• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's scholarship situation

Started by vu72, October 04, 2011, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Here is the roster for this year from the Valpo site:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/roster/

Am I missing something or do we only have 12 scholarship players?  Carpenter and Shelton are walk-ons so that leaves 12 other players.  do we still have one to give?? We are allowed 13.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sliman

Do you suppose he has not been cleared to play by the NCAA clearing house?

FWalum

Roster does not appear to be complete. Bio's are not updated and pictures have not been added.  Looks like this is a work in progress.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Seems odd looking at the roster and seeing none of the scholarship players will be graduating seniors. Unless something unforeseen happens, it is almost like this is a two-year roster and one should realistically approach the season as a work in progress with a new head coach aiming toward a stronger, more cohesive, and more mature team next year.

Perhaps knowing that these players will likely be together for two years will lessen the pressure a bit during Bryce's initial season as coach, and all can enjoy every evidence of progress with a hopeful eye toward next year. Still, I wouldn't mind being surprised by terrific results this year.

valpotx

Looks like Vashil's height got a downgrade from 7'1" to 6'10" as well
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: govalpogo on October 04, 2011, 09:24:09 AM
Where is Dino?

"Jakolis Up in the Air"

Jakolis, a six-foot-seven, 215-pound forward has been on campus since the middle of summer, but has not yet been cleared by the NCAA.

...According to a source close to the program, Jakolis' case is still being reviewed by the NCAA Amateurism Committee. That is all Valparaiso has been told for the time being.

In addition to Jakolis, Valparaiso is also awaiting word on the eligibility of Virgina Tech transfer Ben Boggs. Boggs transferred in the middle of last season and has applied for a family medical hardship waiver to be able to play immediately or at the beginning of the second semester, which would more than likely be on Dec. 17 against Oakland.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/article_846213e0-eed6-11e0-9564-001cc4c03286.html

vu72

I guess Paul Oren reads this board!  In any event, I disagree with him when he wrote:

If neither Jakolis or Boggs are available this season...well, it won't be good for the Crusaders.First off, Jakolis might redshirt either way.  He is a small forward with a bright future.  why waste a year of eligibility with guys like Broekhoff and Kenney able to play the 3.  His playing time would be very limited unless he is much better than advertised at this point.

Boggs is a much different story as he would be counted on to take up some of the scoring left by Brandon.  He will be eligible, probably in the second semester.  The decision then is whether or not you want him to play a year and a half or sit him for the full year and then have him available for a full two years. That's up to Bryce and Ben.

If Ben sits then more scoring will fall to guys like Bogan and Harris.  Harris would likely go to the 2 given the added depth at the 1 with Tommy's return.  We are very deep.  It really depends on how fast the pieces can fit together as to whether or not we are a contender this year or next, or both.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on October 05, 2011, 09:27:21 AM
I guess Paul Oren reads this board!  In any event, I disagree with him when he wrote:

If neither Jakolis or Boggs are available this season...well, it won't be good for the Crusaders.First off, Jakolis might redshirt either way.  He is a small forward with a bright future.  why waste a year of eligibility with guys like Broekhoff and Kenney able to play the 3.  His playing time would be very limited unless he is much better than advertised at this point.

Boggs is a much different story as he would be counted on to take up some of the scoring left by Brandon.  He will be eligible, probably in the second semester.  The decision then is whether or not you want him to play a year and a half or sit him for the full year and then have him available for a full two years. That's up to Bryce and Ben.

If Ben sits then more scoring will fall to guys like Bogan and Harris.  Harris would likely go to the 2 given the added depth at the 1 with Tommy's return.  We are very deep.  It really depends on how fast the pieces can fit together as to whether or not we are a contender this year or next, or both.

I agree with this. The minutes for Jakolis are already limited this season, and if he is unable to play, he could use the year to mature as a player. Although, his muscle would add depth to the team this season. In that sense, Oren is correct.

I think a couple of months is the most Boggs would miss, if he is available the middle of December, and that is not too bad. Still, as I said in another thread, if Boggs is not available for the whole year, I believe that he might be better off redshirting. I am told that is what Ben and Bryce have discussed and are seriously considering.

In any case, as I stated above, unless pleasantly surprised this season, I see this as a two-year roster with the first year mainly for developing and becoming a cohesive team that could credibly challenge for the championship next year. 

wh

Quote from: valpopal on October 04, 2011, 08:37:56 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on October 04, 2011, 09:24:09 AM
Where is Dino?

"Jakolis Up in the Air"

Jakolis, a six-foot-seven, 215-pound forward has been on campus since the middle of summer, but has not yet been cleared by the NCAA.

...According to a source close to the program, Jakolis' case is still being reviewed by the NCAA Amateurism Committee. That is all Valparaiso has been told for the time being.

In addition to Jakolis, Valparaiso is also awaiting word on the eligibility of Virgina Tech transfer Ben Boggs. Boggs transferred in the middle of last season and has applied for a family medical hardship waiver to be able to play immediately or at the beginning of the second semester, which would more than likely be on Dec. 17 against Oakland.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/article_846213e0-eed6-11e0-9564-001cc4c03286.html

Rest assured that any foreign player that played for Alan Huss at La Lumiere, Culver or anywere else Huss has graced the landscape will be under a microscope by the NCAA.

zvillehaze

Not sure if it means anything, but in the HL prospectus http://s3.amazonaws.com/hln/medias/files/109/original.pdf?1317416532 , it states that Boggs will be sitting out the first semester.  As vu72 pointed out, he could sit the entire season and have two full seasons left.  That decision really doesn't need to be made until he becomes eligible in December, although I think Bryce would like to know well before that time.  Unknowns like injuries, etc. could obviously impact the decision.

I would think that after playing in only 4 games last year, he'd be anxious to get back on the court as soon as possible.  However, sitting this year would appear to put him in position for significant playing time in '13-'14 after Bogan, Buggs and Kenney have all moved on.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on October 05, 2011, 09:27:21 AM
I guess Paul Oren reads this board!  In any event, I disagree with him when he wrote:

If neither Jakolis or Boggs are available this season...well, it won't be good for the Crusaders.First off, Jakolis might redshirt either way.  He is a small forward with a bright future.  why waste a year of eligibility with guys like Broekhoff and Kenney able to play the 3.  His playing time would be very limited unless he is much better than advertised at this point.

Boggs is a much different story as he would be counted on to take up some of the scoring left by Brandon.  He will be eligible, probably in the second semester.  The decision then is whether or not you want him to play a year and a half or sit him for the full year and then have him available for a full two years. That's up to Bryce and Ben.

If Ben sits then more scoring will fall to guys like Bogan and Harris.  Harris would likely go to the 2 given the added depth at the 1 with Tommy's return.  We are very deep.  It really depends on how fast the pieces can fit together as to whether or not we are a contender this year or next, or both.

The obvious problem with red shirting both Boggs and Jakolis this year is the lack of playing time available next year. Conceivably there could be a 13 man + Carpenter battle royal to escape the bench for a little playing time in the 12-13 season. So who would you redshirt next season?

vu72

A good question about who to redshirt. Next year we will be loaded with seniors and/or experienced players.  Not a bad situation.  I suppose no one would redshirt.  Sitting most of the year or with limited playing time would be rewarded the next when we lose Erik, Ryan, Matt, Will, Richie and Kevin. We might also lose Ben if he decides to play this year. That's potentially a loss of seven players.  Playing time will be abundant. Two of those slots have been filled but they will be freshman and willing to wait--I hope!

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on October 04, 2011, 11:45:11 AM
Seems odd looking at the roster and seeing none of the scholarship players will be graduating seniors. Unless something unforeseen happens, it is almost like this is a two-year roster

Nice to have the names updated on the web page!  I'm sure photos, etc. will come soon.

I wonder what the odds are that Buggs graduates, and plays his last year somewhere else?

valpofan56

Quote from: agibson on October 06, 2011, 02:47:12 PM
Quote from: valpopal on October 04, 2011, 11:45:11 AM
Seems odd looking at the roster and seeing none of the scholarship players will be graduating seniors. Unless something unforeseen happens, it is almost like this is a two-year roster

Nice to have the names updated on the web page!  I'm sure photos, etc. will come soon.

I wonder what the odds are that Buggs graduates, and plays his last year somewhere else?

That would require some other team wanting a 5' 8" completely one-dimensional player for only 1 remaining year of eligibility.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on October 05, 2011, 01:21:38 PM
A good question about who to redshirt. Next year we will be loaded with seniors and/or experienced players.  Not a bad situation.  I suppose no one would redshirt.  Sitting most of the year or with limited playing time would be rewarded the next when we lose Erik, Ryan, Matt, Will, Richie and Kevin. We might also lose Ben if he decides to play this year. That's potentially a loss of seven players.  Playing time will be abundant. Two of those slots have been filled but they will be freshman and willing to wait--I hope!
I would think that ideally no more than 11 healthy scholarship players should ever start a season on the active roster,and in some years 10 might be the better number. Last year we had 11 eligible scholarship players and Witt and Vucic almost never left the bench. So as of now since Capobianco must redshirt we are at 12 and would still like to reach 11 even if everybody comes in fit and ready to rumble. Looking even futher ahead we need to plan for 2 players to redshirt the 12-13 season and since everybody believes that could be the big year convincing anybody to sit it out will take a good sales job.

So what are the options?  If the goal is to maximize player development and to reach and stay at the top of the Horizon league then my belief is that Boggs (even though he could play big time minutes in his half season) will have to redshirt. Fernandez and Jakolis would be the likely frontrunners to sit out the 12-13 run.