• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/23 Green Bay at Valpo Thread

Started by talksalot, January 19, 2013, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

OK, it's been almost 2 hours since the mini-comeback of the year, taking over first place... now... about the Phoenix.  They've won 4 straight HL games Loyola by 13 at home, UIC by 6 at home, YST by 9 at home, and today a 77-50 drubbing of CSU.   Gee, another team with 4 straight home wins coming in.

We're both off until Wednesday... they have lost their two road HL games @ Wright State and @ Detroit.... and actually, they have NO road wins all year, losses to Idaho, Nevada, Virginia, Wisconsin, Tennessee Tech and SIU,

They do have some nice Home wins, #53 ND State and a two point win over #19 Marquette.

HL Standings now:

Valpo 5-1
Wright State 4-1
Detroit 4-2
Green Bay 4-2
and the rest

Lets keep the Momentum in the ARC...!!

HC

I like GB and think that Cerroni and Sykes are the guys we need to be concerned with, more so then Brown (who will be in foul trouble 7 mins into the game).

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on January 19, 2013, 10:55:52 PM
I like GB and think that Cerroni and Sykes are the guys we need to be concerned with, more so then Brown (who will be in foul trouble 7 mins into the game).

brown seems to always have good games against us - i'd be wary of what he might do this time around. we're going to need good shooting and a willingness to keep brown from getting to the rack. that said, i think we win this game by 9-13 or so when it's all said and done. close until free throws at the end.

valpotx

With some rest, we come out much more energetic:

Valpo 77
GB 67
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

I hope our defensive scheme does not include Buggs guarding Brown in the post.  Switching in a man-to-man sometimes has unfortunate results...
Beamin' Beacons

Smj

I hope our "plan" is not to trail the entire game.    Pulling out a heroic win is fun to watch but at some point that is going to bite us.   We are awesome at making in game adjustments but I want to see a game where our opponent is scrambling to get back into it.   

I've watch GB and they are tough.   I think there will be a couple interesting matchup challenges.   

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 20, 2013, 05:43:17 AM
I hope our defensive scheme does not include Buggs guarding Brown in the post.  Switching in a man-to-man sometimes has unfortunate results...
What you don't like 5'11 guarding 7'1?

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 20, 2013, 05:43:17 AMI hope our defensive scheme does not include Buggs guarding Brown in the post.  Switching in a man-to-man sometimes has unfortunate results...

Agreed. I think Rowdy should not have switched so much when they put him on Darling. He kept switching off Darling and leaving Bogan or Buggs to guard the bigger man. Darling took advantage of it every time.

Of course you can't argue with success.

That was a very tough Wright State team we beat last night. I think when they were picked last in conference it's because they lost Mays. But what those prognosticators missed was that Arceneaux, Darling, Pacher, Sledge and company have made up for it with good defense and team play on the offensive end and they are guided by a good coach, Billy Donlon.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 20, 2013, 05:43:17 AM

what, you didn't like bogan and boggs trying to guard cole darling?

humbleopinion

We saw it too often in the Loyola game as well.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

Well, I just saw the end of the Loyola - Chicago State game, LUC wins in OT by 3 at Chicago State....

THEN I get nervous when I ready about the depth of UWGB in their win on Saturday...This is from the HL Website wrap up:
====================================================

Green Bay 77, Cleveland State 50
Jordan Fouse scored a career-high 17 points and added 10 rebounds, four assists, four steals and three blocked shots, leading a balanced Green Bay attack as the Phoenix rolled past visiting Cleveland State, 77-50, at the Resch Center.

Green Bay (10-9, 4-2 Horizon) won its seventh straight game at the Resch Center and fourth in a row overall, moving into a tie for third place in the Horizon League.

During its winning streak, Green Bay has held opponents to just 49.3 points per game and 33.4 percent shooting. The defense was on display again on Saturday, with the Phoenix blocking 10 shots and limiting Cleveland State (10-10, 2-4 Horizon) to just 34.6 percent shooting (18-of-52).

The 10 blocks were tied for the second-most in program history, and Alec Brown led the effort, per usual. The program's all-time leading shot blocker had a season-high six blocks and averaged four swats per game on the homestand. Brown now has 187 blocked shots in his career.

Sultan Muhammad drained a pair of three-pointers as part of a 13-0 run that turned a 4-2 deficit into a 15-4 lead just over five minutes into the game. Muhammad made his first four shots (3-3 3FGs) and had 13 of his 15 points at halftime. Brown and Keifer Sykes each scored 14 points and Brennan Cougill had a double-double off the Phoenix bench with 11 points and  10 rebounds.

Green Bay has had five occasions in its Division I history where two teammates tallied double-doubles in the same game. Four of them have come in the past three years under Wardle, and Cougill has been involved three times.

With five players in double figures, the offense was effective as Green Bay shot 54.8 percent from the field and made 25-of-32 free throws (13-of-13 second half). The Phoenix started 8-of-15 from the line before sinking its last 17 attempts.

However, as it has been the entire home winning streak, the defense was the catalyst. Despite Brown's blocks, it was the freshman Fouse leading the charge. Playing the top of a 1-2-2 zone, the 6-foot-7 Fouse disrupted the Vikings offense.

After CSU whittled a 15-point lead down to nine late in the first half, Fouse tallied four points, a steal and an assist in an 18-second stretch which sparked a 7-0 run to end the half. Green Bay led 43-26 at the break and was ahead by double digits the rest of the way.

Midway through the second half with Green Bay leading by 18 points, the Phoenix went on a 16-4 run including seven points from Brown and six from Sykes to extend its lead to 30 with 2:44 remaining.

Getting 10 rebounds from Cougill and Fouse, Green Bay also dominated the backboard. The Phoenix outrebounded Cleveland State 41-18 and limited CSU to just five offensive rebounds.

Green Bay will now take to the road for four games in a row, beginning with a game on Wednesday night at Valparaiso.
====================================
Let's not be their first Road win of the season.

bbtds

If I was Green Bay I would be much more worried about Valpo then the Crusaders are about Green Bay. The biggest factor in this game is that the Phoenix have yet to win a game on the road this season. Yes, they are tough at home but this game is at the ARC. We can worry about the game at Green Bay when the time comes.

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on January 20, 2013, 09:24:17 PMHowever, as it has been the entire home winning streak, the defense was the catalyst. Despite Brown's blocks, it was the freshman Fouse leading the charge. Playing the top of a 1-2-2 zone, the 6-foot-7 Fouse disrupted the Vikings offense.
I had forgotten about that 1-2-2 which presents some unique challenges and opportunities. Look for our bench to play much larger minutes either as a response to their style of play or as an attempt by us to dictate the style. This game should look very different than the Wright St. game and as always I would prefer that we jumped out to a big early lead,and made them chase us.

Defending Brown and Cougill is always interesting, and since we are overdue for a stinker I would call this game a toss-up.

vuweathernerd

while brown's height is and has been a concern against the perennially shorter valpo roster, he's not as quick and physical as kevin. he's a finesse player while kvw and capo are bangers. if we can pull him out of the lane on defense, that'll be a great help. but in the end, i'm not overly concerned about this one, honestly. i'm more worried about the return game at their place next month.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Computers say VU by 6, 72% chance of winning FWIW
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 22, 2013, 09:40:02 AM
What is line on this game? 

I'm no expert at this, but I don't see a line yet.  Maybe only high profile games get one this early?

HC

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2013/01/game-plan-green-bay.html

I put a 9 point win for Valpo in my prediction.

If you download the Yahoo! Sportacular app you can see the lines. For our games they don't usually have a line posted more then a day in advance. I don't see one yet, it will probably be up there tonight though.

VUfan

UWGB is Improved look out. Valpo 72 UWGB 68 

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 19, 2013, 11:47:57 PM
Quote from: HC on January 19, 2013, 10:55:52 PM

brown seems to always have good games against us - i'd be wary of what he might do this time around. we're going to need good shooting and a willingness to keep brown from getting to the rack. that said, i think we win this game by 9-13 or so when it's all said and done. close until free throws at the end.

I agree. A 7 foot big man with finesse is something that we usually have no answer for. Needless to say, Capo might get some more minutes trying to contain him. I hope he can move his feet enough to try to equalize that matchup a little more.

valpopal

Here is an excellent preview from the Green Bay perspective. Green Bay has improved and now looks like the team we thought they would be, though they haven't done well on the road. I hope that continues. I think the key to the game could be the match-up between Ryan and their 6-7 forward Jordan Fouse:

http://www.phearthephoenix.webs.com/

valpotx

I would assume that Vashil will get 6-8 minutes in this game, depending on how KVW and Bobby do on Alec.  Vashil is probably quicker than Alec, which would bode well for someone of similar size to guard him occasionally.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I think Vashil only plays when Valpo goes zone.  I don't think he'd have a chance against a player with good post moves like Brown, but we'll see.  He has been picking up a few minutes each game recently, and as he is my boys' favorite player I hope that continues and I hope he continues to progress.

I think Erik getting into the lane against their zone, where Fause is the top man I believe, and then making good decisions is going to be key.  Erik usually does make pretty good choices in there so I'm not to worried.  I think Will is going to stay hot from the corners (don't shoot it anywhere else!), and I think KVW can get Brown into foul trouble.

valpopal

Here is a new video with Jordan Coleman demonstrating the art of the dunk. I hope we see a couple of these against Green Bay, but I recommend he not try the windmill dunk during a scrimmage game if Bobby is on the other team.  ;)

Valpo All-Access: Jordan Coleman 1|22|13

EddieCabot

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere, but I believe that Greg Mays (9.3 ppg; 6.5 rpg) will not be available for the Valpo game.  They are one of the few teams in the Horizon who don't always play with 3 guards.  I'll be interested to see how Valpo matches up when GB has Brown, Cougill and Fouse/Turner on the court together. 

If Valpo is ever going to utilize a "big" lineup, this would be the opportunity.  However, my guess is Bryce will stay with his standard rotation and just rely more on the zone when GB goes big.  Thoughts?

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 22, 2013, 01:28:28 PM

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere, but I believe that Greg Mays (9.3 ppg; 6.5 rpg) will not be available for the Valpo game.  They are one of the few teams in the Horizon who don't always play with 3 guards.  I'll be interested to see how Valpo matches up when GB has Brown, Cougill and Fouse/Turner on the court together. 

If Valpo is ever going to utilize a "big" lineup, this would be the opportunity.  However, my guess is Bryce will stay with his standard rotation and just rely more on the zone when GB goes big.  Thoughts?
I was about ready to pose the same question. Who has the advantage in the big vs big? In a short stretch maybe GB but for a 10 min run maybe VU. This would be interesting to watch and this game could be a real coaching chessmatch. If that gambit is offered I would like to see us accept it just to see the results.