• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on June 09, 2018, 06:30:54 AM
Quote from: M on June 08, 2018, 11:01:35 PM
Save one and give one to a lucky senior walk on.
[/b]

A good point.  We will have an accomplished walk-on (Langston) with Helms also showing up at some point.  Remember that Kiser was a walk-on.  I think people forgot that Kiser was ranked by some services as a top 25 Indiana kid coming out of high school and has proved very valuable.  We have plenty of talent and just need to put it together.

Langston has a full academic scholarship from what I've heard.  We don't need to dangle an athletic scholarship do we?

Helm is going to be a grandfather before we (might) see him next...

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 09, 2018, 08:13:50 AM
Quote from: vu72 on June 09, 2018, 06:30:54 AM
Quote from: M on June 08, 2018, 11:01:35 PM
Save one and give one to a lucky senior walk on.
[/b]

A good point.  We will have an accomplished walk-on (Langston) with Helms also showing up at some point.  Remember that Kiser was a walk-on.  I think people forgot that Kiser was ranked by some services as a top 25 Indiana kid coming out of high school and has proved very valuable.  We have plenty of talent and just need to put it together.

Langston has a full academic scholarship from what I've heard.  We don't need to dangle an athletic scholarship do we?

Helm is going to be a grandfather before we (might) see him next...

You're right on that and I believe Helm has a parent working at the University so at least a significant discount, maybe free.  Really great that we get two quality players for nothing.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

PO says Braun to San Diego

VUGrad1314

That's annoying. Had to be about playing time.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 11, 2018, 04:27:21 PM
That's annoying. Had to be about playing time.

Or the weather  ;)

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 10, 2018, 07:54:35 PM

Could you point me back to where Braun was discussed? I seem to have lost who this guy is in all the discussion of different possible recruits.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on June 12, 2018, 11:42:07 AM

Could you point me back to where Braun was discussed? I seem to have lost who this guy is in all the discussion of different possible recruits.

He was a red-shirt transfer from YSU. He was one of the better 2-way players in the horizon league last season. He came in for a visit at the same time as Brock Stull.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on June 12, 2018, 11:49:31 AM
Quote from: bbtds on June 12, 2018, 11:42:07 AM

He was a red-shirt transfer from YSU. He was one of the better 2-way players in the horizon league last season. He came in for a visit at the same time as Brock Stull.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

VUGrad1314

Any updates on Roberts or Faulds? Also, perhaps we can get in on this grad-transfer?

https://twitter.com/CollegeHoopNews/status/1008374122898972672

VUGrad1314

Found some footage on Faulds. Looks like a hard worker and has some range on his jump shot. He can handle the ball and looks pretty explosive. I'm fully on board and would like to see us add him.

https://twitter.com/CoachFaulds/status/1007816198724169728

VUGrad1314

Here's a guy we should consider as well. Sit 1 play 3 transfer who led the A10 in BPG as a freshman (2.2 BPG)

https://twitter.com/CollegeHoopNews/status/1008916663545233408

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 18, 2018, 06:03:20 PM
Any updates on Roberts or Faulds? Also, perhaps we can get in on this grad-transfer?

https://twitter.com/CollegeHoopNews/status/1008374122898972672

Interesting to hear he's visiting Minnesota who already landed a mid-major grad-transfer guard who was promised a role... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://twitter.com/Marcus_R_Fuller/status/1008514658096025601

VUGrad1314

Could we see Stull decommit to Minnesota and instead commit here? Can't see the Gophers making it works with two grad transfer SGs.

may know

Minnesota people say he's wanted to be a Gopher for a long time. They believe it's a done deal because a grad with no playing time just transferred out.

Stull, time to get out of Dodge.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 20, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
Could we see Stull decommit to Minnesota and instead commit here? Can't see the Gophers making it works with two grad transfer SGs.

He probably should, but he probably won't.

Escalation of commitment - a human behavior pattern in which an individual or group facing increasingly negative outcomes from some decision, action, or investment nevertheless continues the same behavior rather than alter course.

VUGrad1314

I'm not so sure about that. I think Stull was trying to find the best mix of high level team and playing time. Jeter being on staff helped but if the playing time goes away I would be surprised to see him stick around. Nobody who is used to being a leading scorer wants to spend his last year of eligibility riding the pine. Not even in the Big Ten.

VUGrad1314

Missouri State loses guard Mustafa Lawrence to transfer. He played very well for them down the stretch. This opens up a scholarship and playing time at PG. I remember reading that they were interested in Roberts (DePaul transfer). Perhaps this clears a path for him to Springfield.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on June 20, 2018, 05:47:31 PM

Escalation of commitment - a human behavior pattern in which an individual or group facing increasingly negative outcomes from some decision, action, or investment nevertheless continues the same behavior rather than alter course.

I've never heard of that one ...  I'm also guilty each year when I get my season ticket renewal letter.   :-[

bbtds

Quote from: may know on June 20, 2018, 05:44:44 PM
Minnesota people say he's wanted to be a Gopher for a long time. They believe it's a done deal because a grad with no playing time just transferred out.

Stull, time to get out of Dodge.

Stull is from Rockford, not Dodgeville, Wisconsin, Dodge City, Kansas or Dodgertown, FL. Time to get out of Milwaukee, that is for sure.
I heard Minneapolis can be magical in January/February.

VUGrad1314

He's already done that but Minneapolis may not prove to be a stable landing spot if the Gophers add Crandell too.  How would you feel as a grad transfer if the program you committed to goes out and adds another grad transfer at the same position? You'd have to wonder how truly committed they are to you  wouldn't you?

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 21, 2018, 11:47:17 PM
He's already done that but Minneapolis may not prove to be a stable landing spot if the Gophers add Crandell too.  How would you feel as a grad transfer if the program you committed to goes out and adds another grad transfer at the same position? You'd have to wonder how truly committed they are to you  wouldn't you?

I understood why Stull might feel uncomfortable after committing to play one year at Minnesota and they add another grad transfer at the same position with the knowledge that there is plenty of room on the bench. I figure Stull is still going to go out and try and win that spot even though Crandell was added too.

nkvu

Question.

Would Stull have known that Minnesota was still recruiting Crandall when he committed, or would this have been a surprise to him?  Larger picture, how open are schools with kids on who else they are recruiting that might compete for playing time?  If Stull knew Crandall could be added, but committed anyway then it seems unlikely he would reconsider his commitment. On the other hand if the school was telling him that he would fill their need at the position, then undercut that by recruiting someone else who was a legit competitor for minutes then maybe he would look elsewhere?

IrishDawg

Quote from: nkvu on June 22, 2018, 08:59:25 AM
Question.

Would Stull have known that Minnesota was still recruiting Crandall when he committed, or would this have been a surprise to him?  Larger picture, how open are schools with kids on who else they are recruiting that might compete for playing time?  If Stull knew Crandall could be added, but committed anyway then it seems unlikely he would reconsider his commitment. On the other hand if the school was telling him that he would fill their need at the position, then undercut that by recruiting someone else who was a legit competitor for minutes then maybe he would look elsewhere?

Given that Stull committed to Minnesota on May 16th and Crandall didn't announce he was transferring until June 11th, there's absolutely no way he knew anything.

However, Minnesota has 4 scholarship players for their 2 guard spots right now, and one is a 2-3 star local freshman, and they need a guy who can backup Isaiah Washington at the point.  Crandall's assist rate in his 3 years at North Dakota suggests that he can fill that role moreso than Stull, so while they may compete for some playing time at the 2, my guess is there is still plenty available between those 4 players considering McBrayer hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his 3 years at Minnesota.

There also could be minutes as a backup 3 if they decide to go smaller, and while there will definitely be more competition for minutes assuming Crandall commits to the Gophers, that also means he'll have an even better shot (on paper) at making the NCAA tournament, which he did state was a major factor in him wanting to transfer in the first place.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on June 22, 2018, 10:33:52 AM
Quote from: nkvu on June 22, 2018, 08:59:25 AM
Question.

Given that Stull committed to Minnesota on May 16th and Crandall didn't announce he was transferring until June 11th, there's absolutely no way he knew anything.

However, Minnesota has 4 scholarship players for their 2 guard spots right now, and one is a 2-3 star local freshman, and they need a guy who can backup Isaiah Washington at the point.  Crandall's assist rate in his 3 years at North Dakota suggests that he can fill that role moreso than Stull, so while they may compete for some playing time at the 2, my guess is there is still plenty available between those 4 players considering McBrayer hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his 3 years at Minnesota.

There also could be minutes as a backup 3 if they decide to go smaller, and while there will definitely be more competition for minutes assuming Crandall commits to the Gophers, that also means he'll have an even better shot (on paper) at making the NCAA tournament, which he did state was a major factor in him wanting to transfer in the first place.

As happy as I'd be to see Stull decomitt (is that possible at this point), I think competing at Minnesota is good.  He already knows he can compete at or near our level, I applaud his B1G aspirations.

But more practically, can he get out at this juncture without losing eligibility.  My assumption is of course Yes, since there has been no minutes played.  But is the grad transfer commitment treated differently?

VU2014