• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 01, 2018, 09:57:53 PM
Grad transfer  Ehab Amin who previously committed to Nevada has reopened his recruitment. Excellent defender who averaged 16.9PPG for Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

Victim of over recruiting.  Once their 3 guys who declared for the draft decided to return, Nevada was at 15 scholarship players.  He's the first to be discarded with one more on the way.  Nevada fans are thrilled, but this type of crap will (or should) come back to bite them in future recruiting.

Something fishy is going on there.  Anytime a mediocre program starts landing 4 and 5 star recruits, you have to wonder what's going on.

VUGrad1314

You don't think it's because of Musselman's NBA experience and personality? I mean except for struggling a bit in the NBA coaching some less than stellar teams he's won everywhere he's been.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 01, 2018, 11:27:16 PM
You don't think it's because of Musselman's NBA experience and personality? I mean except for struggling a bit in the NBA coaching some less than stellar teams he's won everywhere he's been.

I'd have to agree.

valpo64

Were not some of his previous college jobs under scrutiny for problems of one kind or another?   Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

VUGrad1314

Wiley to SLU. Another seemingly solid possibly attainable option by the boards. The players we get with these remaining scholarships had better be amazing. At this point let's just get Hartfield and Faulds and call it an offseason.

ValpoDad89

I am hearing a lot of early MVC interest in recent transferring DePaul PG Justin Roberts. Valpo, Ill. State, Drake, Loyola, Mo State and Ball State seem to be showing some early interest. Former 4 Star recruit out of Indy via Findlay Prep in Nevada.

He would be a Redshirt Sophmore when Evelyn and Bradford are Seniors.

VUGrad1314

I'd be pretty darn surprised if Loyola didn't get him and really surprised if we did.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 06, 2018, 01:00:07 PM
I'd be pretty darn surprised if Loyola didn't get him and really surprised if we did.

You could be right, but I don't think so.  I would hate to think that 1 down year completely destroyed our image as one of the top mid-major programs in the nation. Tarnished some - yes, erased - no.  Conversely, I'm not sure 1 great year by Loyola completely eradicates a decades-long image of mediocrity.  Our prize freshman recruits and our newest transfer compare favorably to anyone else in the league.  Good players are still attracted to Valpo - and they should be.  This program has a sustained history of winning championships in a multitude of situations, going to the NCAA and NIT, and placing numerous players in pro leagues world-wide, including the NBA. As to the kid you're referring to, he could well end up at Loyola, but whatever the case I highly doubt it's a situation where Loyola is the obvious choice because of who they've become, and Valpo is left to pick up the scraps Loyola leaves behind because of who we've become. Put another way, 1 year does not a Wichita State make.     

VUGrad1314

Upon closer look I think we can cross Illinois State Missouri State and Drake off the list because I'm pretty sure they've used up all of their scholarships I think Loyola may also be out but I'm not positive.

ValpoDad89

Here's the thing, he's an Indy kid with one prep year exception. I don't think Loyola ever recruited him and Mullins and Valentine haven't plucked the Hoosier state of anyone while Valpo has its roots here and guys that have recruited here successfully. Not that means anything but it doesn't hurt Valpo.

While schools may be limited with scholarships one inevitably opens up if a player of need or want becomes available. It's the world of today's D1 basketball.

VUGrad1314

It may help that we've had success getting good talent from the Indy area recently with a ton of success  with BE transfers from Indiana. Maybe (hopefully) he's the next one. I just hope we'll have enough minutes for everyone  come 2019-2020. I do have to say that based on his numbers he struggled quite a bit in the Big East, but he was also just a freshman on a bad team and the competition won't be quite as fierce in the MVC but still really good. I think he can be a strong player in this conference.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278558/justin-roberts

justducky

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on June 06, 2018, 10:44:13 AMI am hearing a lot of early MVC interest in recent transferring DePaul PG Justin Roberts.

Do we really need two pint sized point guards that would be in the same graduating class? If he were 6'2' and could also play shooting guard then maybe we could think about it but I just don't see the need.

VUGrad1314

I don't think Lottich is using need as his primary concern. I think he's trying to stack talent until he comes up with the optimum mix of talent and depth. I think his goal is a Loyola like run right here in Valpo and the transfer market is a great vehicle to get there fast.

VU2014

Could we be interested in a D2 grad-transfer?

Landon Goesling
Year: 2014 (RS JR)
Position: SG
Height: 6-2
Weight: 175
Hometown: Irving, TX
High School: Coppell High School
Former teams: St. Edward's (2016-18), Appalachian State (2014-16)
Current offers: UTEP, Houston, UC Santa Barbara
http://verbalcommits.com/players/landon-goesling
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/982314110334521344

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdrP_WJF2E

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on June 08, 2018, 01:43:41 PM
Could we be interested in a D2 grad-transfer?

Landon Goesling
Year: 2014 (RS JR)
Position: SG
Height: 6-2
Weight: 175
Hometown: Irving, TX
High School: Coppell High School
Former teams: St. Edward's (2016-18), Appalachian State (2014-16)
Current offers: UTEP, Houston, UC Santa Barbara
http://verbalcommits.com/players/landon-goesling
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/982314110334521344

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdrP_WJF2E

Similar to Clay Yeo's Bethel numbers. The moral of the story is...

VU2014

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2018, 02:07:59 PM
Similar to Clay Yeo's Bethel numbers. The moral of the story is...

Yeo had a shot to be a productive D1 player and he wasn't bad his freshman year. Yeo's move down didn't have to do with lack of ability. He was homesick apparently. He was highly productive before the knee injuries at the D2 level. Even after the injuries he still wasn't a bad player.

crusadermoe

Yeah, he was homesick to make the 50 mile trip home more often I recall.     

Good riddance.    :crazy:

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on June 08, 2018, 01:43:41 PMCould we be interested in a D2 grad-transfer?

Goesling is interesting. Nothing about his offensive game suggests he would score big points in the MVC but I am not sure I care because he seems to do a little of everything. Can he defend the average MVC 2 guard or point? If so then we could find him some minutes.

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on June 08, 2018, 05:30:29 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on June 08, 2018, 01:43:41 PMCould we be interested in a D2 grad-transfer?

Goesling is interesting. Nothing about his offensive game suggests he would score big points in the MVC but I am not sure I care because he seems to do a little of everything. Can he defend the average MVC 2 guard or point? If so then we could find him some minutes.

Goesling has committed and signed with University of Houston.

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on June 08, 2018, 06:41:44 PMGoesling has committed and signed with University of Houston.
Well!   

Don't know exactly how to say this but if he wanted to go play for Kelvin Sampson then we might not have wanted him anyway.  ::)

wh

Quote from: valpopal on June 08, 2018, 06:41:44 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but after all this time waiting to see who the latest, greatest Crusader is going to be, the last thing I'm looking for is a career D-2 player. The goal is to return to glory, not fill vacancies for the sake of a full roster. Bring in a bell ringer, or stand pat. That's it.

Nothing personal. I hope the kid has a great year.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2018, 08:11:13 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but after all this time waiting to see who the latest, greatest Crusader is going to be, the last thing I'm looking for is a career D-2 player. The goal is to return to glory, not fill vacancies for the sake of a full roster. Bring in a bell ringer, or stand pat. That's it.

I'd take a legit rebounder/defender with length 6'7" or greater from any division.  But has to be immediately available.  Less worried about scoring polish because I think we need legitimacy at the PF position. 

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2018, 08:11:13 PM

Agree.  Valpo has moved well beyond the point where they should be considering a DII transfer.

M

Save one and give one to a lucky senior walk on.

vu72

Quote from: M on June 08, 2018, 11:01:35 PM
Save one and give one to a lucky senior walk on.
[/b]

A good point.  We will have an accomplished walk-on (Langston) with Helms also showing up at some point.  Remember that Kiser was a walk-on.  I think people forgot that Kiser was ranked by some services as a top 25 Indiana kid coming out of high school and has proved very valuable.  We have plenty of talent and just need to put it together.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015