• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/17: Valpo @ Oakland Game Thread

Started by HC, December 16, 2012, 09:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

vu72, I haven't found anything on firstrowsports, and the vipboxsports site is still down, according to Google Chrome. If you purchased from one of the earlier games in December, it is a CBS site, so you should be able to watch it with your current subscription?

swiftmutiny

It's up on firstrowsports: http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/159460/1/watch-valparaiso-vs-oakland.html

Again, let's all be smart Internet users. Don't click on any ads or download anything.  :thumbsup:

agibson

Anyone follow the technicals on Dority and now Buggs?  What happened?

agibson

Nice to see Capo hitting it from three.  He's been pretty high percentage from their during warm-ups, at times.

Smj

How can we have 13 turnovers in the first half?   (I remember a football movie where a player was forced to carry a ball everywhere because he fumbled too much - looked for a clip from "The Program". Maybe our guys should do that for a while...)

agibson

How many of them were offensive fouls?

Smj

Oakland sure made the right adjustments at the half....

agibson

We're neck and neck.  But, it's going to be close.  Two technicals and an intentional foul...

valpospartan

I just wish that Todd Ickow would show a little emotion when calling the game.  :lol:

wh

I'm going to wait for about 2 days to post.  >:(

agibson

Why do we insist on running clock, instead of running the offense?  When we're up by as few as five?  When we're up by _one_?

Conference play is what matters.  And, obviously, Dority's still figuring out his role on the team.  But, a tough one to lose.

vuchicago

Can not believe that just happened  >:(
20 turnovers is not gonna cut it against anyone. Conference play can't come soon enough granted we get our act together....

atkins

20 TO's against a mediocre Oakland team.  I am not sure we are even the best team in the Horizon. 

bbtds

Quote from: vuchicago on December 17, 2012, 08:06:16 PM
Can not believe that just happened  >:(
20 turnovers is not gonna cut it against anyone. Conference play can't come soon enough granted we get our act together....

BIG BIG "IF!!!"

This team has shown no sign of handling the ball better and shooting the three better (except maybe Capo hitting 2 threes). Those 2 issues are really turning what was a team with a ton of potential into a very mediocre team.

truth219

vuchicago

Letting the FT shooter get that rebound when there is no other OU player down there is a freshman mistake

valpotx

Quote from: govalpogo on December 17, 2012, 08:07:22 PM
http://youtu.be/xhrn5tredQM

Yes, my sentiments exactly.  Someone email Bryce and ask why we do the slowdown with 5-6 minutes left and a lead of 4-8, and especially with a 1 point lead.  Teams that are looking for an upset do that crap, not teams favored to win.  When we run our normal offense there is usually about 8-10 seconds left anyways, so why the f&*$ do you mess with what is working??  >:(
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Tough loss to Oakland by 2 points, the same result as exactly one year ago on 12/17/11 when Valpo lost to Oakland by 2 points. Also, Valpo is now 7-4, which is what they were after that Oakland game last year as well. In addition, the comments on the board seem to repeat what were written at that time. Still looking forward to the team gaining momentum as they did last year when conference play began.

valpotx

Hey, if we beat Murray State on the road, then we still come out at the predicted 10-4.  I highly doubt it since they are almost ranked, but maybe we pull one out of our butts  :thumbsup:
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

Not too thrilled about the officiating tonight, but nonetheless...

Ho hum, here we go again.  Another patented VU lull with a lead on the road as a result of the lack of the cultivation of a killer instinct that is required to manage game momentum and put teams away.

We escaped at Kent and Missouri State.  Not tonight.

But hey, we're 7-4. 

valporun

agibson, the tech on Dority may have been for taunting after a dunk. The one on Buggs was for slapping the basketball after the Oakland player threw the elbow his way. What really didn't make any sense was how the Oakland player commits the offensive foul, Buggs gets the tech, and Oakland gets the ball back after the tech free throws? It also resulted in two points. It was the difference in the halftime score, should have been tied at 32.

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpopal on December 17, 2012, 08:16:20 PM
Tough loss to Oakland by 2 points, the same result as exactly one year ago on 12/17/11 when Valpo lost to Oakland by 2 points. Also, Valpo is now 7-4, which is what they were after that Oakland game last year as well. In addition, the comments on the board seem to repeat what were written at that time. Still looking forward to the team gaining momentum as they did last year when conference play began.

So, everything is exactly the same as last year...does that mean Valpo doesn't make the tournament again too?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

motowntitan

Argggggghhhh!

Terrible night for the Horizon in almost identical scores.

I think Detroit needed one win against St Johns, Miami, Pitt, or Cuse.  We still have Temple.  However, I thought a 2 bid league was possible.  It still may be, but that means UIC would have to run the table and have another team knock them off in the Championship game.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on December 17, 2012, 08:16:20 PMStill looking forward to the team gaining momentum as they did last year when conference play began.

I still say big "if." Not a given.