• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

World Baseball Classic (en espagnol)

Started by agibson, March 10, 2013, 07:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

ESPN is carrying an ESPN Despotes broadcast.

So, ESPN (the mothership!) is broadcasting the Dominican-Puerto Rico game... in Spanish!

Wild!

Did anyone hear what the aftermath was of the Canada brawl?  Penalties?

valpotx

All of the WBC games are on ESPN Deportes for some reason.  I had to watch the US games in Spanish...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 11, 2013, 02:50:03 AM
All of the WBC games are on ESPN Deportes for some reason.  I had to watch the US games in Spanish...

The truth is that Anglophones are becoming a minority in some demographic sets. For the interest level of the Dominican/PR game more than 50% of the audience speaks Spanish. It's a different world we live in now.

KL31NY

I've also heard something along the lines that ESPN has to use the Deportes feed because MLB Network has rights to games as well. Maybe MLBN has a stranglehold on the English presentation of the games. Regardless, I'll take that free Rosetta Stone lesson to learn "receptor" and such...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

I was meaning that even the US/Canada game was only on ESPN Deportes.  Living in TX, I fully understand that there are a lot of people who speak Spanish  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

I thought it was interesting but I didn't watch it. I watched a little bit on the MLB network but I kept thinking "ESPN is losing a ton of viewers right now.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valporun

I think MLB Network has the rights on the WBC, as it is owned by Bud Selig, but ESPN has a market on the "World" portion of sports coverage, and with the long standing contract ESPN and MLB have together, it made sense to give the international language coverage to ESPN, because they already have it, whereas MLBN would have had to build studio space to do international coverage, and get tv stations overseas.