• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 24, 2018, 12:19:50 AM
Illinois State adds another:

https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status/988585034134110208

Anyone else happy to see our league mates landing solid recruits?  The tide rises all ships, I think it only helps us build stronger and consistent VU teams that can compete in later rounds of the NCAA Tournament.  I'm coming around to the idea that we might have less % of years qualifying for NCAA's but better and real runs past the Round of 64 are coveted.

As it stands now, since 2001, we've only had a couple teams that were Round 32 capabale despite our great Mid-Con/Summit/HL league game successes.

Keep killing it ISU and Loyola!

VU2014

Agreed, FieldGoodie05. We want the whole league to be good.

Anyone see the 3 UWM transfers?
https://twitter.com/Todd_Rosiak/status/988486309399420928

If Brock Stull is a grad-transfer he'd be a very nice pick up. He was their leading scorer last season but wasn't the most effective season (new coaching staff maybe?). He brings good size at the position.

Career Stats: G: 96 PTS: 10.1 TRB: 4.5 AST: 2.3 FG%: 41.4 FG3%: 37.8 FT%: 77.0 eFG%: 49.8 PER: 15.3

VULB#62

Bell - 6-0 - 171,  G = 14.1 ppg (JR) - 38.3% - 3FG
Stull - 6-4 - 195,  G = 13.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg (RJR) - 37.9% - 3FG
Nze - 6-7 - 230,  F = 10.3 ppg (SO) - 8.5 rpg and recorded 48 blocks to lead UWM (Jay was our leader with 32)

VUGrad1314

Yes we need to be in on these guys.

VUGrad1314

I like Stull and Bell but I think Nze is the real prize. He's not a stretch 4 but his rebounding and shotblocking assuming he can still average 1 or so per game in the MVC which I believe he can will go a long way toward turning some of those close losses into wins. I feel like we need more rebounding more urgently than we need more shooting though we can use both so the kid from IPFW someone mentioned awhile back appeals to me as well.

VUGrad1314

Colorado State transfer (and target of Illinois State and Loyola) Prentiss Nixon has committed to Iowa State. He led the Rams in scoring last year. Had to believe he wasn't coming to either MVC school  after the Redbirds and Ramblers opted for Hillsman and Hall respectively. Okay it's our turn now. Time to step up and grab some talent.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 24, 2018, 11:57:26 AM
I like Stull and Bell but I think Nze is the real prize. He's not a stretch 4 but his rebounding and shotblocking assuming he can still average 1 or so per game in the MVC which I believe he can will go a long way toward turning some of those close losses into wins. I feel like we need more rebounding more urgently than we need more shooting though we can use both so the kid from IPFW someone mentioned awhile back appeals to me as well.

Agree on Nze: FG% is 57.6%. Biggest deficiency is FTs -  48.1%.   As mentioned previously, it would be great if Stull was a grad xfer, too.

VU2014

It sounds like they want to play high-major level, which may take us out of the running. The Horizon League was basically a low-major conference in terms of quality last season. Historically bad for the conference. Maybe going from a now low-major (HL) to one of the top Mid-Major Conferences (MVC) would be appealing.

I'm not sure any of the 3 are starting quality high-major level players, maybe Bell. They'd likely be depth players depending on where they land.

https://twitter.com/Todd_Rosiak/status/988519063549771776

VUGrad1314

We can't win if we're not in. We need to at least try to get in on them. As we all learned this past year the MVC is a sizeable step up from the HL. I'm sure it would appeal to them especially if they can find minutes here which I believe would be very possible for Nze and maybe even for the guards as well since we're looking for a combination of talent and leadership. Anyone who can navigate decently through the situation that Milwaukee and the HL as a whole present has to be a good leader. As bad as things were the Panthers didn't totally fall apart. That's a credit to their coaching staff and to the players. They can join my team anytime.

NativeCheesehead

Live look inside Milwaukee's BBall Offices

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 24, 2018, 01:01:24 PM

Live look at the Horizon League

VU2014

Wow didn't see this one coming. Nice pick up for uwm. Lucas is a mke native.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/988873049054306304

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on April 24, 2018, 01:20:26 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 24, 2018, 01:01:24 PM

Live look at the Horizon League

I really can't believe this, how the Titans have fallen!!! Detroit Mercy one of five DI schools without basketball coach
So glad we are no longer in the HL.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Good article but only need to read the last paragraph

The Titans aren't the only Horizon League men's team dealing with significant challenges. The Milwaukee and Youngstown State programs are among those losing several players, and many of them key players, to transfers. Oakland, a perennial preseason favorite, also is bracing for a down year after the loss for several key redshirt seniors. All this comes after a year in which the Horizon League was 26th in RPI, seventh-worst in the country, following the departure of Valparaiso to the Missouri Valley Conference.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

It seems like most people forgot the UNCW connection with Coach Manuel.  I have to believe that Lottich might have helped with this one?
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on April 24, 2018, 11:28:50 PM
It seems like most people forgot the UNCW connection with Coach Manuel.  I have to believe that Lottich might have helped with this one?

Pretty sure we landed Sorolla for that very reason.  Seem to remember it was down to UNCW and Valpo for Jaume.

elephtheria47

And the trend continues.  Even though he's transferring, marten linssen picked up for minor consuming over the weekend.

VUGrad1314

I don't mean to sound impatient but is anyone else getting just a little bit concerned that we're still on 3 open spots with no rumored targets really to speak of? Is it possible coach is waiting too long for his "home runs" and is letting perfectly good even starter caliber players go on to other schools while his perfect fits may never come?

valpo64

Worried?   Why should we... after all there still are several 5-star recruits who as yet have not chosen a school for next fall, although R Langford will announce his choice tonight.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 30, 2018, 03:21:20 PM
I don't mean to sound impatient but is anyone else getting just a little bit concerned that we're still on 3 open spots with no rumored targets really to speak of? Is it possible coach is waiting too long for his "home runs" and is letting perfectly good even starter caliber players go on to other schools while his perfect fits may never come?

I'm a little concerned. I'm sure they are working the recruiting trail. I know right now most coaching staffs are focusing on the 2019 recruiting class with all the AAU games that began the last few weeks.

I think the lack of immediate playing time availability could be hurting us at certain positions with transfers. With glut of juniors might make it tougher to recruit kids that want to play right away. The Power Forward position is what I'm most concerned about. If we don't land a capable 4 man it will put a lot of pressure Mileek to develop even quicker. I know Golder can play the 4 but it's definitely not ideal. He's best used there when there are certain mismatches that you can exploit.

I'm almost convinced we'll be holding onto one scholarship for a midseason transfer next season, but that's just speculation on my part. It's getting pretty late in the recruitment period. I just don't want the staff to settle for kids that aren't that good and be tied to them for more then 1 season. If we have to settle make sure it's a grad-transfer. I'm actually glad the Staff hasn't settled.

Bakari didn't commit to Valpo till June 10 and Joe Burton didn't commit to Valpo till late-August. So we might be waiting for a while.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 30, 2018, 03:39:03 PMJoe Burton didn't commit to Valpo till late-August. So we might be waiting for a while.

Unfortunately there was a good reason for that we probably should have been paying more attention to so that we wouldn't be looking for a third recruit this off year.

M

Not sure if it's been put here or if this is the wrong place...the Murphy twins from Griffith are heading to Drake

VUGrad1314

I posted this in the HL thread but it probably belongs here: Oakland has lost two more to transfer (Isaiah Brock and Julius Palmer) Brock is headed to Grand Valley State No word on where Palmer is going

VUGrad1314

Quote from: M on April 30, 2018, 03:57:27 PMNot sure if it's been put here or if this is the wrong place...the Murphy twins from Griffith are heading to Drake

Good for them! I was hoping they would land a good D1 offer in a good soos. It appears they have.

In other region/recruiting news Johnny Bernard of Merrillville HS has committed to Eastern Florida State JUCO  And Michigan City HS alum ShanQuan Hemphill  has committed to play for UW-Green Bay after two years in the JUCO ranks.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 30, 2018, 04:01:37 PM
I posted this in the HL thread but it probably belongs here: Oakland has lost two more to transfer (Isaiah Brock and Julius Palmer) Brock is headed to Grand Valley State No word on where Palmer is going

I thought for sure Brock would just retire and start getting his social security checks!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015