• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

Quote from: valpo64 on April 30, 2018, 03:25:08 PM
Worried?   Why should we... after all there still are several 5-star recruits who as yet have not chosen a school for next fall, although R Langford will announce his choice tonight.

News flash: Langford didn't pick Valpo, but he is staying in state.

NativeCheesehead

Lordy that announcement event was cringe inducing. Those adults should be ashamed of using this kid to push themselves into the spotlight. Compared him to Oscar Robertson and Abraham Lincoln.

I love sports. But you've got to keep things in perspective, especially on the high school level. Thank goodness this kid is too good for Maravilla to get his claws into.

IrishDawg

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 01, 2018, 06:52:15 AM
Lordy that announcement event was cringe inducing. Those adults should be ashamed of using this kid to push themselves into the spotlight. Compared him to Oscar Robertson and Abraham Lincoln.

I love sports. But you've got to keep things in perspective, especially on the high school level. Thank goodness this kid is too good for Maravilla to get his claws into.

From everything I've heard and been told, Romeo is a good kid and definitely wasn't comfortable in the spotlight last night.  I can't comment on other adults since I joined the feed of the announcement late and only saw the end of the highlight video and his dad speaking, but his dad was definitely doing exactly what you said.  He knew that all eyes were on him and he was going to milk it for all it was worth.  They kept saying "we're doing this for the fans", but to me it clearly looked like they were doing it for themselves.

wh

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 01, 2018, 08:46:50 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 01, 2018, 06:52:15 AM

From everything I've heard and been told, Romeo is a good kid and definitely wasn't comfortable in the spotlight last night.  I can't comment on other adults since I joined the feed of the announcement late and only saw the end of the highlight video and his dad speaking, but his dad was definitely doing exactly what you said.  He knew that all eyes were on him and he was going to milk it for all it was worth.  They kept saying "we're doing this for the fans", but to me it clearly looked like they were doing it for themselves.

You guys are in the middle of a discussion that doesn't aeem to have a beginning. I'm lost.

VU2014

I personally could care less about Romeo Langford or the ridiculous "decision" show they put on yesterday. Also not sure why this convo is happening on the Valpo transfer thread.  ???

Just Sayin

Quote from: VU2014 on May 01, 2018, 10:10:25 AM
I personally could care less about Romeo Langford or the ridiculous "decision" show they put on yesterday. Also not sure why this convo is happening on the Valpo transfer thread.  ???

How much less could you care?

crusader05

THREAD RESET

What transfers are out there that look like a good fit for Valpo?

My goal would be someone who could shoot for sure but also, I feel like we may really need someone who can step it up on defense with the loss of Tevonn and Max

VU2014

Quote from: crusader05 on May 01, 2018, 10:51:59 AM
THREAD RESET

What transfers are out there that look like a good fit for Valpo?

My goal would be someone who could shoot for sure but also, I feel like we may really need someone who can step it up on defense with the loss of Tevonn and Max

Wish-list:
-experienced grad-transfer PF to add quality depth to go with Mileek
-Future impact level red-shirt transfer. example: Joe Burton but with a less worrisome academic profile (they don't grow on trees)
-I'd love to see us land a 6'5"-6'7" SF that is a dead-eye shooter

-Maybe hold one scholarship for a high level mid-season transfer going into next season.

bbtds

VUGrad1314

My wish list is to hear something--anything--about the program. An offer to a transfer an offer to a 2018 recruit an offer to a 2019 recruit scheduling news. A facility upgrade. Anything!

NativeCheesehead

Something about wishing in one hand.....

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 01, 2018, 02:50:24 PM
My wish list is to hear something--anything--about the program. An offer to a transfer an offer to a 2018 recruit an offer to a 2019 recruit scheduling news. A facility upgrade. Anything!

Lottich said the other day that Valpo will never have any one and done-s because we need to have experience on our side meaning seniors and on down.
I'm trying. Really trying.

VUGrad1314

What was this talk on Union Street Hoops about building a Horizon League All Star team? Does that mean we're in on the three guys from Milwaukee? Because that would certainly qualify.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 04, 2018, 11:53:14 AM
What was this talk on Union Street Hoops about building a Horizon League All Star team? Does that mean we're in on the three guys from Milwaukee? Because that would certainly qualify.

I think Nze and Bell Valpo could certainly get, though I don't know how much Valpo would need either of them (Bell's a sit one, play one, Nze's a sit one, play two).  Stull is going high major somewhere (a lot of that is because he's a grad transfer and doesn't tie down a spot past this year), so don't think he'd be involved in that discussion.

VUGrad1314

I have strong interest in Nze. He would solve a lot of problems at the 4 for us as we could do defense offense pairings like so:

Nze/Smits

McMillan/Sorolla

Mix in some Fazekas and Golder at the four for certain matchups and suddenly the frontcourt becomes a strength. We'd still need a grad transfer for this year though. There looked to be appealing options from Colorado UMASS and USF on a list I saw (hat tip to VU2014 for that list) and there's also the kid from IPFW whose name I forget.

Bell has said he wants to be closer to his family in Louisville and while Valpo certainly qualifies in relation to Milwaukee there would be other closer options in our conference.

VU2014

Paul's podcast seemed to hint there might be a chance a former Horizon League player might be a transfer possibility. If I had to guess that individual would be Brock Stull from UWM.

I would have a good laugh at the reactions UWM fans would have to see one of their best senior players join Valpo as a grad-transfer lol.

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-the-steve-helm-episode/article_8ae7d1b4-4f0f-11e8-9e91-b3607424351c.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuYafe2rWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn-obJ3RoWc

sliman

From a Corey Smith tweet:
UW-Milwaukee grad transfer Brock Stull (@Brock_Stull) said NC State, Xavier, Minnesota, LSU, Boston College, Wichita State, Butler and Valparaiso were among the teams that have reached out.

4:03 PM - Apr 25, 2018

VULB#62

So, it will come down to where he will get the most minutes. Or will it come down to where he feels the most comfortable?  Nah, being a pessimist when it comes to college basketball, I go for the minutes. BUT, I bet he would have a great last year experience at Valpo — hell, he's not gonna get drafted or anything.

VU2014

Fingers crossed he picks us. He'd be a really nice pick up for us and he'd probably play a big role next season. I'm not sure he'd play quite as significant a role at the other larger schools.

Paul said on the podcast a potential "all-star horizon league team". I did a little digging and keep the name Braun Hartfield in mind. He was a 6-6 G/F sophomore at YSU last season. He decided to transfer from YSU this offseason. Braun led the Horizon League in steals and steals per game last season.

Stats: GP: 32/PPG: 13.6/FG%: 42.7/3PT%: 35.0/FT%: 62.2/RPG: 4.3/AST: 2.6/eFG%: 49.6/ PER: 16.2
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/braun-hartfield-1.html

That free throw percentage is concerning, but if he did end up at Valpo I'd hope that could be worked on during his Red Shirt year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=120CU3QXFzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s6KhEsdguw

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 04, 2018, 07:25:13 PMSo, it will come down to where he will get the most minutes. Or will it come down to where he feels the most comfortable?
Is my memory of him being a 3 who played some 2 correct or was he mainly a 2? If so would our surplus of potential 3's (Fazekas, Golder, Evelyn) limit his expectations for sufficient playing time?

Stull should be able to find a good landing place but is Valpo the best fit?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on May 04, 2018, 08:50:04 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 04, 2018, 07:25:13 PMSo, it will come down to where he will get the most minutes. Or will it come down to where he feels the most comfortable?
Is my memory of him being a 3 who played some 2 correct or was he mainly a 2? If so would our surplus of potential 3's (Fazekas, Golder, Evelyn) limit his expectations for sufficient playing time?

Stull should be able to find a good landing place but is Valpo the best fit?

I think we are overstocked at SG if Stull chooses VU.  Great grit player, but not certain he gets a lot of benefit playing for us.  Might be in his best interest to find minutes elsewhere.

Also, is Braun not overly thin for a bruising league like the MVC.

VU2014

Guys trust me, Stull is good enough to play a nice role here. He's a pretty versatile player and a very good rebounder. It's no secret that UWM has been a mess the last couple years. He has played for 3 different head coaches. His strongest year was his Sophomore year.

wh

From a Valpo perspective it's hard to see any downside to adding Stull for 1 season. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, plays 15 minutes or 30, or plays the 2 or 3, it's all good. Lack of depth killed us 2 seasons ago when we lost Jubril, and then Alec went down. It bit us in the butt again this past season when Joe was dismissed and the Freshmen and Sophomores struggled.

From Stull's standpoint, exactly who on Valpo's roster would he be intimidated by? Micah Bradford who put up absolutely awful numbers for the past 2 years? 2 incoming Freshmen who have yet to play their first collegiate game?  This is a guy who averaged almost 14 PPG over the past 2 seasons. He's a proven entity who earned his minutes on the court over 3 years. There's not a doubt in my mind he would play a significant role on next year's team and make a positive impact. Sounds like a win-win to me.

bbtds

Stull comes from Rockford Boylan, a catholic school. I don't know if that favors Xavier or Boston College but since he first chose Milwaukee probably not and my thought is, like Brandon Wood, he will go for the P5 public school if they say the right things.