• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

VUMBB, please, please just give us fans the signing of A) a difference maker, if only for just one year, or if that is not possible B) a complementary player who will glue our team together.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 05, 2018, 08:22:31 PM
VUMBB, please, please just give us fans the signing of A) a difference maker, if only for just one year, or if that is not possible B) a complementary player who will glue our team together.

VULB#62

Homer (the cartoon Homer - but maybe the real one too) and I are of one accord.

Just Sayin

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 05, 2018, 08:22:31 PM

Bryson is only 3 years old, so it might be awhile.

VU2014

One thing that might play in our favor in Brock Stull's recruitment is the very close friendship between Coach Lottich and UWM's Coach Townsend. I believe Coach Townsend is the longest UWM tenured college coach Brock has had. Relationships mean so much in recruiting. Maybe that will play a positive role for us.

It sounds like he has visited Xavier and he may visit Minnesota.

https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/992956878492717057
https://twitter.com/Marcus_R_Fuller/status/992961921019273217

VUGrad1314

Minnesota is where Rob Jeter presently works as an assistant. He recruited Stull. That relationship,location, high major status, and his immediate eligibility make it a good fit for  both sides. I'd consider Minnesota a huge threat to sign Stull, even perhaps his most likely landing spot.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 06, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
Minnesota is where Rob Jeter presently works as an assistant. He recruited Stull. That relationship,location, high major status, and his immediate eligibility make it a good fit for  both sides. I'd consider Minnesota a huge threat to sign Stull, even perhaps his most likely landing spot.

That is true but he'd probably be coming off the bench on that Minnesota team. Apparently Virginia and Butler have reached out as well. I think Valpo's main selling point would be the role he'd likely play here, which probably wouldn't be available at the P6 teams. If he struggles in his first few games here, he wouldn't get buried on the bench. I actually think we have a shot to land Stull even if there are some high major programs showing interest.

I could see a starting 5 of:
PG: Bakari
SG: JFL
G/F: Stull
PF: McMillan
C: Smits

I could see us running with this starting lineup and playing with Golder as the key reserve that basically plays starter minutes. I know the staff liked bringing Golder off the bench last season because of the energy and they could sub him in to create certain mismatches. Golder talent-wise probably deserves to start but that's where recruiting minimal ego and team guys come into play. You don't need to be a starter to know your worth and importance to the team.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 04, 2018, 09:02:51 PMAlso, is Braun not overly thin for a bruising league like the MVC.

Maybe but isn't that what the transfer year is for? I'll take a high level 3+D player with quick hands who can get into passing lanes and disrupt the opposing offense.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 06, 2018, 03:08:17 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 06, 2018, 02:54:05 PM

That is true but he'd probably be coming off the bench on that Minnesota team. Apparently Virginia and Butler have reached out as well. I think Valpo's main selling point would be the role he'd likely play here, which probably wouldn't be available at the P6 teams. If he struggles in his first few games here, he wouldn't get buried on the bench. I actually think we have a shot to land Stull even if there are some high major programs showing interest.

I could see a starting 5 of:
PG: Bakari
SG: JFL
G/F: Stull
PF: McMillan
C: Smits

I could see us running with this starting lineup and playing with Golder as the key reserve that basically plays starter minutes. I know the staff liked bringing Golder off the bench last season because of the energy and they could sub him in to create certain mismatches. Golder talent-wise probably deserves to start but that's where recruiting minimal ego and team guys come into play. You don't need to be a starter to know your worth and importance to the team.

Um, two words...Ryan Fazekas.  Please explain how he doesn't start and play lots of minutes.  I really don't think an ESPN 4 star will be riding the pines.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/189728/ryan-fazekas
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IrishDawg

"Everyone's going to tell you they want the right fit, but that's obvious. I want to win. I want to make the NCAA Tournament." — @Brock_Stull on what will factor into his transfer decision - Quote from a Pack Pride article.

So assuming playing time and whether he's coming off the bench isn't an issue for Stull, Valpo needs to sell him on the fact that despite the last place finish last season, they're likely going to win the MVC and make the tournament.  It can happen, and based on the roster the Crusaders have next year, it's not impossible to see it happening with a guy like Stull on the roster. 

The issue is that schools like Xavier make the tournament basically every year, and he'd have more competition for playing time there with Kyle Castlin (grad transfer from Columbia) and Naji Marshall, but there are still going to be plenty of minutes available at the 2 and 3 spots at Xavier next season.

VU2014

Good Lord, how did I forget about Ryan?  :-[ Yeah slip Ryan into the SF position as a starter. Stull could probably play 1-3. I remember him handling the 1 a couple times. Regardless I think Stull would play a nice role on this team and would get some good minutes.

If a guaranteed Tournament bid is the main priority for him then maybe we aren't the best choice for him. I think we should have a competitive team next season but I wouldn't put money on anyone in the MVC being a lock as a tourney team. It's just really tough at the mid-major level. There are some teams that are showing interest that should have pretty good shots to be tourney teams, but his role would probably be reduced from what it would be here. At Valpo he'd be treated as more then just good depth.

VUGrad1314

It's tough to make the tournament as a mid but I don't think it's impossible. Illinois State is putting together a great schedule and has an extremely deep and talented roster. I think they should have a great shot at an at-large. Loyola may as well depending on their schedule. I don't see them taking much of a step back. SIU should be really good if healthy,; Bradley should have a great team. UNI always schedules well and should be better than last year though I think they're a year away from really making noise. Missouri State still has plenty of talent. Indiana State and our Crusaders are on the way up in schedule and roster quality. Drake and Evansville will be fine and I don't think either will be as bad as many think. I can definitely see two bids. Three under perfect circumstances is possible.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 06, 2018, 09:23:48 PM
It's tough to make the tournament as a mid but I don't think it's impossible. Illinois State is putting together a great schedule and has an extremely deep and talented roster. I think they should have a great shot at an at-large. Loyola may as well depending on their schedule. I don't see them taking much of a step back. SIU should be really good if healthy,; Bradley should have a great team. UNI always schedules well and should be better than last year though I think they're a year away from really making noise. Missouri State still has plenty of talent. Indiana State and our Crusaders are on the way up in schedule and roster quality. Drake and Evansville will be fine and I don't think either will be as bad as many think. I can definitely see two bids. Three under perfect circumstances is possible.

Three is not even remotely possible and two is a long shot.  Win and you're in...

VUGrad1314

Did we not just see the A10 a conference with lower overall metrics than the MVC this past year  get three bids? Why can't it be us next year?What's stopping Illinois State Loyola and SIU from doing what Rhode Island St Bonaventure and Davidson just did? The only thing I can think of is perception and a big reason the MVC has a lower perception than the A10 is that too many folks in prominent positions in the MVC have broadcast that same message. If you think you've lost in this climate you already have. Where are the people willing to stand and fight for this conference which just made a final four and for mid majors in general?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 07, 2018, 05:59:47 AM
Did we not just see the A10 a conference with lower overall metrics than the MVC this past year  get three bids? Why can't it be us next year?What's stopping Illinois State Loyola and SIU from doing what Rhode Island St Bonaventure and Davidson just did? The only thing I can think of is perception and a big reason the MVC has a lower perception than the A10 is that too many folks in prominent positions in the MVC have broadcast that same message. If you think you've lost in this climate you already have. Where are the people willing to stand and fight for this conference which just made a final four and for mid majors in general?

Has the MVC ever gotten 3 bids and I'd so how many times?

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 07, 2018, 05:59:47 AM

Teams make the final 4, not conferences, just like teams make the tournament, not conferences.  The A-10 had 3 teams in because Rhode Island had a good non-conference strength of schedule and no bad losses, and St. Bonaventure won most of their big non-conference games (@Syracuse, @Buffalo, Vermont and Maryland at Neutral sites) and other than their opener against Niagara didn't have any bad losses, and Davidson won the conference tourney.  The WCC as a league is atrocious overall, but they get multiple bids because their teams at the top are good enough to get in, and don't lose games they shouldn't within league play.  If the Illinois States, Loyolas, etc. win their important OOC games on the schedule and keep the bad losses to a minimum, they'll be able to get in next year as an at-large.  If they don't, they won't.  UNI was actually in pretty decent shape coming out of their non-conference schedule last year, but when you start conference play 0-5, that's a big hole to climb out of.

IrishDawg

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 07, 2018, 07:27:36 AM

Twice in the last 17 years (2005, and 2006 where they actually had 4 bids).

wh

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 07, 2018, 07:57:08 AM

As I recall, the selection committee relied almost exclusively on RPI back in those days.  In fact, the MVC was accused by the high major world of "gaming the system." There was far less emphasis in those days on SOS, signature wins, and bad losses.  For example, Illinois State (left out season before last) would have been a shoe-in at-large back then.  The same for Valpo's NIT runner-up team.   

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on May 07, 2018, 11:45:58 AM
Quote from: IrishDawg on May 07, 2018, 07:57:08 AM

As I recall, the selection committee relied almost exclusively on RPI back in those days.  In fact, the MVC was accused by the high major world of "gaming the system." There was far less emphasis in those days on SOS, signature wins, and bad losses.  For example, Illinois State (left out season before last) would have been a shoe-in at-large back then.  The same for Valpo's NIT runner-up team.

Thanks for driving home my suspisions.  I think 3-bids for the MVC of today in the at-large process (today) is just not all that likely.

I'm thinking it's win the conference tournament or go to the NIT.  Schedule tough to prepare for our league and let the chips fall where they may.  Sounds like we are doing the tougher scheduling for next year (to be applauded) and let's rock!

VU2014

It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from Indy (Gordon's hometown) to Valparaiso. He's going to be a sit one, play 2 guy. He's a former Indiana All-Star and the brother of Eric Gordon. There is some upside here. He didn't get much playing time at Seton Hall until some injuries thrust him into a bigger role and actually played pretty well. I've heard he's a great kid and very humble.

https://twitter.com/NJHoopsHaven/status/991027048708804609

He can't transfer to Butler because they have a conference rule against in-conference transfers. I also don't see him being a fit on Indiana (no scholarships) or Purdue's roster. Notre Dame didn't initially offer.

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/eron-gordon-1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHsUNc2vbrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YJhrh8K37g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXHsGWXsLE

FieldGoodie05

I'm not sure I go after Eron Gordon if I'm coach.  It's not a position of great need such to alienate JFL and Golder who are both already on board.

I get he'd be a great get, but am I crazy?

VU2014

I think Bakari could play off the ball pretty well. Golder can play the 3 and even the 4 in certain situations. You can never have too much backcourt talent. But I do agree that I think there are other areas of more pressing needs: PF and maybe another SF.

may know

As well as the Monmouth team that beat Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, & Rutgers.

The difference then and now is P6 members didn't makeup half the committee guaranteeing them control over criteria, PR, and selections.

VUGrad1314

Anybody else beginning to think that we have  our stretch 4 on the roster already in Fazekas?

Also  as far as Gordon is concerned we owe it to ourselves our conference and mid majors as a whole to bring in the best players we can. If he's interested and the coaching staff thinks he's a difference maker then we should pursue him. We can sort the positions out later as we have plenty of flexibility and numerous lineup  combinations we can deploy.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on May 07, 2018, 09:45:58 PMI think Bakari could play off the ball pretty well. Golder can play the 3 and even the 4 in certain situations. You can never have too much backcourt talent. But I do agree that I think there are other areas of more pressing needs: PF and maybe another SF.

Didn't Bakari play some of his best games off ball; and by contrast wasn't Bradford at his best on ball?