• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Faulds to Michigan... So much for adding a big man this year... Though to be fair we probably never even had a shot at him...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 01, 2018, 12:16:47 AM
Quote from: may know on July 01, 2018, 12:04:46 AM
That is ridiculous. It's a common rule that DBO's are restricted - Barry Hinson often cites how hard it was for him to hold back at Kansas. Whose email at the NCAA do you fill an inquiry to?

I have no clue if he specifically reached out or not. I'm just pointing out connections. I just heard that Loyola has interest. They have 1 scholarship available.

DBO's should be allowed to have friendships from before they took the position.  I have no problem with him having coached a player and taking a phone call from Robinson.  At some point these rules are silly.

SanityLost17

Robinson is listed as the exact same size and weight as Golder.   Golder is a better 3 point shooter but Robinson appears to be a better defender, assist, and rebound guy.  Both guys were really coming on to end their sophomore seasons.  Saint Joe's was a better team than Valpo last year and he was a starter by the end of the season.  Would be a great addition if we can beat out the others. 

If we find a way to get him and he is somehow eligible to play right away with a potential hardship waiver that would ensure Fazekus is going to play the 4 almost exclusively.   

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on July 01, 2018, 11:03:22 AM
Robinson is listed as the exact same size and weight as Golder.   Golder is a better 3 point shooter but Robinson appears to be a better defender, assist, and rebound guy.  Both guys were really coming on to end their sophomore seasons.  Saint Joe's was a better team than Valpo last year and he was a starter by the end of the season.  Would be a great addition if we can beat out the others. 

If we find a way to get him and he is somehow eligible to play right away with a potential hardship waiver that would ensure Fazekus is going to play the 4 almost exclusively.   

Golder and Robinson would be a fun pairing because you could play both of them at the same time with multiple lineups. Coach could get really creative with lineups and cause all kinds of mismatches because of their versatility.

Remember how Bryce for some reason liked putting Shane and E Victor at the 1 (when K Carter was getting rest or injured), because their size? (It drove me nuts at times, because neither were great ball handlers) Apparently Robinson could actually run the point if needed or if Coach wanted to put out a lineup with size. I haven't watched enough tape to know if it's a good idea, but Martelli at SJU played him at the 1 at times.

VUGrad1314

Another important benefit to having Robinson is the intel he could provide on St Joe's a potential opponent we may encounter in Myrtle Beach.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 01, 2018, 02:45:45 PM
Another important benefit to having Robinson is the intel he could provide on St Joe's a potential opponent we may encounter in Myrtle Beach.

That would be huge.

valpo64

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "DBO"?

talksalot

Director of Basketball Operations

valpo64

Thank you...I should have known.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo64 on July 02, 2018, 04:24:13 PM
Thank you...I should have known.

Took me awhile to catch onto DBO as well.  Ppl ❤️ Em shortspeak!!!

FieldGoodie05

His recruitment is problematic in my mind.  Thought I read someone said he could get hardship waiver (not sure how, really not enough info out there) so that would make him the 8th scholarship in our "mega class".

IF we are even in the running, I'd prefer he classifies in Mileek's class as a junior in 2019/20, right?

valpopal

I'm told Parker Hazen will transfer to Daytona State.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on July 02, 2018, 08:22:47 PM

Well that is a shock.  Clearly a misread by the coaching staff is a three star has to go back to a JC.  Hopefully he will enjoy the weather and make it back to a higher level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Misread by more ten the coaching staff if he was ranked as a 3 star. Seemed him and his brother were both a little to highly thought of.

VULB#62

See..  that's the problem with spell check and auto-correct.  M's thumbs are just too big for his phone.

But his point is a good one.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on July 02, 2018, 08:22:47 PM

A good strategy in Parker's case. After the year he had, I doubt that he drew much interest from other D-1's. Going JC gives him an opportunity to repair the damage to his standing and pop back up a year from now.

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on July 02, 2018, 08:31:43 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 02, 2018, 08:22:47 PMI'm told Parker Hazen will transfer to Daytona State.
Well that is a shock.  Clearly a misread by the coaching staff is a three star has to go back to a JC.  Hopefully he will enjoy the weather and make it back to a higher level.
It's not the JC route that's the question. It's this JC that's the question. In short, this was the best he could do? It's strange that a player recruited by Valpo would end up in the Florida JC/CC system.

VUGrad1314

I missed that Paul Oren retweeted the news about Nick Robinson's transfer. That has to be some kind of indication that we have a great shot at getting him. I'm just beginning to wonder where we're going to find the minutes at the 1-3, especially  in 2019-2020. I wonder if Golder and Fazekas are going to see a lot of time at the 4 then if not sooner.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 04, 2018, 02:13:11 AM
I missed that Paul Oren retweeted the news about Nick Robinson's transfer. That has to be some kind of indication that we have a great shot at getting him. I'm just beginning to wonder where we're going to find the minutes at the 1-3, especially  in 2019-2020. I wonder if Golder and Fazekas are going to see a lot of time at the 4 then if not sooner.

Say we land a player that's eligible this year with Robinson's skill set and size (6'6").  How would a lineup look....

Depth Chart

Bradford - Sackey
Evelyn - Freeman - (6'6" Recruit)
Golder - Kaiser
Fazekas - McMillan
Smits - Sorolla

Transfer GORDON

I'm not against a versatile player of size for one of the open scholarships.  We simply should not sign any players under 6'5" or corresponding wing span because we have too many G type players.  At the proposed height that player can play G and F which is huge on this team.  Right now KAISER and Golder are our only versatile players in that regard and KAISER is simply not a scorer.  We need buckets imo.

Having a utility guy like KAISER is very important, but maybe not at the expense of scoring on this relatively young team.

FieldGoodie05

I'll jump on that hope train.  But I think at its root it might only mean because we were in on his recruiting back when, therefore...

SanityLost17

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 02, 2018, 06:43:53 PM

His recruitment is problematic in my mind.  Thought I read someone said he could get hardship waiver (not sure how, really not enough info out there) so that would make him the 8th scholarship in our "mega class".

IF we are even in the running, I'd prefer he classifies in Mileek's class as a junior in 2019/20, right?

If he is available and we have a chance for him we have to take it no matter what class he is part of.    If he is somehow able to get a hardship waiver (complete speculation - so probably not going to happen) he basically takes Kaiser out of the equation for the current junior class.   With Golder finding himself at the end of last year, Robinson having fantastic intangible statistics in a good league (A10), and the additions of Fazekus/JFL, I just don't see how Kaiser gets any playing time. 

Only way Kaiser is getting some playing time is if Bradford is a bust for his junior year and doesn't make the jump from his practice game to real games.   

That said, I think he will likely have to sit a year, which is perhaps more ideal as we try to balance out recruiting classes.       

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 04, 2018, 08:23:38 AM

Say we land a player that's eligible this year with Robinson's skill set and size (6'6").  How would a lineup look....

Depth Chart

Bradford - Sackey
Golder - Kaiser
Fazekas - McMillan
Smits - Sorolla

Transfer GORDON

I'm not against a versatile player of size for one of the open scholarships.  We simply should not sign any players under 6'5" or corresponding wing span because we have too many G type players.  At the proposed height that player can play G and F which is huge on this team.  Right now KAISER and Golder are our only versatile players in that regard and KAISER is simply not a scorer.  We need buckets imo.

Having a utility guy like KAISER is very important, but maybe not at the expense of scoring on this relatively young team.

I'm also a big KAISER fan.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: EddieCabot on July 04, 2018, 01:17:31 PM

Depth Chart

Bradford - Sackey
Golder - Kaiser
Fazekas - McMillan
Smits - Sorolla

Transfer GORDON

I'm also a big KAISER fan.

That's what happens when iPhone autocorrect pulls from your work address book.  Sometimes you just go with it and curse while proceeding.  Other times you wonder why ppl spend so much time correcting others rather than conversing.  Another TOO friend eh!?!?

VU2014

Depth Chart

Bradford - Sackey
Golder - Kaiser
Fazekas - McMillan
Smits - Sorolla

Transfer GORDON

Kiser is just one of those guys who is going to earn minutes on this team, even if he's not a skilled offensive player. It's frustrating having him out there when the team is on one of those multi-minute scoreless streaks but he's crafty defender who does the little things correctly. Coach Lottich will probably favor Kiser over Fazekas and McMillan if they're a defensive weakness at the end of games. If Kiser could add a reliable 3 point shot to keep his defenders honest and to space the floor it could be a game changer for the team when he's on the court.

Adding a '3 and D' guy with size would be ideal.

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 04, 2018, 01:26:52 PM
That's what happens when iPhone autocorrect pulls from your work address book.  Sometimes you just go with it and curse while proceeding.  Other times you wonder why ppl spend so much time correcting others rather than conversing.  Another TOO friend eh!?!?

Understood.  Impressed that Franz Beckenbauer is in your address book!  :thumbsup: (apoligies to non-soccer fans)