• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 22, 2016, 06:13:20 AM
I don't see the big ordeal of giving Ivan a spot at the end of the bench.  It would have kept Skara and helped with potential Euro recruits. Plus I think its important for a Alumni to be on the staff.  Not very many places have this but I think its important. Programs do it all the time and I don't necessary think its slimy. 

You may want to rethink:

A Lesser-Known Human Trafficking Problem: Teenage Basketball Players

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/04/06/397822833/a-lesser-known-human-trafficking-problem-teenage-basketball-players

"Basketball handlers can make money even when their players don't rise to the professional level. That's because colleges will award coaching jobs and sometimes find ways to funnel cash to coaches and scouts who can steer top  to their teams. Officially, colleges aren't allowed to pay for players, but long-time sports observers say this happens with frequency. "You have these under-the-table transactions that occur," says George Dohrmann, a Sports Illustrated writer and author of Play Their Hearts Out."

Sent from my iPhone

chef

Lottich knew very well that he may lose Skara if Vujic wasn't hired, but he has too much integrity to play that game. Other coaches would have given in and found a spot for Vu strictly to keep the player. We should be very happy to have a new coach with great moral character.

crusaderboy

Quote from: chef on April 22, 2016, 09:39:42 AMLottich knew very well that he may lose Skara if Vujic wasn't hired, but he has too much integrity to play that game. Other coaches would have given in and found a spot for Vu strictly to keep the player. We should be very happy to have a new coach with great moral character.

You CANNOT start out your coaching career giving in to blackmail like this. Makes it easier to do it the next time, and the next time. And before you know it you have compromised yourself so much you can barely recognize yourself.

People, have we learned nothing from Blue Chips??

Good for Matt.

crusaderjoe

Just spitballing here, but I wonder what the President's office thinks about all of this.  I mean we have a press release from Valpo on April 6th regarding Bryce Drew's departure in which Heckler is quoted as saying that he "look(s) forward to rooting for another V.U." in alluding to Vanderbilt, and now we have a transferring player who is blocked from attending the very same institution that was alluded to in that quote.  Bizarrely coincidental, isn't it?

Pgmado

People, have we learned nothing from Blue Chips??
Amazing scene
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Br6pTVbSQ

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2016, 11:01:42 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on April 21, 2016, 10:26:19 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2016, 05:30:22 PM
Quote from: RS on April 21, 2016, 05:22:41 PMThank you Paul for an article well done.  Definitely feel for David, A young man that seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wonder if all our speculation on the Board has made it even more difficult for him to even think about changing his mind. Also, wondering why his name has yet to appear on the Verbal Commits website as it has been two days since his announcement. And finally how does everyone feel about VU blocking him to possibly transfer to Vanderbilt? Is there more to that story than we know about?
I was thinking the same thing as I read Paul's article.  I also felt that there was a left-handed swipe at Bryce for not connecting back with the NW Indiana press after he made the decision to leave.  It goes back to what some posters have mentioned -- no real mention of Valpo in Bryce's presser or afterward. Like, maybe, there was something festering way deep down that no one knows about (my evil twin, Oliver Stone, whispering in my ear here.)
I don't think it odd at all that a coach moving on moved on without much reference to his former home.
This was not your normal stepping stones passing through on the way to greener pastures. Bryce was the last stage in 28 years of the Drew family coaching string.  The Drews and Valpo BB have been/were synonymous for nearly three decades. That kid grew up in the ARC, played at VHS, helped make his dad a winner, brought national recognition to the university, returned to his alma mater, paid his dues as an assistant to his father and, when it came his turn, he had a remarkable run himself. None of that would have been possible if VU had decided after those first 5 lousy years to pull the plug on Homer. Sorry, but some acknowledgement of where one is from should be in order here.

I think this is all etched in fans inability to let go over what a coach moving on should do. He did what I expected.

VU2624

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 22, 2016, 10:27:52 AMJust spitballing here, but I wonder what the President's office thinks about all of this.  I mean we have a press release from Valpo on April 6th regarding Bryce Drew's departure in which Heckler is quoted as saying that he "look(s) forward to rooting for another V.U." in alluding to Vanderbilt, and now we have a transferring player who is blocked from attending the very same institution that was alluded to in that quote.  Bizarrely coincidental, isn't it?

the blocking of the player is perfectly normal. The school president rooting for another school is the more odd statement. How about "we wish him well" and leaving it at that.

FWalum

Quote from: RS on April 21, 2016, 05:22:41 PMAnd finally how does everyone feel about VU blocking him to possibly transfer to Vanderbilt? Is there more to that story than we know about?
Not sure that I agree with blocking Vanderbilt.  As has been said, the person that really gets hurt in all of this is David and I don't know that a school should be blocking a student for going anywhere if we truly have a young person's best interests at heart.  If David would go to Vanderbilt and have a wonderful remainder to his career and then goes on to make millions in Europe, why would we want to hinder that potential outcome?  That's what schools are suppose to help happen.  Will we be perceived as soft by other coaches and schools... probably, but what the heck, help the kids make the right choice for themselves even in this convoluted scenario.

I know this is a little bit different, but at Concordia Lutheran High School we sign off on any student that wants to transfer for whatever reason including athletics.  If parents don't want the kid to be there or if the kid is unhappy why make things worse by restricting a transfer.  I have seen kids drastically affected by the decision of schools to restrict transfers.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Isn't transferring for athletic reasons a violation of IHSAA rules? 

valpo64

I think you are right, wh. 
In addition college athletics are completely different from high school athletics...no comparison.  Besides, there is not near the degree of money, etc. involved as often is the case in the world of college athletics.

nkvu

Seems to me there are lots of messages being sent in this transfer situation with most of them unfortunate, particularly for Skara.  With the coaching change Skara's handlers took it as an opportunity to send a message to Valpo. "Put our guy on your coaching staff or else were pulling a player we control and probably cutting off a source of recruits". Straight out power play by intimidation bordering on extortion. New coach responds by sending message that he won't be intimidated. Says you can pull him but you're not going to get everything you want by blocking transfer to Horizon league schools some of whom recruited Skara heavily back in the day, and Vandy where old coach that had relationship with you went.  Also sending message to former coach saying you were our guy but now you are our competitor for players and while you have all the advantages a P5 conference gives you we are not just going to roll over and let you raid us.  We will use what little leverage we have to defend our program.

Also sending message to Skara and other players these handlers have under control saying if you're going to let these guys pull you from a situation you were happy with just to serve their ends you are not going to have everything your way. There are consequences for actions and you better get used to it. You chose to do what your handlers wanted because you felt it was in your own best interest. You may not have felt you had much of a choice but it was your choice none the less. So be it. Besides you still have over 300 D1 programs you can transfer to.

I think it sucks that Skara's handlers put us in this situation.  I wish everyone would simply act in the best interest of the player. But that doesn't seem to be the world we live in now.  All parties seem to use whatever leverage they have to further their own interests. Unfortunate.

usc4valpo

He may have done Bryce and other coaches a favor by blocking him. Lottich made the right decision - his New Trier and Stanford education paid off.

The sad part about this scummy situation is that it hurts Valpo a little talentwise in the long run. Croatian players, influenced by their sumbag mentors,  will be reluctant to play there.

Just Sayin

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on April 20, 2016, 11:38:08 PM
I reacted very strongly when Traitor boy (formerly known as golden boy) left as our head coach in search of fame and fortune.  I said he was dead to me.  Many of you criticized me for this comment.

Now you see why I made it.

I said this because the departure of the Drew family sets in motion a chain of dominoes which will be impossible to halt.  Within three years we will be back to the pre Drew era (4-24) and you will all be left holding the bag.

I for one am bailing early.  Thanks Bryce.

Get over it. Move on. Geesh.

FWalum

Quote from: wh on April 23, 2016, 09:56:47 AM
Only if the school from which the student transfers reports it as such, CLHS does not and signs off on the student transfer.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

Quote from: VU2014 on April 21, 2016, 05:43:24 PM
Bryce did a podcast with ESPN Basketball Andy Katz. He very briefly mentioned Valpo when he was asked about us. He gave the PR scripted line, "prayed about it, special place, blah blah blah" I'm happy for Bryce and I'm not going to lie he's in a pretty good spot and got a huge raise, but I'm not going to lie these wounds are still a little fresh and every time I hear some thing about Bryce it kind of (lightly) stings and (i hate that it) annoys me. When I heard Bryce met with branchen Hazen this week and they're in the top mix for him to go there it, just makes me think "what if" bryce stayed? Would we be likely to land him? But whatever. I'm excited for the Coach Lottich era and think we have a bright future. Sorry to get off the Skara topic.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15271556

Sometimes recovery is a b- :censored:

Just Sayin

Note to Vu:

Nobody is entitled to anything. Retaliation cause you didn't get what you want is a classless act.

nkvu

Quote from: vusupporter on April 23, 2016, 10:53:00 AM
Good look at this happening to a larger degree with Tubby Smith and Memphis: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25563443/inside-college-hoops-tubby-smith-is-facing-his-first-dilemma-at-memphis

I guess I'm not as surprised that this goes on at the high major level, particularly at schools that are trying to break into the elite group. When you control the kind of talent that could get a school there you have a ton of leverage. And at least the dad is open about what he is doing, as despicable as I find it as opposed to pretending it's the kid who initiated it like Skarra's handlers appear to be doing. I'm a bit surprised though that Skarra's handlers see that Valpo is in a place that they would be desperate enough to keep talent or that they think  Skarra is talented enough that Valpo would cave to keep him. To my untrained eye his first two years showed a player good enough to contribute with the potential to be a very good player by the time he finished his senior year. But nowhere near the level that Valpo should cave to extortion to keep. 

I suppose it is a backhanded compliment to the program that Skarra's handlers thought we had climbed high enough among D1 programs that we would cave to stay there. Whether Skarra was the kid who would make the difference is questionable. I wish he would stay but it will be interesting to see where he lands and how well he does there.  Will be interesting to see if Vu ends up at the same school in some capacity.

agibson

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 23, 2016, 01:57:14 PMNobody is entitled to anything. Retaliation cause you didn't get what you want is a classless act.

What's the opposite of devil's advocate? Permit me to go all Martin Luther-8th command here for a moment and try to find the best possible construction from the Maravilla-Vujic camp (but, frankly, Todd and even Paul Oren make them look pretty bad - and I'm inclined to believe those guys). What if Vujic _was_ promised something? Or significant hints were dropped, etc. Or Vujic and Skara _think_ that was the case, perhaps? Some kind of a misunderstanding, and then resulting hurt feelings. I could imagine how Skara, especially, might get caught up in this kind of thinking. If it looks like his mentor is being done dirty, he might be left with a bad impression of those who seem to be doing the double crossing.

humbleopinion

Quote from: FWalum on April 23, 2016, 01:23:57 PM
Quote from: wh on April 23, 2016, 09:56:47 AM
Only if the school from which the student transfers reports it as such, CLHS does not and signs off on the student transfer.
Yes, it's against the rules.  Just because the schools don't report the violation doesn't make it against the rules; it just means the student is allowed to violate them.  It also means that the administrators are lying when they are asked on the transfer form whether or not the transfer is for athletic purposes.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

I wonder what David's teammates think of him? Bryce and Luke (on the radio post games) and more recently Matt have all indicated how close this group is.  That they are all good friends that do everything together outside of basketball. How no one wanted the season to end because they were having that much fun.  How they held a players-only meeting called by Shane where everyone including David expressed support for keeping the team together.  Then, before the ink's barely dry on Matts contract, David just up and walks away, leaving his brothers high and dry. We can blame the clown that heads up the prep school and Benedict Vu Arnold all we want (and we should) but I'll bet money David's teammates aren't portraying him as a victim the way some of us are on the board.

I'm sure everyone on the team has had to make difficult choices, even at their age. Some of our guys may have grown up with far more difficult challenges than David has been faced with and yet found a way to avoid the gangs, stay away from drugs, or whatever the case. Let's be honest, David made a selfish choice based on misplaced loyalties. I don't wish him any ill will in any way, but that doesn't mean I'm going to tembrr him as some brainwashed little boy either.

VULB#62

WH, your thoughts are ones that to this point have not beenadequately voiced. Thanks for adding that perspective to the discussion.  I too have been wondering what the players are saying, thinking, doing relative to this predicament. The few player Twitter accounts I looked at are silent.

valporun

I keep thinking that Maravilla and Vujic were trying to take advantage of the coaching change, and it backfired because Coach Lottich doesn't believe in back scratching that gives an 'advisor' for an athlete a job just to keep a particular player on the roster after a coaching change. I'm glad that Coach Lottich stood tall to this, as it could have made some of his coaching and recruiting decisions really mess up what he wants for his coaching career. Good move, Coach Lottich! Valpo doesn't need to play that kinda of game to be successful at the D-1 level.

ValpoDad89

I am keeping this post straight on Vujic. Let's all keep this in mind Vujic had 2 bigger jobs post Valpo, Northwestern and DePaul. These are 2 major conference teams that have been garbage for more than some time so they have an air of desperation more son than their better positioned conference mates. NU hired Vujic to tap into his Eastern European connections and help develop bigs, after a time, he didn't do either and was let go. Goes to DePaul, gets Sandi Maricinius who was an Honorable Mention JCAA, came in with high hopes and delivered nothing. I can attest to that. Was supposed to deliver the East European players and work with bigs, he failed. There's a reason he was out of work for a year at his age, there's a reason why he was let go or not retained at his last 2 jobs. He isn't that good of a coach. Assistants that lose their jobs are usually the result of regime change, those considered good are gobbled up right away. Think about the Vandy Assistant that Bryce released going to Stanford.

Honestly guys, even if Skara who will always be gone, moves on, we are better for it. At the outbreak of the news (Drew leaving), if you were told (Peters withstanding because, he's Alec Peters), that all we would lose was David Skara, I think most, if not all, would've been okay with that. Is he a key contributor? Yes. Do college teams lose keys every year? Yes. Do good teams bounce back from it? Yes, yes they do. Is David Skara worth having a potential slug like Ivan Vujic on staff who has no real track record of developing players or bringing talent to your school in lieu of a guy who are new HC feels can? Hell NO. 'nuff said.

Full disclosure, I am not sure what happened to Ivan at NU but he was let go before Carmody was, so in essence he was fired by the current HC. The source I have, who is close to DePaul basketball, assured me that we (being DePaul at the time) were taking on better than advertised goods but he could deliver this Mariunius kid and Purnell was all for it and brought him on. Again desperate times calling for...

agibson

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 24, 2016, 02:35:34 PMThere's a reason he was out of work for a year at his age

I originally thought he might have had some kind of hiatus too, but, per the Oren piece,

Vujic spent the 2015-16 season serving as video coordinator at Marshall University in West Virginia.