• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Basketball vs Valpo Athletics

Started by tiny707, May 04, 2023, 07:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Always seemed like Valpo Athletics promoted the program more than Valpo Basketball on social media in the past. Never understood that. Hoping things change now with this new staff.

covufan

Quote from: tiny707 on May 04, 2023, 07:04:34 PM
Always seemed like Valpo Athletics promoted the program more than Valpo Basketball on social media in the past. Never understood that. Hoping things change now with this new staff.
Tiny ain't wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlimJimJZ

A fun note just looking at Twitter, Valpo Football has more followers (28.4K) than both Basketball (9.7K) and Valpo Athletics (12K) COMBINED.

As a Football Alum, I love to see it. However I'm not blind to the issue that the biggest sport for the University has a third of the following on that platform.

tiny707

That pretty much sums it up. I don't think the blue bloods promote on their athletic sites and pages. I assume they promote on their basketball sites and pages.

crusader05

I'd think that a lot of followers on accounts are potential recruits and coaches plus former players. In that area it's not surprising football would maybe have more. I don't think that you are going to get anyone outside of the valpo world other than some reporters following our twitters. I think that if Basketball tarts to consistently hit the main stage you might see that shift.

Dr. T

This area is quite honestly a low cost with potentially high reward / low-hanging fruit opportunity to take advantage of. Why? Because you have current students, who are immersed in social media. They are brand ambassadors, social media influencers, or (at a minimum) digital media consumers. Not to mention the fact there are students with majors in marketing who are focused on social media platforms. No excuses here not to be active on this front. You do not need donors for this, like building a new venue.

VULB#62

Quote from: SlimJimJZ on May 05, 2023, 12:24:34 PM
A fun note just looking at Twitter, Valpo Football has more followers (28.4K) than both Basketball (9.7K) and Valpo Athletics (12K) COMBINED.

As a Football Alum, I love to see it. However I'm not blind to the issue that the biggest sport for the University has a third of the following on that platform.

Interesting figures, Slim. Obviously with yearly rosters of 100+, FB just generates more potential followers.  But if FB social media wasn't vibrant, who's gonna follow, right?  Part of FB's need to maintain a vibrant presence is that it is the life blood of their recruiting.  FB recruits differently from MBB and depends on the staff following potential players and potential players following them. Look at the style and tone of FB on their Twitter site. It is clearly more than informative, it is promotional toward recruits. That builds numbers.

Recruiting-wise, MBB has so many other sources of information about and contact with a much, much smaller pool of potential recruits. That doesn't mean social media is unnecessary. It's just that in the previous several years, it was not high on the staff's list of recruiting and promotional tools. Not so now.  Apparently, Roger has a different view. 🧐

historyman

Anyone know who Patrick Fazio is?

Do you know where he played college football?

NBC 5 WMAQ Chicago TV news anchor/reporter

Valparaiso (as he says in his bio--NCAA Div 1 AA)

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpo89

Quote from: historyman on May 07, 2023, 11:57:41 PM

Patrick Fazio was a receiver for the Crusaders. Last I knew, he was a reporter/anchor on Channel 5. Not sure if he left for another station or not.

Pgmado

Quote from: historyman on May 07, 2023, 11:57:41 PM

Patrick Fazio hired me at WVUR when I was a student. He, along with Karl Berner (who works for Valpo's ESPN streaming crew), are the reason I got my start in media.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I've noticed a significant increase in VUBB Twitter postings now that Roger and his staff have settled in. Very positive stuff being put out there. That's a good thing. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

crusader05

Yeah it's way more engaging than it has been in years past which is great. Hopefully that can lead to follows or at least more national exposure. It's also good because it creates more content for other areas to engage with. I've noticed the Career and Alumni Twitter account has also been way more active lately which has been enjoyable.