• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/1/13: UWM @ Valpo Game Thread

Started by talksalot, January 31, 2013, 04:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 01, 2013, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: wh on February 01, 2013, 09:42:24 PMI am a firm believer in the law of reciprocity.  A day of reckoning is coming
I enjoyed beating them on their home court. I loved coming from behind 20 points and beating them on their home court. They must have been stunned and then starting blaming each other in the locker room.

They must miss listening in the hotel hallway their AD and Asst Coach bumping uglies through the walls.

talksalot

BTW, With that win... Valpo extends it's streak to 12-0 at Home in the 23rd game of the season dating back 21 years...just saying...

So, Looking ahead to game #24 on the schedule... over the past 20 years...

We are 6-3 at home and 6-5 on the road, 12-8 overall, BUT, we are 0-2 when playing UIC in the 24th game of the season, with both losses at the Pavilion.

Anyway...17-6... been a while since were at this record...

2001-02, Ended the Season 8-2, Losing to Kentucky in the NCAA in St. Louis
2000-01, Ended the Season 7-2, Losing to Southern Utah in the Championship game in Ft. Wayne... no Post Season at 24-8
1998-99, Ended the Season 6-3, Losing to Maryland in the NCAA in Orlando
1994-95, Ended the Season 3-2, Beating Western Illinois in the MidCon Tournament in the ARC...No Post Season at 20-8
1993-94, Ended the Season 3-2, Losing to UIC in Round @ of the MidCon at the Rosemont ... No Post Season at 20-8

The only recent year we've been any better:
1996-97, we were 18-5, ended 6-2, losing to BC in SLC

valpopal

It was one of those games where everything seemed to be going in the basket, even the most awkward shots, but this had to be the shot of the night. I snapped this picture just as Kevin was about to release the ball and fall flat on his back to watch the ball go through the net.

vusupporter

That play was just #6 on the Top 10 Plays on SportsCenter.

Smj

If you missed the play you can see it here...

Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Milwaukee Panthers (2/1/2013)

valpotx

Quote from: vusupporter on February 02, 2013, 01:10:20 AM

Good, I am not the only night owl that saw that  :).

This game will hopefully be a confidence booster for Bogan and Boggs.  Good to see Vashil get some minutes, as he really needs game time to improve.  I think that he can be a decent Antti-like player by his SR year, if he can get a little bit better hook shot and better hands.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: vusupporter on February 02, 2013, 01:10:20 AM

Dang it, missed it!

And Paul Oren said it _wasnt_ sports center caliber.

(Kidding aside, I thought he did a very fine job on color.)

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 01, 2013, 08:54:04 PM
Vashil tried a dunk (boinked but...) with under a minute left and a humongous lead.  (Shades of McCallum ??????).  Us Valpoites need to be careful about throwing stones at classless UDM.

I forgot the snark.

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on February 02, 2013, 03:37:54 AMAntti-like player

When you use that phrase it kinda sounds like he hates the other players.

:D
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

KL31NY

Kevin made 6th on the SC Top 10 with this amazing shot

Check the Valpo Memes thread for another look and more funny captioned photos
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1024.msg24971#msg24971
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpocleveland

Thanks Smj for posting the video recap of the game. Much more enjoyable to watch when they make every shot they take  :)

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on February 02, 2013, 08:47:34 AM
Quote from: valpotx on February 02, 2013, 03:37:54 AMAntti-like player

When you use that phrase it kinda sounds like he hates the other players.

:D
Especially when you misspell his name.

Pgmado

Props to Valpo Athletics (re: Aaron Leavitt) for getting the highlight to ESPN. Normally you need to have some sort of crazy dunk, or just be named Lebron or Durant, to get on ESPN Top 10. It's fitting that Van Wijk's Top 10 moment comes one year after he was on Top 10 for getting absolutely posterized by Doug Anderson.

KL31NY

Quote from: Pgmado on February 02, 2013, 06:35:26 PM
Props to Valpo Athletics (re: Aaron Leavitt) for getting the highlight to ESPN. Normally you need to have some sort of crazy dunk, or just be named Lebron or Durant, to get on ESPN Top 10. It's fitting that Van Wijk's Top 10 moment comes one year after he was on Top 10 for getting absolutely posterized by Doug Anderson.
Almost exactly one year ago, too, if I'm right. I want to say it was about this time of the year when that happened.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

crusadermoe

Thanks for the list of 17-6 starts.     The  2001-2002 team was the last big hope to win an NCAA game.  Lubos was a senior and Raitis Grafs a junior.  But they hit the Kentucky buzzsaw and I think UK won the whole thing that year after underachieving.    We were all kind of down on Lubos for a bad game afterward, but the long arms of Teyshawn Prince were guarding him every step.   
One more note......the Sweet 16 team actually lost to SLU in January and laid an egg at UIC so stubbing your toe doesn't block a good last month.

StlVUFan

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 03, 2013, 08:35:20 AM
Thanks for the list of 17-6 starts.     The  2001-2002 team was the last big hope to win an NCAA game.  Lubos was a senior and Raitis Grafs a junior.  But they hit the Kentucky buzzsaw and I think UK won the whole thing that year after underachieving.    We were all kind of down on Lubos for a bad game afterward, but the long arms of Teyshawn Prince were guarding him every step.   
One more note......the Sweet 16 team actually lost to SLU in January and laid an egg at UIC so stubbing your toe doesn't block a good last month.
I seem to recall Raitis had a pretty good game, and I definitely recall Jared Nuness hitting a 3 or two to draw Valpo within 9 with 2 minutes to go (or something like that).  It was his last game in a Crusader uniform and he was the last remaining member of the sweet sixteen team.

valpopal

Ben had a great shooting game against Milwaukee, but he can be thankful that in basketball, unlike other sports, points aren't deducted for style. On this 3-point shot by Ben, I think Ryan was whispering to Buggs: "Crikey, I believe he's attempting a Double Axel!"

valpo84

Kentucky did not go to FF that year. Maryland won it that year with Juan Dixon in 2002, and was FF the year before. We seemed to have a habit of playing teams that were or would be very successful. We played Mich St the year Mateen Cleaves won it in the 1st rd. Raitis had a good game. We played at Syracuse the year Mello won it. Uk that year was very beatable and we were given a solid chance to win, but Tayshaun was on early and their point beat us late. We couldn't hit open 3s all afternoon. Interesting note from that pod was Kansas played in the evening, and Marquette and DWade were after our game. Kansas and Marquette were in FF in 2003.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpopal

I like this picture I took of Bobby hitting his 3-point shot, not because it is a great photo, since I'd rate it as average, but mostly for the reactions of the two boys just over Bobby's right shoulder. One has his hands up with joy and the other has his hands holding his head almost Home Alone style, as if to say "Oh, No!"

Smj

Every time you post a picture I check your photo blog site to see if you have posted stuff...   I enjoy looking through your photos.  (I also like the kid at the top calling a three with rock-n-roll fingers.)

bbtds

I was glad to see someone not tentative shooting the three. Both Bobby and Buggy have hit a few threes this season. The difference is Bobby seems to have complete confidence when he shoots.

Smj

Quote from: bbtds on February 03, 2013, 01:17:13 PM
I was glad to see someone not tentative shooting the three. Both Bobby and Buggy have hit a few threes this season. The difference is Bobby seems to have complete confidence when he shoots.

Totally agree....

valpopal

Quote from: Smj on February 03, 2013, 12:09:15 PM
Every time you post a picture I check your photo blog site to see if you have posted stuff...   I enjoy looking through your photos.  (I also like the kid at the top calling a three with rock-n-roll fingers.)

Thanks for reminding me, Smj. If anyone is interested, I have now posted about 25 of my photos from the Milwaukee game at the Valpo Basketball Photography blog, which can be found at the following: http://photography226.wordpress.com/

Here are a few samples:

HC

I think Will is trying to convince the other guys that he has more hair then that fella from Milwaukee

historyman

Maybe a smidge more.

Who actually looks more like Mr. Clean?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann