• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bo Ryan replacement

Started by wh, December 21, 2015, 12:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

When I first heard it... I was guessing Tony Bennett was contacting realtors in Charlottesville...

bbtds

I think Rob Jeter might be a good choice for UW AD Barry Alvarez. Jeter has done some good things at UWM. The academic situation would have to be closely monitored but it seems Alvarez could handle the situation as UW-Madison seems to keep their academic standards up.

valporun

I thought that UW had named Greg Gard as the "head coach in waiting" when Bo Ryan first announced he would be retiring after the season? I know Gard has the interim tag right now, but I think that was just preliminary based on "Oh S*&%!!! Bo's Retiring NOW".

ValpoHoops

No. Bo wanted that and AD Barry Alvarez said no. The state laws in Wisconsin are very different from a lot of places regarding how hirings and searches must be conducted. Naming him the "Head Coach in Waiting" without a formal application process (seeing as it would be a new position, rather than filling an existing opening) would have been considered to be illegal.

Alvarez will do a national search. Assuming that Gard does a good job, it will likely go something like this:

"So, Tony...do you want the job?"

If yes, it's Bennett. If no, it's Gard.

vu84v2

Mike Greenberg on ESPN had ripped Bo Ryan for retiring early to get 'his guy' (i.e. Gard) the job as his replacement. No idea if this will backfire, but it seems that the "Bennett or Gard" scenario makes sense.

zvillehaze

Quote from: ValpoHoops on December 21, 2015, 08:47:38 PM
No. Bo wanted that and AD Barry Alvarez said no. The state laws in Wisconsin are very different from a lot of places regarding how hirings and searches must be conducted. Naming him the "Head Coach in Waiting" without a formal application process (seeing as it would be a new position, rather than filling an existing opening) would have been considered to be illegal.

Alvarez will do a national search. Assuming that Gard does a good job, it will likely go something like this:

"So, Tony...do you want the job?"

If yes, it's Bennett. If no, it's Gard.

I think this is accurate.  Of course, if Bennett takes the job, then Bryce will definitely appear on the list of Virginia candidates.  In any case, Bryce, as always, will have a lot of opportunities after the season.

Every good program faces this dilemma.  If you're successful, your coach will be offered "better" opportunities.  It will come down to whether Bryce wants to take them or stay at home.  Better than being in a position where no one wants your coach. The good news is that, even if Bryce decides to make a move, your program is in a position to attract a very good successor.  All good programs are prepared for this should it happen.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 21, 2015, 09:20:19 PM
Mike Greenberg on ESPN had ripped Bo Ryan for retiring early to get 'his guy' (i.e. Gard) the job as his replacement. No idea if this will backfire, but it seems that the "Bennett or Gard" scenario makes sense.

If either Bennett or Hard get hired can they then join the union of Wisco college educators?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann