• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/30/13 Valpo at Youngstown State game thread

Started by bbtds, January 24, 2013, 09:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Never really expect us to win them all....   Would have been nice to win and i am sure the players are disappointed in not getting a win.   Just hope theyhave a great game tomorrow since i am taking a vacation day to drive to the game.

As for our seed...  I am going to try to keep looking at the next game.   (however HL is a tough conference right now so i would be surprised if we get worse than a 14 seed.)

wh

Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2013, 07:05:01 AM
Quote from: wh on January 30, 2013, 08:50:36 PM
Like Tex said, 1 loss is not the end of the world, but it does change a lot of the discussion we've been having about things that would make this a special season. At this point our BB opponent is basically inconsequential.  The only thing that really matters is finding a way to win the league, host the tournament, and hopefully win it.  We now have too many bad losses and RPI killers to hope for anything better than a 15 seed (a 14 would be a huge long shot) and inevitable 1st round loss.  That would still be a good season and hopefully set the stage for better things in the future.  Anything less than that from this experienced, talented group would be a disappointment the likes of which none of us will forget for a very long time.     

wh, you know I love ya, but I don't think you realize how many bad conference leaders are out there. Right now,the Horizon is ranked 12th in the Sagarin's and Valpo/Detroit are around 80.  I counted 12 conferences ranked lower than the horizon with leaders ranked lower than 80.

Examples: The Southeastern, ranked 32 and their leader Southern U ranked 200.  The Atlantic Sun ranked 24 and their leader Mercer, ranked 152.  The Big South,ranked 28 and their leader Charelston Southern, ranked 155.  The Mid-Eastern, ranked 30 and their leader NC Central ranked 182.  The North East, ranked 25 and their leader Robert Morris ranked 150.

I could go on.  We are very close to out ranking the leaders of the MAC, Sunbelt, WAC, Southland, and Summit and we have beaten Murray State the leader of the OVC.  All these conferences are ranked lower than the Horizon. With a few upsets and our strong finish it is not inconceivable to come in as a 12, but probably a 13, but certainly not a 15, which would mean there were only 4 to 7 teams ranked lower than us.

Let's hope we can continue this debate coming into the Selection Show!   ;) ;)

You are of course correct in what you are saying.  I'm afraid I let my disappointment over the outcome of last night's game cloud my better judgement.   :-[

Go Crusaders!

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 31, 2013, 04:07:33 PMWhat I probably should have said is: there is no fixed number for what seed the higher 4 teams will be who compete in Dayton.  It all depends on the field.

Nope, I don't think that explains it any better.

It was zville's long explanation that really helped me understand. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann