• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Storming the court" question

Started by bbtds, January 29, 2013, 11:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

The SLU fans are debating whether they should storm the court if they beat conference rival, Butler, in their game at Chaifetz Arena Thursday night.

Since Valpo did it against Butler last year, did you agree with the "storming?"

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23410

Actually when Butler beat Gonzaga this year on a last second win it or lose it shot the Dawgpound stormed the court.

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2013, 11:08:13 PMActually when Butler beat Gonzaga this year on a last second win it or lose it shot the Dawgpound stormed the court.

But what a finish!  I can forgive them for getting caught up in the emotion.

wh

Top 50 A-10 teams storming the court for Butler?  Ridiculous... 
St. Louis?  Weren't they picked to win their league or something?  Ridiculous... 
Would we storm the court, having made a recent habit of beating them like a drum?  Ridiculous...

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 29, 2013, 11:35:59 PM
Top 50 A-10 teams storming the court for Butler?  Ridiculous... 
St. Louis?  Weren't they picked to win their league or something?  Ridiculous... 
Would we storm the court, having made a recent habit of beating them like a drum?  Ridiculous...

But we did storm the court the first time we beat them.  You are right that the other two times we beat them at the ARC, we didn't.

The only problem I have with storming the court is the chance that people will get hurt.  The debate over whether it is cool or not interests me not one bit.

truth219

People know the risks in storming the court, just like drinking and driving , or jumping snowmobiles. People can make their own choices.

vuweathernerd

unranked slu, top 10 opponent. if they win, i say who gives a damn if they storm the court? they'll have earned it.

humbleopinion

Does anyone else have a problem with planning something that is supposed to be spontaneous expression of delight?
Beamin' Beacons

truth219

Id storm the court every chance I could. Its exciting

vuweathernerd

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 30, 2013, 08:50:28 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with planning something that is supposed to be spontaneous expression of delight?

if i've learned anything in my current assignment, it's that spontaneity is dangerous. that's how people get hurt and stuff breaks.

truth219

Then you stay in the stands. Let whoever wants to rush the court do it. I don't like others making choices for me.

valpo04

I present an article from the Washington Post about Maryland storming the court after beating NC State...

QuoteMaryland fans rush the court; cranky people get cranky

I used to share in the occasional crankiness of cranky folks who insisted that post-game court-storming was a sacred ritual to be reserved for only the biggest, manliest, most impressive wins.
But then I remembered that the one time I stormed the court (as a student at Delaware), it was fun. And that having fun is the point of sports fandom. And that there isn't a grand ledger in the sky tallying exactly how many people have stormed the court at how many inappropriate times. And that an "act like you've been there before" attitude from fans could also lead to bored Atlanta Braves supporters skipping playoff games, or bored Maryland basketball fans skipping, say, mid-week N.C. State games. And that anyone who actually argues that a program's goals and expectations are affected or altered or increased or decreased based on students running out of the bleachers to have 120 seconds of post-game fun is a stark raving lunatic who probably shouldn't have access to a keyboard.

Lighten up, Franci. Criticize college students for not going to games, if you'd like. But don't criticize them for showing up and having a good time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/16/maryland-fans-rush-the-court-cranky-people-get-cranky/

valpo84

It needs to be for something über-special. I don't particularly think beating a conference foe at home is RTC worthy. Conference championship to get NCAA berth - yes. Beating a major historic powerhouse (eg duke, uk, IU, unc) - yes. Notre Dame if Digger is coaching - yes; John McLeod or mike Brey -- no.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

KL31NY

Bradley stormed the court after beating Illinois State yesterday. Here's a link to a photo and discussion. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1790489&l=8d68250a0f&id=153254548042045

Edit for added context: Interstate 74 Rivalry within the MVC, Braves had lost 7 in a row and trailed 25-9 in this game before winning 83-77.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

I don't remember storming the court or any other students doing so during my school years.  It might have been because we didn't have any really big opponents in the ARC that we beat, and we were expected to beat anyone that came in.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 30, 2013, 08:50:28 AM

Yeah, if you have to ask before hand whether or not you should storm a court, I think you're doing it wrong.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: truth219 on January 30, 2013, 09:20:59 AM
Then you stay in the stands. Let whoever wants to rush the court do it. I don't like others making choices for me.

you miss my point. if you plan it and pass the word around, people don't get hurt. or are less likely to. it only takes a minute or two before everyone in the student section knows whether or not to charge forward at the buzzer.

KL31NY

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 30, 2013, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: truth219 on January 30, 2013, 09:20:59 AM

you miss my point. if you plan it and pass the word around, people don't get hurt. or are less likely to. it only takes a minute or two before everyone in the student section knows whether or not to charge forward at the buzzer.
I know when the students ran onto the court after the Butler game (2 years, 1 day ago today) that there was a little talk around the student section before the actual charge. One of the staffers working near the baseline even gave a quick heads up of sorts. We didn't necessarily plan it out, but we were all kinda aware of what we would be doing. That certainly helped.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

wh

Quote from: valpo04 on January 30, 2013, 09:24:21 AM
I present an article from the Washington Post about Maryland storming the court after beating NC State...

QuoteMaryland fans rush the court; cranky people get cranky

I used to share in the occasional crankiness of cranky folks who insisted that post-game court-storming was a sacred ritual to be reserved for only the biggest, manliest, most impressive wins.
But then I remembered that the one time I stormed the court (as a student at Delaware), it was fun. And that having fun is the point of sports fandom. And that there isn't a grand ledger in the sky tallying exactly how many people have stormed the court at how many inappropriate times. And that an "act like you've been there before" attitude from fans could also lead to bored Atlanta Braves supporters skipping playoff games, or bored Maryland basketball fans skipping, say, mid-week N.C. State games. And that anyone who actually argues that a program's goals and expectations are affected or altered or increased or decreased based on students running out of the bleachers to have 120 seconds of post-game fun is a stark raving lunatic who probably shouldn't have access to a keyboard.

Lighten up, Franci. Criticize college students for not going to games, if you'd like. But don't criticize them for showing up and having a good time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/16/maryland-fans-rush-the-court-cranky-people-get-cranky/

This has caused me to re-think.  Let the students have their fun - their way.

bbtds

17 point win by the Billikens over Butler and the Saint Louis fans STORM THE COURT!

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 31, 2013, 10:40:01 PM
17 point win by the Billikens over Butler and the Saint Louis fans STORM THE COURT!
After slaughtering the 9th ranked team in the nation.  I was there, and I was completely fine with it.

Funny story: in trying to express the magnitude of the win, St. Louis' Bob "The Rammer" Ramsey told fans, "This is not Savannah State."

zvillehaze

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2013, 12:59:20 AM
After slaughtering the 9th ranked team in the nation.  I was there, and I was completely fine with it.

Funny story: in trying to express the magnitude of the win, St. Louis' Bob "The Rammer" Ramsey told fans, "This is not Savannah State."

StlVUFan can confirm, but calling that a "storming" might be a stretch ... more like a "hey, let's walk down there and mingle around for a while".  But given the game was decided about an hour before the finish, I understand their lack of enthusiasm.  I heard two sides to the storm/don't storm discussion ... con: SLU went to the Sweet 16 last year, were preseason favorites in the conference and were actually Vegas favorites in the game and pro: it's been 10 years since SLU beat a top-10 team.  I guess I'm ok with whatever the fans want to do as long as no one gets hurt.

Several things have changed with Butler's move to the A-10, but a few things haven't.  It's still a big deal to play Butler (4 A-10 road game => 4 sellout crowds) and it's a big deal to beat them (2 A-10 road losses => 2 court stormings).  3 of their remaining 4 road games are already sold out, so those predicting that Butler would be "irrelevant" in the A-10 may have been a little off base.

bbtds

I liked listening to Bob Ramsey, the SLU radio guy, known as "the Rammer" and from his call on the radio it really sounded like they stormed it with extreme enthusiasm. I didn't watch the game.

Here is the words "the Rammer" used. 

The fans are storming the court, they are storming the court. Wow! what a demonstration by the students they are storming the court. It's a court storming at Chaifetz Arena. 

Maybe he was so excited that the students showed any emotion at all but he must have said something about the court storming 5 or 6 times.

StlVUFan

Quote from: zvillehaze on February 01, 2013, 11:27:11 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2013, 12:59:20 AM

StlVUFan can confirm, but calling that a "storming" might be a stretch ... more like a "hey, let's walk down there and mingle around for a while".  But given the game was decided about an hour before the finish, I understand their lack of enthusiasm.  I heard two sides to the storm/don't storm discussion ... con: SLU went to the Sweet 16 last year, were preseason favorites in the conference and were actually Vegas favorites in the game and pro: it's been 10 years since SLU beat a top-10 team.  I guess I'm ok with whatever the fans want to do as long as no one gets hurt.
I don't think "Storm the court" generally implies velocity when its used.  I think it just implies the students are no longer in their seats, they are now all on the court.

I would say they got into it when they got there (I seem to recall the mass of students formed a rectangle, almost as if by design), but they may not have literally "sped" to that position.

In fact, if they were more deliberate about it, that of course probably addresses your one concern (which is also my only concern).

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on February 01, 2013, 11:48:16 AM
I liked listening to Bob Ramsey, the SLU radio guy, known as "the Rammer" and from his call on the radio it really sounded like they stormed it with extreme enthusiasm. I didn't watch the game.

Here is the words "the Rammer" used. 

The fans are storming the court, they are storming the court. Wow! what a demonstration by the students they are storming the court. It's a court storming at Chaifetz Arena. 

Maybe he was so excited that the students showed any emotion at all but he must have said something about the court storming 5 or 6 times.
In 2005 (give or take) when Jarryd Loyd capped off that 72-71 upset over Milwaukee at the ARC, I hung out in the old (and I mean OLD) Crusader Chat room with someone whose handle was StlUWMFan.  All he had for the game was Todd's call and he was just going off on Todd's home-town 3pter call for being over-the-top excitement.  I asked, "have you ever listened to Bob Ramsey?"  If I'm a fan forced to listen to the opponent's pbp, I'd much rather listen to Todd than The Rammer.