universal in the transfer market.

What I will say is that for him to decide to move on considering Louisville's lack of depth at the 4 (There is less competition there than at Valpo currently for PT at that spot), tells me there's something else there that a coaching staff, whether it's Valpo or anyone else's is going to have to get comfortable with before deciding to bring him into the locker room.  Could be any number of things or just that he really doesn't feel like he fits in with the new staff at Louisville, but it does seem at least a little odd.

VUGrad1314

Nze to Butler. Reunites with LaVall Jordan.

https://twitter.com/NoahOsen/status/1001998263015395328

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 30, 2018, 11:21:44 PM
Nze to Butler. Reunites with LaVall Jordan.

https://twitter.com/NoahOsen/status/1001998263015395328

Was Nze so good to land P6 and get minutes? 

VUGrad1314

This one's honestly a little surprising to me. I don't know what Butler's depth chart looks like at PF but I doubt he would go anywhere without the likelihood of significant minutes.

VUGrad1314

Not that anyone expected that Valpo would have any shot at him but here's a Lance Thomas update

https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/status/1002273555000807424

IrishDawg

My initial thought on Nze is that it seemed like a bit of a reach, but upon further review, I think he'll be a good fit.  Butler's power forward position right now has a true freshman (Bryce Golden - 6'9, 220) and a bunch of wings around 6'6 or 6'7 who can play the position, but aren't necessarily ideal for it. 

Nze, based on his block rate definitely has the athleticism to compete at a high level, and he rebounds at a high rate as well on both ends of the floor.  Concerns have to be his free throw percentage and free throw shooting rate.  He didn't play well against high major competition, but 6 and 7 games the last 2 years isn't a large sample size. Plus Jordan and Lowery know him better than most and felt comfortable bringing him in, and he'll have a year to improve and practice against the starters this year.  At worst, I think he can be a solid backup, and at best, he could fill the role that Tyler Wideman had at Butler.

VUBBFan

Another transfer I like, that might fit us is PF Callum Kimberley of Idaho State. He's from Australia and looks like a strong defender and rebounder that can shoot. He may not be exceptionally fast but seems to be quick, crashes the boards and moves very well. Didn't play because of injury ( don't know what or how severe ) last year. Besides we need to keep up our international roster lol.

VUGrad1314

Grad transfer  Ehab Amin who previously committed to Nevada has reopened his recruitment. Excellent defender who averaged 16.9PPG for Texas A&M Corpus Christi.