• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Beacons at Redbirds 2/9 @ 7pm

Started by humbleopinion, February 09, 2022, 06:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Illinois State has manged to lose to every team in the Valley this year, but their three victories have all been at home including wins over Bradley and Missouri State.  They took Valpo to overtime in the ARC.

In our last matchup we had no answer for Chatman and Reeves, and we allowed 18 offensive rebounds.  We squanderd an eight point halftime lead, but held on at the end thanks, in part, to hitting all 16 of our free throws.

As is true of all of our remaining games, if we want to escape the bottom four, we need to win.
Beamin' Beacons

SanityLost17

It's a must win... 

and like all Valpo "must win" games in recent years...

We will lose...

Because that is what we do.     

vu84v2

Up four at the half. Feels like Valpo should be up by more, but they gave up two long threes at the end of the half. Taylor played very well.

oklahomamick

Good first half.  Where is everyone?
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

SIU down at halftime. A Valpo win and an SIU loss would put us in 6th place at 5-7, a half game lead over SIU at 5-8.

vu84v2

They all decided to roadtrip to Bloomington/Normal at the last minute.

vu84v2

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

I agree, plus we are now struggling to get rebounds.

vok22

I don't think we are playing particularly well. In fact I think we are playing pretty poorly. The other team is just, astonishingly, worse.

mj

Well, we're doing our best to throw this game away.
I believe that we will win.

mj

oklahomamick

Who had a worse last procession to win it?  Beacons or Red birds? 
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Lack of execution and lack of imagination (and coaching) in out of bounds plays has cost us 5 points a game this year.

oklahomamick

Why double team there?  We hadn't double teamed on night.
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Why in the blue hell are you double teaming a player 35 feet from the basket in that situation? Horrible.

VUSWIM08-12

Please fire Lottich , so bad at the end of games !

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Blew a 16(?) point lead to one of the worst teams in the MVC....I wish I could say I'm surprised
#CrusadersForever

AlaskaCrusader19

This team has such little offensive skill, it's rather incredible. It's time to move on.

justducky

Great end of game defense by the redbirds. They earned that tie and they earned that win.

valpotx

What a blown opportunity.  Krikke is just not clutch.  Any time that we need a big bucket from him, he coughs it up while trying to over dribble, claps his hands, and says something to himself.  Agreed on wtf we were thinking in double teaming so far away from the basket, only down 2.  Just let him be man on man, and take a long shot.  If he makes it, you at least made him earn it, versus giving up an opening under the basket.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

Up 16 with less than 16 minutes left in the 2nd half and we threw it away. What's sad is that deep down, I knew we would blow it. Typical Matt Lottich game.

vok22

I am sure there are some worse coaches out there, but I haven't seen them. I don't have any inside access to the program or anything, so I can't say whether Matt was just unprepared when he took the job or what the situation is, but he really needs to go. The longer he has the reigns, the less and less likely it is this program ever recovers. I hate to say it, but I can't really think of any players I care to have back next season either. I don't see anybody irreplaceable. Perhaps that falls on the coaching staff too, none of these players have improved significantly since I saw them first. Edwards still plays carelessly after almost 2 years, Krikke has regressed since last season in my opinion, Eron Gordon has regressed, Woodyard isn't going to last as an MVC player. There are 3 or 4 people on the roster that are essentially just dead weight, never even had a chance to play in a game. Is Connor Barrett an actual person or am I just imagining somebody? There was freshman on the team that shot 40% from three last year who occasionally started right? What happened to him?