• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/5, 7:05: IPFW @ Valpo Game Thread

Started by truth219, December 04, 2012, 12:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Since we're complaining elsewhere about the sound system, I'll comment on the video feed.  (For these evening games I often stay at home with the Mrs., unless we have a sitter.)

I thought the quality of the video stream was actually really good.  A few ill-advised cuts to alternate cameras, but the videography wasn't bad as a whole.  There were a few issues with lost continuity - maybe my local connection, maybe not.

Very frustrating, however, was the audio sync.  The radio call, dubbed as usual onto the video feed was... about 7 seconds behind?  Almost bad enough to just mute it.  I've had one other viewer, at least, confirm the missed sync.

Todd was, as usual, very solid on the call.  So, I hung in there.  But... seven seconds... goodness!

mvandersee

I caught the second half online and was also getting frustrated with the delay on the audio feed.  Glad to know it wasn't just an issue with my computer, hopefully it will be fixed for the next broadcast.  I noticed that they did have it synced up correctly in the highlight video so I'm assuming that they caught their error.

Valposter

I thought this was interesting.  Attached below is a link to an "alternative" index to the RPI for college basketball.  It is called the NPI (Nolan Power Index).  It weights a team's record and strength of schedule and only factors in Divison 1 games.  Valpo currently has an NPI of 91, based upon a record of 6-2 against D1 teams (ranked 59th), and a current Strenght of Schedule of .4428 (ranked 284th).

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2013/npi
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

MattCarter

Quote from: mvandersee on December 06, 2012, 10:17:05 AMI caught the second half online and was also getting frustrated with the delay on the audio feed.  Glad to know it wasn't just an issue with my computer, hopefully it will be fixed for the next broadcast.  I noticed that they did have it synced up correctly in the highlight video so I'm assuming that they caught their error.

That issue is because they are now using HD cameras (which delay feed a bit to the place its mixed with audio).  Also, the actual processing of the video to flash adds a delay.  Most programs do offer an "audio delay" feature that will better sync things up.  Seeing that HLN uses UStream, I don't remember that feature on its streaming software or not.  I use a program called VMix that allows you to set audio delays in milliseconds and it shows you the delay time the processing it taking.  It takes some trial and error to get right.  Fred mentioned that the IPFW game was the first with the new cameras...so I bet its something they'll be playing with for a while to get right.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

vu84v2

Very impressed with Ryan's toughness for playing.  He shouldn't do anything terribly foolish, but if the doctors say he is OK to play - then kudos to him for toughing it out (he also must have toughed it out at St. Louis where he was constantly swarmed).

I liked that the big men felt they need to get tougher...because they do.  Saw a little of it last night from Capobianco for the first time (some good strong defense in the second half).  Still, he needs to get stronger going after the ball.  Perhaps if the big men's toughness doesn't improve, they will volunteer to touch every step in the ARC (instead of Bryce telling them to).

Audio sync was awful last night.  Its a pretty poor organization that does not resolve simple things like that (have HD now is not an excuse).

MattCarter

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 06, 2012, 01:59:18 PMAudio sync was awful last night.  Its a pretty poor organization that does not resolve simple things like that (have HD now is not an excuse).
If it were a paid service I would totally agree.  But since there aren't even ads on the thing I don't think its fair to call them out for organization.  Its not something that you would anticipate. 
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 06, 2012, 09:19:31 AM
Quote from: agibson on December 06, 2012, 09:14:06 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on December 05, 2012, 09:42:42 PMApparently Rowdy has had mono for at least a couple weeks now.  Found out last Tuesday.

Wow!  I was skeptical just reading this on an internet forum.  But, Paul Oren confirms, and it's the title for his recap.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/broekhoff-reveals-mono-after-dominant-performance/article_013b9743-f8de-59f6-981c-6c3b8cd8a282.html

VU's Broekhoff reveals mono after dominant performance

As if to add to his legend, Broekhoff revealed after the game that he was diagnosed with mononucleosis last week and was still feeling the ill effects.

"I still have my ups and downs," Broekhoff said. "I can't really put a percentage (on how I'm feeling). There are a couple days when I'm pretty good and a couple days where I'm pretty lethargic."

It seems like this could be really bad news.  I mean, I guess it's good if he's had it for a few weeks already.  But, mono can really take it out of you for... months?

Googling a bit... Fatigue and flu-like symptoms for... 3-7 weeks?  With the usual recommendation, apparently, that you stay home (from school, from athletic practices) at least until the fever's gone.  First few weeks?

Danger to the spleen is sometimes discussed... but may be overrated?

I'm surprised more hasn't come of this.  I wonder what the repercussions will be?

Then this is simple...sit Ryan until he's healthier. There's nothing to be gained by beating IPFW. Heck, there's not even much to be gained in conference unless you're getting a top 2 seed, which Valpo might get again. This season comes down to the HL tournament, and everybody needs to be healthy when that time comes.

Agree if you'd be satisfied with a 15 or 16 seed.  If we want a 10, 11 or 12 then the IPFW game was a must win as are all the games against lesser opponents.  There is more to it than just the conference championship.  Obviously it's the most important thing, but none of us want to be in the play in game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015