• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/10 @ Detroit Mercy Titans

Started by oklahomamick, January 09, 2016, 11:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on January 10, 2016, 12:51:23 PM
So Peters is good.

Very nice to see him explode.  From what I saw in five minutes everything was just an offensive explosion.  Peters slam dunk.  Dirty passing from peters.  Crazy dirty dribbling from Skara.  Looked like they could do no wrong.

Most points for a player in a half since... ?

Most points for Valpo in a half since... ?

SanityLost17

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 10, 2016, 11:30:37 AM
As mentioned prior, this team exerted a lot of energy on Friday night.  I expect us to be a step slow on defense and for a few guys to get into foul trouble because of it.  I still think we win, but it will be uncomfortably close with Detroit doing a lot of damage from the free throw line.

I was wrong...

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 10, 2016, 12:56:13 PMMost points for Valpo in a half since... ?

Not _so_ long, it turns out.

November 23, 2014 again Maine, neutral court.  54 in the first half for Valpo.

a3uge

On the road too. Bryce did a fantastic job getting his players ready for this.

a3uge

Where have I seen this before? 2nd half has been dreadful.

a3uge

Smj

The way the refs started calling the game in the second half has helped Detroit to get back into the game

Go Valpo!

bbtds

VALPO! - THE MAJOR mid-major or 3/4 major, maybe 7/8 major.

Smj

What was the flagrant foul with under a minute?

Go Valpo!

valpotx

Always fun to stomp a mud-hole in Detroit's @$$ :).  I don't know what happened at the end, but #23 was apparently throwing a bigger hissy fit than my 20 month old.  Who gets a flagrant-1 and then a technical in the last minute?  What a putz.
"Don't mess with Texas"

hailcrusaders

We are primarily a defensive team, but we can sure put up points (although Oak and Det have mediocre defenses).

Refs went a little crazy with the whistles in the second half.

Looked a little too close to previous Valpo-Detroit games for a few minutes there, but we stuck together and pulled it out.

Peters -- wow.

Was this game perfect? No. There are lessons to learn, but we got an 18 point win on the road against one of the better HL teams. Gotta feel pretty good.
#CrusadersForever

Smj

For a little while in the first I thought we were about to have a "statement win" on the road...   30+

18 is still awesome. ...

Go Valpo!

agibson

Might be hard to track down that "most points in a half" stat but great to see Alec claim a piece of Brandon Wood's most points in a D1 game record. Awesome to see that he -can- explode.  (Wood's points against GA Southern were more balanced, so there's a chance at least that Alec holds the single half record alone.)

11-11 you figure he's got a shot at the VU single game FT% record too, but I don't know if anyone keeps it. (The Horizon record is 18-18, and was in a league game.)

You think he can wrest POTW away from Felder, for a change?

Most points we've allowed in a win this season, but most points we've scored and probably above our average win margin, so maybe OK.

Our "win when Tevonn" scores 15 streak is still going strong.

(I hesitate to mention it on this thread, but RPI Forecast's calculated chance for us to run the regular season should rise to at least 13%.)

Could an RPI of 24 be the best Valpo's had in January?

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 10, 2016, 03:43:07 PMCould an RPI of 24 be the best Valpo's had in January?

Our defense slipped a little, according to KenPom, but still hanging in at #2 in the country.  Our offense improved enough to push us to #19 overall... highest ranking ever? Certainly the highest I've seen this season.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: agibson on January 10, 2016, 03:43:07 PMt POTW away from Felder, for a change?

I think he's got Tevonn to compete with this week.

VULB#62

Battle of the last two unbeaten HL teams on a Sunday afternoon.  Attendance: 1513.   :(  :-X

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on January 10, 2016, 02:12:03 PM
Always fun to stomp a mud-hole in Detroit's @$$ :).  I don't know what happened at the end, but #23 was apparently throwing a bigger hissy fit than my 20 month old.  Who gets a flagrant-1 and then a technical in the last minute?  What a putz.

Same mind set and lack of discipline that the Bengals displayed yesterday.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on January 10, 2016, 03:43:07 PM
Might be hard to track down that "most points in a half" stat but great to see Alec claim a piece of Brandon Wood's most points in a D1 game record. Awesome to see that he -can- explode.  (Wood's points against GA Southern were more balanced, so there's a chance at least that Alec holds the single half record alone.)

11-11 you figure he's got a shot at the VU single game FT% record too, but I don't know if anyone keeps it. (The Horizon record is 18-18, and was in a league game.)

You think he can wrest POTW away from Felder, for a change?

Most points we've allowed in a win this season, but most points we've scored and probably above our average win margin, so maybe OK.

Our "win when Tevonn" scores 15 streak is still going strong.

(I hesitate to mention it on this thread, but RPI Forecast's calculated chance for us to run the regular season should rise to at least 13%.)

Could an RPI of 24 be the best Valpo's had in January?
Yes, and its not even close.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 10, 2016, 04:51:04 PM
Battle of the last two unbeaten HL teams on a Sunday afternoon.  Attendance: 1513.   :(  :-X

Weather was a factor.

[tweet]686247717560004608[/tweet]

(3-4 inches)

vu72

Wow!  What a trip!  A couple of things caught my eye.  First, our starting five had 12 assts and 3 turnovers.  Overall 14 assts and 10 TOs.  We out rebounded them by 8 and shot 87.9 from the line!  Vashil had an off night but still had 3 blks.  Our defense let down in the second half but give them credit for adjusting and shooting very well. Still, 45 points in one half is not Valpo like.  Keith is turning into that kid who Majerus thought would be the best player he had recruited.  Today, 7 assts and zero TOs!  Great performance all around.

Oh yeah, what the heck is with Paris Bass?  Suspended for 7 games and today didn't start--for some reason.  This kid has NBA potential but again, getting the right players who can play within the system is so important.  Ray has had issues in this area for a long time.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

Another nice road win.  Wasn't too surprised that Detroit made a run to make it interesting, I imagine it is hard to stay as focussed defensively when you are just beating someone like they stole something.  Nice way to finish the game strong, and how about that Peters kid.  He is pretty good at basketball.  Alec is going to get a lot of press time, but Tevo Walker was outstanding both games and if he keeps hitting those threes at the rate he has been.........

valpo64

These 2 games in Detroit were probably the best week-end road trip that I can remember for a VU team.  Even though we had a few let-downs, both performances were pretty much dominating...and against 2 good teams.  This was Detroit's first home loss this season.  It was great publicity for Valpo as both games were network games and I would hope they will help in recruiting.

wh

Felder and Bass combined for 19 PPG against us on a pathetic 13-46 (28%) from the field.

Alec averaged 27 PPG on a combined 18-30 FG (60%), 14-15 FT (93%), and 12.5 RPG and 2 double-doubles.

Alec is off to a great start toward league MVP.     

SanityLost17

I think I would give Tevonn the edge of Peters for player of the week.  Both deserve it.  Perhaps co-player of the week?