• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 12: Missouri State 12/19

Started by VULB#62, December 12, 2015, 09:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

I watched much of the MSU-ORU game and if I were betting the spread would take Missouri State. Tevonn is important but how much will he be allowed to play? Maybe we would like to hide him from the Belmont scouting report?

talksalot

After watching the Belmont-Middle Tennessee game the other night... I'm fretting the MoSt game more than Belmont.

VUfan

This Game will test us on the defense,  due to Travons return disruptions and Finals. Belmont the same and life on the road. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on December 17, 2015, 08:51:32 PM
I'm looking at a road trip, but to Nashville.

Tickets for the (Belmont) game are just $1, in advance!
I'll be there, we should look each other up.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that exorbitant price :lol:

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

Quote from: wh on December 19, 2015, 03:59:25 AM
Just when we get Tevonn back, we lose EVN:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/injuries-have-kept-valparaiso-from-showing-full-potential/article_3f59616f-ab99-5129-8a02-4b024d4f9e61.html?mobile_touch=true

Despite what the article says, if a hairline fracture is the same as a stress fracture (which it sounds like it is) you are usually looking at 4-6 weeks before the bone is healed and healthy enough for rigorous activity.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: wh on December 18, 2015, 03:10:20 PM
Not much on the MSU board, but I do like this:

Other than that I hope it is a good game. They are 9-2 but we would be 9-2 with their schedule.

So, they would have 2 losses on a schedule that includes 2 PAC 12 teams on the road, 3 games against teams picked to win the A-10, OVC and MAAC, and Indiana State and Ball State on the road?  I don't think so  :).

Any snide comments on our SOS now?
#CrusadersForever

nkvu

Nice win. Maybe most dominant and complete performance so far. Nice to have T. Walker back and playing back to form so quickly. Also nice to see D. Walker hit a couple of threes. If he can get it going we will be very tough to beat even if E Vic takes a while to get back.

a3uge

So does that mean Missouri State would be 10-2 with our schedule?

Valpower

Quote from: a3uge on December 19, 2015, 04:12:39 PM
So does that mean Missouri State would be 10-2 with our schedule?
I think their fans think their team beat themselves, so, yes.

wh

Offense falters. Missouri State gets trounced.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2015/12/19/offense-falters-missouri-state-gets-trounced/77300852/

Valparaiso made the NCAA tournament out of the Horizon League last season and returned more than 98 percent of its offense this year. The Crusaders already have road victories over Oregon State and Rhode Island this season, and the program is thought to be on the short list should the Missouri Valley Conference decide to expand once again.
"Absolutely," Lusk answered when asked if Valparaiso was a Valley-level opponent. "They can play with anyone in the country.
We had no answer for Alec Peters. He's just a difficult matchup."

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on December 19, 2015, 11:08:36 PM

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2015/12/19/offense-falters-missouri-state-gets-trounced/77300852/

Valparaiso made the NCAA tournament out of the Horizon League last season and returned more than 98 percent of its offense this year. The Crusaders already have road victories over Oregon State and Rhode Island this season, and the program is thought to be on the short list should the Missouri Valley Conference decide to expand once again.
"Absolutely," Lusk answered when asked if Valparaiso was a Valley-level opponent. "They can play with anyone in the country.

I wonder who wrote that?  :lol:

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on December 20, 2015, 12:58:11 AM

That's funny!  The thought never occurred to me that you might have written a piece for the opposing team's home paper. lol

So that begs the question - have you heard it being floated around in the MVC world that Valpo is on an MVC expansion short list, or is this simply Mr. Oren sending out a trial balloon?  ;)

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on December 20, 2015, 12:58:11 AM

Fascinating! Willing to share the details?  Did they approach you?

Seems like it has definite possibilities instead of, or maybe along with, a wire piece.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 18, 2015, 09:15:40 PM
Quote from: agibson on December 17, 2015, 08:51:32 PM
I'm looking at a road trip, but to Nashville.

Tickets for the (Belmont) game are just $1, in advance!
I'll be there, we should look each other up.

Nice!  It'd be good.  I think I've seen you from a distance, maybe in EE?, when at the ARC with your dad, some years ago, but I'm not sure we've ever had a chance to speak in person.  I'll admit, I was slightly taken aback when you didn't look like Bono ;)

I'll have five family members in tow, so my options will be a bit constrained.  Otherwise, I'd certainly propose a beer, or dinner, or both, etc.  But we should at least find each other at the game.  We shouldn't be too hard to find: two grandkids, two parents, two grandparents, hopefully sporting at least some Valpo gear.  We're in the section behind the Valpo bench, maybe 2/3 of the way up, on the half-court side of that section.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that exorbitant price :lol:

It made me seriously consider anti-social behavior.  Should I buy all the seats in front of me? All the seats behind me? A couple to either side?

I guess noone's going to buy out the stadium, but a ne'er-do-well with a holiday bonus to spend could buy out a section or two.

StlVUFan

Meanwhile, I looked up tickets for UIC-NIU on the 29th, and the website implies it's practically sold out.  Color me skeptical.

I will look for the gaggle of folks talking to each other.  I believe I'm row D behind the Valpo bench (section 114, unless I goofed).

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 21, 2015, 09:58:38 PM
I will look for the gaggle of folks talking to each other.  I believe I'm row D behind the Valpo bench (section 114, unless I goofed).

Ah, you booked early!  There were three rows that looked reserved, and you must be right behind those.

Maybe six rows behind you were mostly full, I went a bit further back to where I could get six close to the central aisle (somehow I don't like sitting behind the backboard - even in EE at the ARC I strongly prefer to sit on the center aisle).

I'd ask about Nashville, but maybe I'll wait for the game thread.

FWalum

Was wondering why the inconsistency in having game highlights on YouTube, maybe something to do with Christmas break.  I missed the play resulting in the Hammink dunk and was wondering if anybody knew the appox time this play occurred so I could look it up on the ESPN replay.

As a side note, in looking for the highlights on YouTube, I watched some highlights of Shane as a 16 year old tearing it up in the U20 dutch competition in February and April of 2011.  Was surprised to find out that he is relatively young for a redshirt Junior with a birthday of 7/22/94.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Had the opportunity to finally watch the game. Our defense is insane. Missouri State couldn't get a decent look all game. They had 1 three all game and that was Kreklow pretending he's Steph Curry. On offense, Valpo seemed to get a number of open looks and layups. Peters was dominant in 27 minutes. Men among boys. Tevonn seemed to be a bit rusty early on, but he was great in the 2nd half. Skara didn't play too well and got blocked at the rim at least 3 times, but he played some great defense.

It's great to have a complete, dominating performance over a lesser team at home; it's what Valpo should be doing. Business as usual.

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on December 22, 2015, 09:03:45 AM
Was wondering why the inconsistency in having game highlights on YouTube, maybe something to do with Christmas break.  I missed the play resulting in the Hammink dunk and was wondering if anybody knew the appox time this play occurred so I could look it up on the ESPN replay.

As a side note, in looking for the highlights on YouTube, I watched some highlights of Shane as a 16 year old tearing it up in the U20 dutch competition in February and April of 2011.  Was surprised to find out that he is relatively young for a redshirt Junior with a birthday of 7/22/94.

[tweet]679345108244803584[/tweet]

FWalum

Thanks very much for the Vine! Nice screens by both Peters and Adekoya.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Maybe I'm old fashioned and naive but I care more about scoring more points instead of the showboating that leads to blown easy lay-ups or lay-ins. The goal should not be slamming balls home but getting the points recorded.

Kudos to Darien Walker who many times takes his good old sweet time when he could be slamming it home and carefully lays in the ball so he doesn't blow it.

I also don't want to see the bench showboating by doing crazy dances on the sidelines. I guess it goes against the grain of the way my coaches taught me as a kid and I'm not happy with it. Of course now the players will want an apology from me----"how can you take away our fun?"

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2015, 01:34:12 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned and naive but I care more about scoring more points instead of the showboating that leads to blown easy lay-ups or lay-ins. The goal should not be slamming balls home but getting the points recorded.

Kudos to Darien Walker who many times takes his good old sweet time when he could be slamming it home and carefully lays in the ball so he doesn't blow it.

I also don't want to see the bench showboating by doing crazy dances on the sidelines. I guess it goes against the grain of the way my coaches taught me as a kid and I'm not happy with it. Of course now the players will want an apology from me----"how can you take away our fun?"
It's okay.  I wasn't entirely comfortable with the antics last March when E Victor hit that 3 to tie the game in the second half either, but mostly because when you're backpedaling with a faux phone to one ear, you might not be as focused as you need to be.

At the same time, there's nothing offensive to me about kids having fun with the game.  I still remember Skip Collins back in the early 80s when he had the Hardens, et. al., and he was quoted in the paper being asked about all the behind the back passes (I remember one full court behind the back pass from Roger Harden to the Furlin kid, can't remember his first name), and he said, "Hey, I like it.  They have these skills, why shouldn't they show them off for the fans."

I will say that it seems to me the number one objective with dunking is to remove margin for error, not increase it ;)

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2015, 01:34:12 PM

Why would a lay-in be easier there?